Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PCOS & Metformin

Hey Everyone..

I was suffering with bleeding lasting 3 -5 weeks, went to the doctors and after blood tests and scans, he diagonsed me with 'boardline PCOS'. He then put me on 500mg twice a day, This is roughly two months ago. Thankfully my period is now back to normal...

Can anyone shred some light about PCOS, Metformin and getting pregnant. I feel somewhat negative about it at time.

Thanks xx

Replies

• Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2009. I've been spending the past few years trying to research this condition myself due to my doctors not been of much support. PCOS or other words Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a condition where instead of our eggs been released to the womb they develop into cysts, from time to time these can either get worse or just stay the same. Losing weight and been on Metformin has been known to ease some of the symptoms of this. Acne is the worst, I suffer that badly yet no doctor is offering me any help to do so. I've been TTC with my partner for nearly 2 years yet I haven't succeeded. With the right support you will get there. If you need any more advice let me know. I'll be happy to speak to someone in the same situation as me. x

• Thank you Kirsty! I hope it happens for you and your partner soon image. I haven't had much symptons of PCOS, I've always suffered with quite bad spots since actually starting my period, It was being on my period for 3 - 5 weeks at a time, and having 1 - 2 weeks off it that was just terrible. I've heard alot of people getting pregnant on Metformin, but I've mainly heard about women having no periods then having medication to start them coming on. xx

• oops just read the rules so removed it just to be safe. Was just quoting it but not sure if that is allowed in seperate discussions.  
  • Aww Joy1987 I hope everything goes well for you. I actually find out I was pregnant on tuesday, I'm roughly 5 - 6 weeks! I'm so over whelmed by it. x

• ...that was someone elses post I copied for you but congratulations!!! I have just begun the journey of TTC but my periods have been constant for over a year while having Implanon. I got implanon out in Oct and went on pill but had my last one yesterday so fingers crossed. Hoping the constant periods show that I was/am at least ovulating but I have no idea how to find out without going to docs. I think I will see what happens with periods now I'm off pill then go to docs and find out about ovulation. 

• hi all, I am on metformin medication as I have pcos, just started on 10th April.
    My cycles are very irregular and period comes as often as twice in a month. My cycles have never exceeded 29 days. But now it's already CD 36. My previous period was from 25th March - 2nd April.

My husband and I hade intercourse on 11th April & 14th April. My question is why is there a delay in my period? Is there any possibility that I may be pregnant? I've taken a pregnancy test a week ago but was negative.

My symptoms are bloating, nausea, headache, cramping, backache
    Really appreciate your feedbacks. Tq