Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems

Can any of you ladies enlighten me? :)

Hi,

My last AF was 9 weeks ago, All my HPT's have been BFN's and also my urine test from the dr was BFN, Ive also had a blood test which came back that my hormone levels are normal. My dr has said that i dont come under the PCOS catagory, there is a very low chance as ive had AF's since up to 9 weeks ago and ive been off the pill since June last year.
She has offered for me to have a scan to double check if i have any cysts or not and i just wanted to ask a few questions about it. Sorry if some of them are abit silly.

Does the scan hurt?
What is the duration of the scan?
I take it i have to undress waist down?
Do you get results straight away or do you have to wait a week?
Do I lie down for the scan or stand up?

Sorry if some are silly, I know very little about it. image

MPP
xxx

Replies

• Hi MPP... although I've not had a scan specifically for PCOS, I have had a couple of internal scans, so let's see if I can help answer your questions:

Does the scan hurt?
    No, it may feel a bit uncomfortable - it's basically a 'wand' shaped thing, a bit like a large vibrator (blush!) that they will cover in KY, and sometimes even put a condom over.

Depends what they have to look at, but should be over within a few minutes. They may take some measurements using the scan pics etc.

Yep, fraid so, but you should get a blanket to cover your dignity a bit.

Think it depends who does it. If it's a sonographer they may not be qualified to interpret what they are looking at, if it's a gynaecologist they should be able to tell you what they're seeing straight away.

You will lie down, with your legs bent and apart.

Hope this helps - mine were a while ago so if anyone has had different exeperience feel free to correct me!!

xxx
  • Hi MrsPinkPlayboy

Nice to hear from you. I think you should have the scan. My hormone levels were normal, but the scan confirmed I do have PCOS - so wouldn't have known without the scan. If you are TTC you definitely want to know whether you have it.

You have a good reply from fergy above, but I will give you my thoughts as well, just in case it helps.

Does the scan hurt?

No. It feels a bit weird and I find it a little uncomfortable. However it is less uncomfortable than a smear test I think.

Literally a few minutes.

Yes, but you get a sheet thing to cover you.

I had a gynae do mine - he gave me the results there and then.

It is a couch - like when you have a smear done.

I found the test far less bad than I thought it would be. Let us know how you get on.

Bxx
  • hi hun
    had lots of these scans recently, wear a long skirt so getting pants off is less embarassing and you will have a sheet to cover you. it doesnt hurt but make sure your bladder is as empty as poss b4 you have scan xxxxxx
  • hi hun
    had lots of these scans recently, wear a long skirt so getting pants off is less embarassing and you will have a sheet to cover you. it doesnt hurt but make sure your bladder is as empty as poss b4 you have scan xxxxxx
  • Hi MrsPinkPlayboy,
    Do you know the name of the type of scan you are having- as there are 1 or 2 different kinds? xx
  • Hi thanks all for your replies.

The whole time the website was showing i had no replies on this post so i never checked it, so sorry about the delay.
    Thanks for answering the questions in detail, it gives me a better picture of what i can expect.

Hi hope., From what i remember the dr saying, she said it was going to be a ultrasound like a pregnancy scan, so i take it its the external one im having, which im ok with, its things sticking inside me i feel uncomfortable with, lol. Id rather my hubby did the scan for me than a complete stranger. lol

MPP
    xxx
  • triple post

[Modified by: MrsPinkPlayboy on February 21, 2010 10:42 PM]

• triple post

[Modified by: MrsPinkPlayboy on February 21, 2010 10:41 PM]

• Hi just letting you know i got my letter today from the hospital to say ive got my appointment on monday at 17.10 for my ultrasound, i will let you all know how it goes.

MPP
    xxx