Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PCOS: How many of you fell pregnant without fertility drugs?

Replies

• I got diagnosed with PCOS last year and was told it would be highly unlikely I would fall pregnant. I am 10 weeks plus 3 days pregnant. xx

• I am 20 yrs old I got diagnosed with PSOS when I was 13. 2 years ago me and my partner got together, and after 6 months we tried yoconceive.. a year and half later still nothing! About 4 weeks ago I took myself to the doctors and had blood tests ect and asked for help to concieve the, my partner was due to go to have a sperm specimin done next week and after that I was due to start medication/injections ect to help me become more fertile. Yesterday I was 11 days late on my period, so decided to do a pregnancy test. I did 2 and they both came up with a positive result in seconds I am over the moon! Im going to see my doctor either today or tomorow to confirm. Just give it time it takes the average couple 12 months! Fingers crossed for you. Btw I shud be 4-5 weeks pregnant I will keep you informed. X

• Mrs E, thanks for this image

I'm a pcos girl (no symptoms other than irregular anovulatory cycles, sometimes ovulating, mostly not) and terrified how long it might take me to conceive.  I've BMI of 21, I'm very healthy, run/exercise 4x a week, I eat healthily, take AC - not sure what else I can do that is generally advised for pcos sufferers. Been ttc for 6 months now but my cycles still aren't in a rhythm. I thought they were last month when I finally ovulated and had a 12 day luteal phase, followed by my first proper af since coming off the mini-pill in Feb. It wasn't to be though, and have had another anov cycle this time. Found that hard to deal with.

Seeing the fertility Docs in early October, with more scans to see what's happening booked for 3 weeks time (last scans done were 2006, when I was diagnosed - absent af for 9 months). 

Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm so pleased there are success stories out there to keep me feeling positive image Congratulations on the birth of your baby image

• Doritha - how dare you hijack my thread to spout this clap trap con!!! I started this thread out of desperation and it's continued because so many women feel the same way and also because of my success at having a baby despite suffering from PCOS!!!  I actually don't believe anything you have said!!! You should have started your own thread and not put this nonsense in mine!!!!

• Hi Guys,

My name is Crystal, 28years of age and I got diagnosed with pcos about 10 years now and im married now, and my husband and i are trying to concieve. I am on bc and metformin at 2000mg a day for abt 2 months now. i want to come off the pill and try to concieve, is that the right thing? Any suggestions are appreciative. Thanks for your time in reading my story

• Hi all, i was diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago but when i went for my scan, the nurse could not find my right ovary either.  my Doctor was not very helpful, i went initially due to terrible lower abdominal pain, she has not given me any suggestions to how to live through the agony, or basically any information at all, she told me to research, but up to now i am finding basically nothing of what my chances are of concieving with having PCOS and one ovary. at the moment i am not currently trying to concieve as im 18 and me and my partner are not really ready for a child, but i would be greatful to anyone who can give me advice, it unfortunately got me really down when i was diagnosed, and i suffer with depression, so the more i know about PCOS the better as i would prefer to not get my hopes up.  but basically the chances are of me concieving with PCOS and a missing right ovary?

Tash xx

• Hello everyone.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2013 after trying to conceive with my husband for over a year with no luck (I'm 25). My periods were very irregular. The RE I saw put me on Metformin in February and I tried one cycle of femara with ovidrel injection in June. No luck there. I stayed on the Metformin because it did end up regulating my cycles to around 35 days which was kind of nice. I finally got to a point where I was okay with maybe not being able to conceive, and BOOM two weeks ago I found out I was pregnant. I still cannot believe it. I plan on staying on the Metformin throughout my pregnancy because it is supposed to lower the risk of miscarriage in women with PCOS. I don't know if the Metformin is what allowed me to get pregnant or what. Never lose hope! I know it's easier said than done, but just try and stay positive.

