Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems

Scared Chlamydia could now have made me infertile

Hi,

Please can someone offer me advice or support, I'm literally going out of my mind with worry...

I have just been told I have Chlamydia. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years, neither of us has cheated and I'm the only person he has slept with without a condom so I know it was either from my ex of 5 and a half years (he told me he hadn't got anything when we started going out and he was pretty disgusted at the thought of having one) or one of 3 guys I was seeing between boyfriends (which is probably most likely). I have never had symptoms that I'm aware of and neither has my bf which is why we never tested before. I'm petrified that I have had this for between 3 and 8 years. When I tried explaining to the nurse who gave me the tablets my fears that the Chlamydia could have developed into PID she didn't seem bothered and told me that if nothing happens after a year of trying go and get some tests. That would mean a further years worth of damage to my insides if i do have something. I'm literally making myself sick with worry that I have ruined my chances having children now and it's tearing me up that I could have cost my boyfriend, who is the nicest caring person in the world, the chance to be a dad. Every time I google it there has been horror stories and I just cant deal with it. I'm going to the doctors next Friday to try and insist they do tests but they probably wont until I've been ttc for a year.

Please can someone shed a ray of hope for me. I'm going to bits over this :(

Replies

• Sorry to hear of your situation! I have also had Chlamydia & had trouble discerning exactly when I would have gotten it, other than the fact that I'd been tested for STDs at regular periods. I'm Native American so I get free health screenings from my tribe.

• Sorry- my post posted early!

Anyway, I know the longest I could've had my Chlamydia was probably a year. It is still scary to know the consequences of the infection, though.

I would consider your facts- have you gotten pregnant before? Any history of miscarriage? What about your family's history? Do you know how advanced the Chlamydia was, when they caught it? Do you feel comfortable asking any of those past partners for their status? These can all help you form a realistic, happier estimate for your chances of pregnancy in the future.

There are a lot of medications meant to improve fertility, one is to get on birth control which can increase your natural hormone production in the long run & stimulate healthy, regular periods, which are pretty much all you need in order to actually get pregnant. But to STAY pregnant is the question. I experienced a miscarriage sometime during the time I had Chlamydia but didn't know I had it. This was probably due to my scanty menstrual lining (I normally hardly bleed when it's my period) & activities I did while unaware I was pregnant (stressed out, high activity job).

• Another thing the doctors told me could improve my chances of pregnancy success in the future is to be on a progesterone supplement. This helps keep the body in pregnancy mode. It's what is in birth control pills to make our bodies fake-pregnant.

In the meantime, to improve my fertility, I've increased my hydration (to make more blood) & started being generally healthier by eating more & taking vitamins. Don't give up hope yet! The body can do amazing things with the right care. There is a treatment for just about everything. :) Good luck!

• im 16 and have chlamydia im scared i wont be able to have children in the future how would i know for sure? Please help meeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I have similar concerns but have obsessively read forums and various health sites. This is what I have picked up on:

There is some debate about the effects of chlamydia on fertility. Some experts in medicine (including Sir Robert Winston) believe that chlamydia itself has no effect. However, PID caused by chlamydia can infect the reproductive organs and this can cause inflammation and consequential scarring. If this occurs it can make you sub-fertile or infertile. Notice all the 'can'? Nothing is very definite; some women aren't affected at all. A study done in the 1990s estimated that 15% of women who have had PID will struggle to conceive, which is a reassuring figure considering how many women are scared about this. 

Also, there is no definitive time scale for when chlamydia becomes PID. Some women will never develop it, it can take years or months or weeks. This is less reassuring. Especially as PID symptoms may be mild and dismissed for other things such as cystitis. So we are all right to have some concern...

But, and this is a big but, MOST women who have had chlamydia and/or PID (treated) are able to conceive and have a healthy family. There is infertility because of it, yes, but it's actually a relatively small risk. We all hope and pray we do not find ourselves in the minority! 

The problem is that sexual health is such taboo. I would bet that LOTS of women on here who gave had babies have had an STI of some sort, but are unlikely to share that on these posts because they don't feel they apply to them (seeing as they are not worried about infertility) and perhaps don't fancy admitting anything online! It's a shame really, because so many women are silently panicking and that reassurance goes a long long way. 

Hopefully, I've provided a small measure of relief. 

Ally x

• Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.