Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems

Being 20 and i need IVF in the next few years due to PCOS (Advice Needed)

Hi all,

Since i was sixteen i always knew i have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome but the chance of me children would be harder but possible. I am now twenty and have recently undergone an emergency operation to explore why i was having severe abdominal pain. The outcome was not as i expected. The general surgeon told me that he had to call an on call gynaecologist in to the theatre suite as my Polycystic Overies are some of the most severe he has seen in someone my age. He told me that i may never concieve naturally and i only have a short window of having children with the help of IVF. Even though i would love children im not ready to be having a child, i still have a year left of nursing studies at university and i dont have a partner. I dont wont to risk losing my chance to have children but i cant afford to postpone my career. If anyone is in a simular boat or has any advice it would be much appriciated.

Replies

• I am also 20 with pcos. Last year I had an ectopic pregnancy and so it looks to me like my chances of having kids are bad. I'm trying very hard to get pregnant and I know it's wrong cause I don't have a job or boyfriend but I'm kinda still with my baby's dad from the ectopic but I want kids so bad I can not risk waiting but really it is a hard choice and its up to you, good luck and I'm so sorry xx
  • Its a hard dicision ive read so much information. Im definately want a child just waiting to see my gynacologist to move forward and get on the list for IUI and IVF. Hope you get what want. Have you thought about IUI? xx

• No I haven't, what is that? And yes it is image thanks and same to you image xx
  • Its artifical insemination it an option to think about before ivf as you have to be 23 for ivf . Xx
  • Interesting image thanks! I will defiantly ask my doc about it xx
  • Yeah worth looking into im entitled to six trys on the nhs you can either use donor sperm or a partner. Your drs can refer you to a centre of reproductive medicine. Im going to personal message you my email address and i cansend you some info x
  • That would be great! Thank you
  • hiyah,

Ive personal messaged you im not sure if you have recieved it. I hope you have.

Kirsty xx

• Yes image I emailed you
  • Hi, I was diagnosed with bad Pocs aged 26, but had not met the right man and was busy with career etc. Anyway I have always had very irregular periods, but fell pregnant pretty quickly, but sadly it was ectopic, after that it took me 18 months and then 7 months of clomid, we fell on the last month just as we ha been referred for Ivf. Anyway 3 years on we started thinking about ttc again and we got our referral to fertility after being told I'm not ovulating (after blood tests) but bingo we fell first month of trying naturally. Is crazy. I'm 35. And so don't think the worst. Lots I'd possible and miricales happen. You re both young, so good luck, I'm confident you will be mummies if that is what you want. X
  • Aww thank you and sorry about you troubles image hope you get to be a mommy soon as well image
  • Im glad to hear a happy outcome. But ive been denied ivf till I've been with a partner for ayear and no success concieving. Not easier finding a partnercthat you can think about having children with x
  • Oh no! I'm so sorry, I'm trying as well but have not had any luck yet. Keeping fingers crossed for this period not to start. For the right reasons lol ill keep them crossed for you as well Hun image xx