Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems

Migt have PCOS but slightly confused...help?

Hi ladies!

Yesterday I went to my gp as I've got progressively worried about my periods. I've always thought something was wrong with them, but the last 6 months have made me certain something is up. I'm 20 (21 soon) and started my periods at the age of 12, nearly 13.

Anyway...my cycles have been all over the place, never have ran like clockwork, for example in January I had a cycle as long as 42 days, and this month it was 37 days. From January I had a rapid weight gain, from a size 6 up to a size 10, all within a matter of a month, but I put this down to the long cycle causing water retention or something lol! Since January I have had a cyst on my face, along with what my GP refers to as acne (I put these nasty zits down to stress!). Anyway, the final straw came this month when I passed a LARGE flesh like thing during my period. For years I've always had pain around my right ovary, occasionally feeling incredibly heavy. Anyway, my gp straight away booked me in for an internal pelvic ultrasound for next week.

I know there's no diagnosis yet, but I'm worried! I'm already expecting the worst and have been researching everything PCOS related...fertility drugs, herbal remedies, vegan diet plans...the lot! Lol.

I'm just terrified about the fertility implications of possibly being diagnosed with such a condition. My main confusion is..

i thought women who didn't ovulate didn't have periods? but those with PCOS do have periods (just less)?

ive read that some sufferers only have a few periods a year. However, if I did have PCOS, is it more reassuring that I have about 10/11 out of the normal 13 periods a year, in terms of being able to ovulate naturally?

As for the fertility drugs, are they similar to BC pills? In regards to being unsuitable for people who suffer from migraines with aura (an high blood pressure, when in the drs surgery lol).

I know I'm stressing out before a diagnosis, but I'd really reaaaally appreciate any input

Replies

• Hi, firstly I too suffer from PCOS but I suffer primarily from the symptoms rather than the cysts on my ovaries. I don't get cysts although the cysts can be that small they can't be found on an ULTRASOUND.

I was told I had PCOS in August 2012 when I was 25 years old. However I had shown signs from the age of 8 by starting my periods and becoming incredibly hairy very quickly. I was ridiculed and picked on at school as I was the youngest girl to start my period along with the fact I was called a ''freak show'' for being incredibly hairy. I suffered from underweight issues for years which was down to being anorexic and bulimic from the age of 13 upwards. I also battled with male patterned baldness as well as losing 3 babies from the ages of 18-21. At 25 I was rushed in to hospital after catching a womb infection after having a cycloscopy. In August 2012 I was told (And I also have letters laying around somewhere) saying it was highly unlikely I would be able to conceive naturally. I felt alone, scared, isolated and like my world was falling around me. I knew my sister had PCOS and was able to fall pregnant via IVF. I really thought that was going to be the case for me and my partner. I am proud to say I am 11 plus 3 weeks pregnant and baby REED is due 15.1.14. 

We have set this group up on Facebook to help ladies understand PCOS 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/425636160847973/

Hope I have helped. xx

• Hi

I have pcos as well and had very irregular periods since starting at 15. I was diagnosed in 2002 after mt first miscarriage. I was told we would never conceive naturally due to low hormones. I had metformin snd cl9mid and finally hsd my first son in 2007after 4 years of trying. I then had the same medication to have my second son in dec 2009. We were ppleased and decided to stop there. But without ant help or trying I had a little girl 17months after baby no 2. Then we really stopped and I was on the pill but my body had other ideas and I have just had baby number 4. I have really bsd migraines, weight issues and fits but the medication was manageable with this. I found that the. more I stressed about it theworse my body was but it is only now that I can see that.

Good luck with your outcome
  • I also have PCOS, was diagnosed at 18 after an ultrasound.  I have long cycles average 44 days and occasionally much longer.  My hubby and I tried for 2 years before I fell naturally with my son who is now 7 months old.  After trying for 22 months we altered our lifestyle slightly and *BOOM* 2 months later I was pregnant, I took Agnus Castus, had sex every other day from CD8-CD27, used conceive plus (from boots) and went onto a low GI diet.  Don't be too disheartened having PCOS doesn't necessarily mean no kiddies - look at victoria beckham and jools Oliver, both PCOS sufferers and 8 kids between them. X

• Hi!

People with PCOS can still have a bleed, but it doesn't mean you've ovulated. The way you can track ovulation is through charting your temperatures and/or ovulation sticks - try reading 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' - it's honestly fantastic and makes all this baby-making equipment sof ours much easier to understand, even if it doesn't function quite as we hope image 

Good luck! xxx