Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Confused and Concerned

Hey there so this is a pretty long and confusing story but here goes. I'm a 19 year old boy who is, along with his girlfriend, intensely confused about whether we will be expecting a child. So, we last had intercourse on the 28th of January which was 2 days before her expected period and also on the 15th of January which according to a period calender application she has on her phone was a high ovulation day with a slightly increased chance of pregnancy. After this, she had family issues whch resulted in her moving out to a friends house. On the 6th of February she informed me she had missed her period by 6 days and this had never happened to her before (The most she had ever been late before was 2 days) and this set alarm bells ringing, now bare in mind I am VERY careful with protection, we have never had sex  without some form of protection and I'm fully aware of how to put on, take out, remove and finally dispose of a condom. She cannot take contraception because she takes many prescription drugs for various mental health issues (She is however, still capable of living a happy and normal life and I love her just the same).

As time progressed she was complaining of feeling nauseous at specific times (Evening time to around 11pm), she had a heightened sense of smell, and had cravings for normal salty and sweet foods (No odd combinations like boiled fish and whipped cream as a rather hilarious example haha). At one point she mentioned frequent urination but I never heard about that after.

As time went on even more the same symptoms stayed but with the inclusion of slightly sore breasts, and a decrease in appetite for around 4 days and nothing added, there was no back pain, no bloating, no discharge, no darkening of the areola's etc.

She took 3 pregnancy tests before being 2 weeks late all of which came back negative, she then took one exactly 2 weeks after being late whch also came back negative. Then she went to a local GP on a day that nurses only were on hand (Pretty sure that isn't a GP but I have forgotten what it is called) and the nurse who saw to her said it was unlikely due to our use if protection.

She was then referred to a doctor due to other issues  who took a blood test (For RBC count, not hormonal) which came back negative, an ECG for heart rate and then she personally requested a urine test for pregnancy which again, came back negative. This makes 5 negatives and no positives

Replies

• (I forgot to mention that she had slight spotting which lasted 3 days on and off maybe about half a week before the following part of the story).

She then booked an appointment with her actual GP to which I accompanied her to as now it was suggested it could be PCOS which runs in the female side of her mothers family. After a heart stopping and anxiety producing wait she was STILL told that it was a negative result after having another urine test making 6 negatives. om the same day she was referred to another hospital for a hormonal based blood and urine test as well as a scan for PCOS. Both hormone tests came back, as you may have guessed, negative making 8 negatives and the scan came back negative for PCOS also.

Believing it was all over, she told me on Wednsday that she was still feeling like she may be and only told me not to worry because she couldn't bare seeing me upset (She later clarified that she hadn't lied about the tests or anything, they WERE all negative etc) and she took another one on Thursday which came back negative bringing the current grand total to 9 negatives and not 1 single positive. Currently she is complaining of back pain, hip pain and is having mood swings and is technically supposed to be on her next period at the time of writing which is confusing us both. I'm a sufferer of medium level OCD and a hyperchondriac with moderate to intense anxiety issues and this has played devil's advocate with me psychologically and has placed intense stress on my girlfriend and is causing her to become upset, stressed out, confused and highly worried about her body. Can someone, ANYONE, help put our minds to rest about this because we both aren't ready for a child and we have a large portion of our lives left before we could EVER settle down with a child.

• Wow that's a lot to get your head around and I can see why you are both stressed. If there was any chance of pregnancy it would most likely have been picked up in the blood tests. You have left sufficient gaps between testing for any hcg levels to rise and turn in to a positive if you were pregnant. Unfortunately the human body is so confusing and the slightest thing can affect it. I once was three weeks late on a period for absolutely no reason. I wasn't on medication, I don't suffer with pcos and I wasn't under any obvious stress. I just had to put it down as one of those things. Considering everything you have said about your girlfriend I think the most logical answer would be a combination of stress, a change in living situation is enough not even taking in to consideration family issues and possibly a side effect of the medication she is taking. You are taking precautions so really there isn't alot else you can do. you have taken all the necessary steps to eliminating pregnancy so I think you need to take it as a negative and as one of those things. It is also worth bearing in mind that periods only happen after ovulation and it is possible to skip ovulation which would result in no period. This is called a anovulatory cycle. This could also be another reason for missing a period altogether.

Hope I've helped reassure you a bit more. Good luck to you both.