Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

is it necessary to treat pcos??

can anyone(better if a doctor gynaecologist) explain,that if its neceesary to take the pill(medications) regularly to treat PCOS??? i m 22 years old,,i never had my periods regular,i have used multiple drugs to menstruate,,,since last 2 years my periods have become regular,but last only for 2 days,, i have consulted my gynaecologist,she said we can treat hirsutism(hair growth and acne) by giving anti androgens,,, i am surprised about that ,,,ino proper treatment for PCOS??? further she asked me to marry and conceive as soon as possible image but i have to complte my studies ,,i cnt marry for atleast 5 more years,,, i never feel any pain during mentruation,,i was obese,,but now i have lost 15 kg(previously it was 70 image) ,,,kindly give me some good advice,,,one thing more i had hormonal test+ultrasound on 4 feb 2013,but i was told to repeat hormonal test on 2nd day of periods and u/s on 10 day,,above all i believe fertility and all the other things are in ALLAH ALMIGHTY's hand,,He will definately do something better for us,,,image

Replies

• It's not necessary to treat PCOS with the pill, a low GI diet and regular exercise can work wonders.  I'm turning 30 (this weekend), was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 and after 22 months of trying switched to a low  G.I diet and am now sat here with my gorgeous 15 week old baby boy asleep in my arms.

It should be noted that PCOS can lead to diabetes which in turn can lead to a whole host of other health problems so managing PCOS through diet is important.  A great book is 'Managing PCOS for dummies'.

• thnx mam,,should i repeat tests and ultrasound on 2/3 day of my periods and 10th day respectivly??/ although all male hormones and LH are elevated in my tests..but doctor told to repeat them ,,,well i have diabetes running in my family,,,should i do sumthing to prevent it or should take insulin resistance controlling medicine?? what about the duration of periods,,,that last only for 2 days,,,and the flow is not good,neither th color of blood?? :/ CBC and ESR are normol,,

• I'm afraid I cant answer any of those questions, I would say do as your dr has said and get the tests redone and then see what they say following the results.  The rest are questions for a dr.

Good luck.

• very well mam image thnkew soo much image