• I know this is quite an old thread but I really wanted to spread some hope to those also coming to view this who have pcos and trying to get pregnant. I was diagnosed with pcos at 15 as I had very irregular periods, going months without one, facila hair, acne, the works. Three years ago, my partner and I started trying and I knew it would be a challenge. I started taking vitamins, trying to eat better and I excersised too. I almost gave up hope. I'm 27 now, and started trying at 24. Last year I lost two stone being alittle more strict with diet and I excersise more as I got married in August 2013 and now I am happy to say I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant. I did take pregnacare as soon as I found out. I got pregnant naturally. We really thank God and please please don't give up hope! We almost did and I'm so glad we didn't. I can feel baby move now and I cant believe that after three years we finally did it. It might take us a little longer but it does happen naturally! We don't ovulate every month but we can ovulate randomly. All the best, Kimberley x

• Hi, I was just reading this thread and wondered if anyone had been in my situation? I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with PCOS and have been on the pill ever since. My new husband and i are now thinking about trying for a baby so I am planning on coming off the pill in March and going to talk to the doctor first to see what i should do. At a previous doctors they told me that I would have to be trying with my husband for 1 year before they will give you any help. Is this still true? Can I ask for Metformin straight after coming off the pill? (Reading all your posts this seems to be the one that helps!) I am a little overweight, my BMI is about 27 so I am currently dieting to lose 2 stone as I dont want them to say I am too overweight and wont help me either- what is the BMI limit? thank you all for any input you have.

Lisa

• I don't know how old this post is, was curious about PCOS and pregnancy and had a peak on google.

I was told I have PCOS when I was 18 after a consultation about laser hair removal lead me to having blood tests and scans with my GP. I was told I would find it difficult to conceive and to talk to GP when I was ready to start a family.

Last year at the age of 22 I was shocked to find that I was pregnant, not only had I conceived naturally with no medical help but also while on the pill!!

I had a normal and healthy pregnancy (apart from SPD which has no connection to PCOS), I had a GTT at 28 weeks which is routine for any woman with PCOS and got the all clear.

My little boy is now 6 1/2 months old. The symptoms of PCOS settled down for me after the birth, my periods became regular and skin became less oily. 

I'm using an implant now so hopefully no more surprises for me and my hubby!!

• I have conceived 3 times naturally and I have pcos and was told when trying for our second that with my pcos and my partners sperm quality we would never conceive naturally so were booked in to start fertility meds,I got pregnant the month before image after 22 months of trying and a lot of tests.

Number three was conceived after one night of passion when no.2 was 9 months old image 

1st baby was a complete surprise but a very happy one,I was on the pill but missed 2 days.

Anyway it does happen with pcos it just seems when you try it takes a lot longer! I'm trying for no.4 now but my periods have gone a bit wacky and seem to be getting shorter! 28 days for 5 months, then 38 then a 26 and now a 25 day cycle.  Not sure when I'm ovulating so considering one of these new clear blue monitors! 

Good luck. I will say that the one month I didn't think about it at all (the month before I was due to get the meds) was the month I fell pregnant. Its all I can think about now so maybe I should take my own advice lol

• I’m diagonised with pcos ( regular periods with 30 day cycle) due to underactive thyroid. Got married last year and active ttc for the past two months. My thyroid levels are under control (Thyronorm 100 mg in empty stomach). My gyneac has prescribed me Folic acid , Vit b12  and Thyrowel tablets. I’m also taking oosure plus ( myo-inositol 1 mg) for my pcos. I underwent follicular study last month and Doc said I was ovulating (CD 16 - follicle size 20mm ; End thickness 11mm & +ve in OPK )  inspite of pcos.  Around 10 dpo I had my Progesterone levels checked with came back very low 4.57. The doctor said that it should ideally be above 10 and prescribed me progesterone tablets for 10 days but got my periods ( very scanty with spotting) on the day I was supposed to get it ( CD 30) inspite of progesterone tablets. Informed my doc abt this, she prescribed me with estrogen tablets for 14 days followed by progesterone tablets from Cd 18. I was in lot of hope last month but was very unfortunate. Will i get pregnant with this protocol ? 

