Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I'm worried I can't conceive

Hi,

I've never posted on a page like this before but recently me and my partner have been trying to get pregnant. 

5 years ago I was forced into an abortion, I deeply regret it but I have came to terms with what happened. It wasn't a straight forward abortion, I had to go into theatre twice, the first time because the normal procedure didn't work, the second because I was left with pregnancy tissue inside and was in severe abdominal pain. I was put onto antibiotics to prevent infection for a couple weeks.

Now that I am in a secure happy long term relationship and in the perfect position to start a family with my partner I can't help but worry that the abortion I went through is going to cause fertility issues for me now, I haven't consulted my doctor just yet as I don't want to sound silly if I am over reacting. 

I just wanted to know if anyone else has been in the same position as myself and if anyone has any advice? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you :) 

Replies

• If it could of possibly have affected ur fertility  they would have talked about this with u at the time so I wouldn't worry too much. At least try to conceive before assuming there's an issue. They won't be able to do anything unless you've been ttc for at least a year. Good luck hun x

• I am sorry to hear you were forced to have an abortion. But even if it was the only possible outcome, you should have chosen your clinic properly. Anyway, you cant do anything about it now. I am so against abortions in any case.. You should see the professional doctor who will consult you on your health. It is the most important thing in your life - your reproductive body. So dont postpone the appointment and go chose a better clinic right away. good luck! 

• It is sad to read that you were forced into abortion. Each loss of life like that is hard to accept. I haven´t been through abortion in my life, I highly doubt I could do it. But, we all have our reasons. Considering how you had the infection and had to be on antibiotics, you could have difficulties getting pregnant. We shouldn´t lie to ourselves. Your worries stand in place. Don´t keep postponing the visit to the doctor. Be honest with him with your health history. That is the only way to get pregnant again. Hiding that fact could lead them on a wrong track if there is something wrong to be found. Also, if you haven´t told your boyfriend, well, you should. Don´t keep this as a secret, could bring only troubles afterwards. Keep us posted.

• Hi @ Lauraliz,
    I would advise that you consult a doctor. However, before you do that, it is recommended that you try to TTC with your new boyfriend. I am positive that things will work in your favor. Plenty of women who have undergone surgery have managed to conceive and are happy parents. So don’t be pessimistic. Remain positive about life, and I am sure you will be rewarded. However, if it doesn’t work, you should not worry. Advanced technology such as IUI and IVF has helped many women become mothers. I am positive and certain that it will help you. Also, if your womb cannot carry a pregnancy, you can still benefit from surrogacy. All you need to do is to have an egg extracted from your ovaries fertilized using your husband’s sperm and transferred into the womb of a surrogate mother. This way you will become a happy mother.