Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

PCOS and TTC for the first time

Hi ladies I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and thyroid issues. My partner and I are 22 we have secretly been TTC, as telling everyone would be stressful. My doctor has told me that my chances of getting pregnant are extremely low (which has me worried as infertility is big in my family). My doctor wants me to go on the pill because my periods are really irregular. I have been using ovulation tests for a month now and never got any kind of surge. Could any of you ladies give me some advice on things I can do to help? 

Thankyou and baby dust to all  <3<3

Replies

• Options
    I have mild PCOS and the only thing I found that really helped regulate me was that I changed my diet to mostly vegan. I don’t eat so much dairy, no red meat, no chicken and fish only occasionally. Not saying it will work to just something I have found that’s helped me xx
  • Options
    I have PCOS and have had it my entire life.  Doctors always wanted to put me on birth control too and I can't believe they are still doing that.  Disappointing. 

I will tell you what I do for my PCOS.  Gained weight because I was underweight, if you are overweight you should try getting to a normal BMI. I began resistance training so I lift weights 4 days per week.  I read that is the BEST type of exercise for PCOS and when I started that I ovulated every other month when I could easily go years without ovulating.

I also drink about 2 liters of water per day, a good quality water and eating more fruit and veggies is great for inflammation and many hormonal issues stem also from inflammation.

Now I am back on the herb Vitex which is really good for PCOS but you just have to be consistent with it for at least 6 months.  All of those things are helping me greatly! First real try for number 1 was 2 weeks ago.  

No doc ever helped me honestly, not one.  Wanted to just shove me prescription medicine. 
  • Options
    Hi ladies I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and thyroid issues. My partner and I are 22 we have secretly been TTC, as telling everyone would be stressful. My doctor has told me that my chances of getting pregnant are extremely low (which has me worried as infertility is big in my family). My doctor wants me to go on the pill because my periods are really irregular. I have been using ovulation tests for a month now and never got any kind of surge. Could any of you ladies give me some advice on things I can do to help? 

Thankyou and baby dust to all  <3<3
    Baby dust to you too!
  • Options
    First of all good luck! Going on the pill will help you to have a period and reduce the chance of female cancers but obviously won’t help if you want to conceive. I’m guessing you haven’t told the dr you’re trying? I would say if you haven’t had any luck after 6 months to ask for a fertility referral. You can conceive with PCOS and with a thyroid problem but as long as your thyroid is well managed. Lose weight if you’re overweight and exercise. Try to avoid stress and look at ovulation predictor kits (OPK) to help you find your fertile window. I found you don’t need to spend a fortune and the cheap ones work just as well. 
    Sometimes telling someone can help you talk about things, a real person is more comforting. If your ttc journey becomes a long 1 you maybe in need of a friend to chat to and let off steam. 
    Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Oh and infertility doesn’t run in families. Some health conditions that can make falling pregnant harder maybe hereditary but infertility does not. 🤞🏻