Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Metformin side effects

Hi so I'm 26 been ttc for 16 months and finally been offered metformin. I was warned about side effects, I am on 850mg twice a day, and constantly having diaoreha or pain in tummy. Often having it once or twice a day. Last few days I've felt sick too! Sorry for tmi. When will these symptoms stop ?! This morning I could feel and hear my tummy grumbling and knew it was going around intestines. Please help as I really want to fall pregnant but need relief from this it's a good job I'm not at work for Christmas period else I would be running out on my classes ! 

Replies

• hi just wondering how long these side effects lasted and if you concieved on metformin im on my 3rd week on 1000 mg and the past 3 days been so sick tired and feel awful and to make me feel worst i have to up my dose to 1500mg with in the next week

• I was on Metformin and it made me SO SICK. My cousin, who also has PCOS told me about Glumetza. It's the same thing as Metformin, but it's time released. I take it and I don't have any side effects.

• I've found now been on it over a month need to up my dose tomorrow to 3 times a day but tough wood at the moment i haven't had any more sickness if i have it after food

i may give that a try though

• I had metformin before feb up to may they make me so sick its just normal, before my doctor adviced me to take them two x a day but my body is having a hard time so she made them once a day and the sickness became tolerable.

• When I took Metformin, it didn't matter if I took it with food, without food, or whatever. I got sick. I'm serious ya'll. Glumetza has changed my life. I can take up to 3 a day and I don't get sick at all, I can take them with or without food, and it doesn't make me sick. I would seriously ask your GP or OB/GYN about it the next time you go.

• Thats a great help, i will ask my ob about it, are they lpmost like clomid or different, i would like to try clomid if ill get a result of bfn on my 4th test, just got my 3rd home pregnancy test and they are all faint lines, hoping for my luck this week to get a clearer answer, 

Baby dust to all ♥