Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice and support for an older mum

Hi, Im 41 and i have a 21 year old son. i have been trying for a baby for over a year now and am starting to worry that my age is going to stop this happening.Lots of things have changed since my first child and its all getting a bit overwhelming. 

My cycle is 28 days which hasn't changed in the last year. i have been on various contraceptives for the last 18 years including the coil and mini pill. i am slightly over weight but currently losing with slimming world. i have just been to the doctors for a sexual health check and am waiting for the results.  What else should i be doing.... apart from the sex. 

Replies

• Hi I'm an 'older mum's now too at Tue grand old age of 36! 

My gp was very supportive and just advised the general taking care of yourself , quit smoking and drinking etc...a good pre pregnancy vitamin is advisable, I used the preconceive one.

The other this is pointing your ovulation. ..your cycle maybe 28 days but that doesn't mean ovulation is when you expect it !  So a couple months with the predictor kits can help or you can monitor your ewcm....it's always been a good indicator for me.

I had been trying for over a year when I asked hubby for time off - I wanted a break from it all so I stopped everything and ate n drank what I wanted and left off the vitamins.....the next cycle i cought!  So sometimes it's relaxing that does the trick as the pressure we put on ourselves is often counter productive 

Good luck xx

• thank you. I will get some ovulation kits l.