Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

PCOS - Confused. Diagnosed Yesterday.

Hello! I got the news yesterday that I have PCOS. I'm still taking it in and allowing myself to understand it but I know it will take some time. 

A little background. I am 31, turning 32 this year, I am not overweight, I have been 130lbs for about the last 10 years (125 before that) I have been single for the past few years, so planning pregnancy isn't something I've needed to start thinking about yet. I went to the doctors to talk about my lengthy, heavy periods (it seemed as though I was either always on my period or my body was preparing for the next one (21 days later) She suggested an ultrasound....and that brings us to yesterday.

My Dr said I have 20 small follicles. that was confusing to hear because all I heard was "you have 20 cysts" I am still unclear and confused about this. She suggested I start the pill ASAP to prevent ovulation...which I am also nervous about...the crazy in me is going to come out again with the pill...I hated it before which is why I came off it. I got the lowest dosage so hopefully it will be okay.

I feel sad inside. I know its common. I know that people have it worse. I also know that my situation could be worse. but I am going through this and Im reaching out for support and advice. Im a horrible eater. I eat junk food and only play footy once a week. where do I start?

I'm scared and alone (even though I have a great support team of family and friends, but none of them have this.

I have dreamed of having kids my entire life. I just never did it because I haven't found the right person. I'm afraid of the challenges still to come.

Thank you for taking the time to read...I appreciate any help/advice to come my way.

Replies

• Options

Hello, I too have pcos but I don't have cysts it would seem I just have the syndrome with the awful symptoms.  

the best advice I could give you would be to do as much research as you can, it won't be easy as pcos is still a much unknown condition.  

Its great that you exercize and manage your weight well.  There is a special way of eating for pcos.  Low GI, gluten free and dairy free. 

Mir might be worth looking into with your Doctor having your eggs harvested if you don't see yourself having children soon, so that when the time comes you have a better chance of higher quality 

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.

• Options

Hi there - I too have PCOS and was diagnosed in my mid twenties. At the time I remember the doctor saying to me it "wasn't anything to worry about unless I was trying to start a family". I was on the pill anyway at the time so there was nothing else to be done apparently.

I'm 33 this year so decided to come off the pill to see what the situation really is with my fertility. I had all the blood tests for hormone levels and an ultrasound which confirmed the diagnosis is still accurate, I have PCOS. I immediately started worrying about whether I would be able to have children and tracking my basal temperature like crazy, ovulation sticks the whole lot. I wasn't really having periods which made me panic.

Long story short, I got too bogged down with it all and stopped bothering to worry about it. I just decided that life was too short to become obsessed with things that were out of my control. I wasn't at all trying to conceive - far from it, my husband and I were being very careful indeed. I just found out a week ago that I am pregnant - somehow this happened at the time when I least thought about or expected it.

Turns out that I must have ovulated - and I honestly think it happened because I wasn't worrying or thinking about it. Life is funny like that - it's made me realise we really don't have any control over life or indeed death - it happens when nature decides. I'm not religious but I believe some things are planned.

What I'm trying to say is don't panic - there are LOTS of treatments for PCOS and most people will manage to get pregnant even if it takes a bit longer or requires outside help. Or you could be like me and get pregnant with no problem! 

• Options

Thank you for your replies. its so overwhelming, but ive learnt in the past week that I am definitely not alone!! (which is so comforting, especially when the Dr. makes you feel like an alien)

So thank you once again.

If you have any diet plans that have worked for you that you could share with me, Id love to read about it. I love the PCOS community, everyone is always so helpful!

:)