Forum home› Getting pregnant› Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Metformin/Clomid

Hey ladies,

I am so new to this, so first off I will apologise as i am not familiar with all the lingo yet, I am sure that given a few weeks it will get better but anyway.

I have had PCOS since I was 16. I am now married and for the last year me and hubby have been TTC (I know that one!) and nothing has happened.
I am lucky as I do normally have regular periods and it's only been the last 6 months that they have been about a 37-45 day cycle.

Anyway April 6th I went to see a fertility Dr about this as GP had done all the tests she could do and so this was the next step. He was really nice and he said that I am not ovulating; now I have only recently just found out that you don't have to ovulate even though you have a period. Im 26 and I never knew this.

So he has put me onto Metformin 500g 3 x a day. I started them as soon as I got home and in the first few days I felt so bad, they made me feel really really sick and the diarrhoea (sorry TMI) was horrible. After about a week and a ???? I began to feel a little better.
He also gave me Clomid too, this I have to take on day 3 of my period and I am unsure what to do from there, I thought I have to take these only for while I am on my period and stop but from reading some other posts on here, some of you take this continually. Is this me getting it wrong??

I am due on in a week and I can't start to get the others started and then I might get some good results. As at the moment, I feel so down in the dumps as I am popping all these pills and nothing.

So for others that are on the same medication, what have you been told to do, regarding the Clomid as I am so confused?

I am thinking about acupuncture too, as apparently it helps too.

I don't know about others but its so hard not to get stressed out like advised to is it.

Thanks for reading.................... Bexie xx

Replies

• The drugs seem to be different for everyone so hope they are good for you and you get that BFP! I've done a bit of acupuncture and it's brilliant for general wellbeing and stress reduction and has been a real therapy cos you get somebody's full attention for an hour - unlike with the nhs!! Def worth a try to see how you get on!
    H xx
  • Hi Bexie

I took Metformin and am also taking Clomid.

My hosp prescribed the metformin during a couple of IVF attemptas last year- then he said to stop taking it because it didn't have any significant impact in studies. I remember how horrible it was- I just felt terrible for what felt like a really long time!

The Clomid, I am taking from days 2 to six of my cycle and this is supposed to stimulate your ovaries to produce eggs. Some docs vary the stage at which you take it- some say days 3-7 etc- not sure how they base their decision?!?! The only thing with this is that you are only ever supposed to go to a maximum of 6 cycles with it. Think they think that if it was going to work, it would have during the fist 6, but also there are medical reasons for them capping at 6 go's.

I'm on my 4th attempt, although the stats are quite good for a positive result, within the first 3 months.

Hope I've not bombarded you with all that- hopefully it might be of some useimage

Take care

Emma x
  • just to say my consultant said i am on clomid till i get PG so if its another year then i am on clomid till then heres what i was told to do if you are not sure phone the clinic back hun they are always there for any questions

well this is my 3rd day of taking metformin 1 tablet a day (500mg) have to take that for 3 days if no side affects then up the dose to 2 tablets a day for 3 days if no side affects again then up it to 3 tablets a day and have to stay there. No side affects yet if i do get them then i have to stay on that dose till the side affects go then have to wait till 3 days clear of side affects. So i will end on 1,500mg.

not started clomid till my next Af turns up then have to take it through days 2-6 of cycle and its 50 mg 1 tablet a day