Forum home› Getting pregnant› Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

some PCOS questions. PLEASE look at :-)

Hi girls!
I am new to this forum but was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago. I was pretty young when i was diagnosed so I don't know much about my PCOS. I was told when I had my first scan that I didn't have it but I knew my symptoms weren't right so I had my bloods done and it was confirmed that way - does this mean my PCOS isn't that bad if it couldn't be diagnosed via the scan?

Also how long do you have to have been TTC before you can go back to the gynecologist for more help. My GP told me 1 year but that was years ago so I wondered if this had changed?

I am worried about how this is going to affect my changes of conceiving so any advice would be wonderful!

XXXXX

Replies

• Options
    hey,

If I am honest I am not quite sure as most things I have read people may have found it hard to diagnose through blood tests but found it easier on the scan. The major thing of PCOS is that you have lots of tiny little cysts on your ovaries hence Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. I thought the bloods just were to check your hormone levels and tehrefore would be able to tell if you ovulated or not. No ovultion being another symptom of PCOS. What bloods did you have done to confirm PCOS?

With regards to TTC they do say 1 year unless you have got a a proven medical condition eg PCOS where some will refer you after 6 months however it does seem to be a postcode lottery as to who and when they refer etc.

I think if you are wanting to concevie now I would go back to the doctors and see what they say x
  • Options
    I really can't remember what bloods i had, it was so long ago! I remember in the scan the nurse saying she could see a couple of cysts but it might not indicate PCOS which is why I had bloods done later on.

I never had any problems with my periods, they were regular and about 5 days with not much PMS. My biggest problems were weight gain and excess hair which is why I pushed for a definite diagnosis so I knew what was causing it!
    xx