Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Metformin, what is it?

:\?Well its been 104 days since my last period & I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am so frustrated & stressed I know it can't be helping. I saw my doctor on Thursday & she is sending me for more ultrsound scans as I have PCOS, (diagnosed approx 3-4years ago) She has also recommended Metformin for me, basically I just wondered if anyone knew what this was & what I can expect from it? We are also waiting for my OH to have a SA test. If anybody has any advice for us it would greatly appericated.

Replies

• Options
    Hi I have been on Metformin for just over 6 years now, only just starting TTC now though! it's a drug that is usually used to treat Diabetes but also has benefits for women with PCOS. I take 1500mg a day and i will be honest and say that at the beginning it does have nasty side effects, such as stomach cramps and diarrhoea.. these symptoms do normally wear off after a few weeks so it is worth bearing with it. I'm not 100% on it all as i listened to what the doctor said but after this long can barely remember, I believe the purpose of Metformin is to reduce the symptoms of PCOS meaning that you should hopefully have a more regular cycle and the ability to conceive, although some women also require a fertility drug such as Clomid to ovulate. ther is quite a lot of info to be found on the net if you just type in Metformin and PCOS.
  • Options
    Thanx so much, I will google it. I have heard that there is a possibility of some nasty side effects, so that was what was worring me. Thanx for your reply. X
  • Options
    Hello image

I was prescribed it before my IVF and then when I asked if I should continue it, he said not to, as the benefits were unfounded?!?!?

Basically I'm off it now, but I really hope it's of benefit to you, as it seemed to be a grey area as far as my cons was concerned.

Good luck xx
  • Options
    Although the side effects can be bad, it has worked both times for me. First time was only on it for 3 weeks and fell pregnant. I now have a beautiful one year old. I went on it again middle of December and now pregnant again. It has really worked for me and we are over the moon. We had tried the first time on our own and that was for 2 years!!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say a big thanx to all of you who replied it has really answered some of my queries about Met. for me the losing weight is just an added bonus. I am hope to lose some weight between now & my scan. As I haven't had AF since Oct that is my main conceren.

Thanx girls & gud luck to you all..

A xxx