• I’m diagonised with pcos ( regular periods with 30 day cycle) due to underactive thyroid. Got married last year and active ttc for the past two months. My thyroid levels are under control (Thyronorm 100 mg in empty stomach). My gyneac has prescribed me Folic acid , Vit b12  and Thyrowel tablets. I’m also taking oosure plus ( myo-inositol 1 mg) for my pcos. I underwent follicular study last month and Doc said I was ovulating (CD 16 - follicle size 20mm ; End thickness 11mm & +ve in OPK )  inspite of pcos.  Around 10 dpo I had my Progesterone levels checked with came back very low 4.57. The doctor said that it should ideally be above 10 and prescribed me progesterone tablets for 10 days but got my periods ( very scanty with spotting) on the day I was supposed to get it ( CD 30) inspite of progesterone tablets. Informed my doc abt this, she prescribed me with estrogen tablets for 14 days followed by progesterone tablets from Cd 18. I was in lot of hope last month but was very unfortunate. Will i get pregnant with this protocol ? 

• HeIlo !

I am 22 years old and dx with PCOS ... I have been thinking about maybe trying to have a baby soon.. my dr told me that i would stop taking my meds and then try to see what happens in the following 8 weeks after.

Does anyone else have PCOS? any complictions or hard time becoming pregnant?I bleed maybe once every 3-6 months.. havent bled in 3 months so far..

THANKS ! image

• Hi ladies

I saw this thread and couldn't not write something...

Diagnosed with pcos when I was younger. Met my husband and rtf nothing was happening so seeked help and was given clomid to take days 2-5 of my cycle and follicle tracking on day 12 of my cycle if eggs were of an adequate size I was then given a trigger injection to release eggs . Fell pregnant on my 2bd cycle but mc nob 2012... Went on to have another 3 more cycles but nothing happened . In the meantime everyone was telling me to relax and it'll work.

Being young having a house a loving husband and one thing missing a little baby this was hard to do .... The consultant advised us to try iui. I had 3 cycles of this and still nothing worked for me image this went over 2 years.

October last year after having my last cycle of iui I had a lot of pains in my right ovary which I was told was the worst side for the cysts . After calapsing and being very ill my husband took me to hospital and we was told one of the cysts had erupted . The pain was dreadful and I was in hospital over night and sent home to rest and was told it would dissolve.

My husband then said to me no more treatment because of what my body had been through - all the tablets from the clomid the trigger injections and not to mention the injections I was doing every day for the iui...

I was so upset that he said no more treatment and I really thought I had no chance of falling pregnant again unless I had fertility treatment (well that's what the doctors said at the hospital) but what did they know ay.

January this year I managed to talk my husband round to

Going to see the consultant again and once we did he let us have one more go of clomid.

I went and picked up my prescription tablets and Injection ready to start on my next cycle .

That cycle never came and I found out I was pregnant on 2nd March this year!

I am now 38 weeks and everything has gone really well.

I never thought it would happen naturally but it did and the only thing I can think of is because I relaxed.

I had other things on my mind ie I finally passed my theory test in the January after 7 attempts lol and my driving test in the February not knowing I was pregnant at the time!

I just want to say that there is hope and having pcos does not mean you cannot Concieve it just means it might take that little bit longer but it's all worth it.

I went through some really tough times during the fertility treatment I had terrible anxiety and depression and panic attacks all the time image

I don't know how my husband put up with me to be fair but he is great and I'm lucky to have him.

I know how it feels when everyone around you is getting pregnant people that don't even deserve it image but hang on in there I truely believe if you really want something you will get it.

Good luck xxxxxxxx
  • Sorry forgot to say I'm 26 and my husbands 29 xx
  • Thank you all for sharing your stories and giving me hope. 

My periods have always been irregular, but I never thought much of it until I got married a few years ago and started trying for a baby. Towards the end of us trying I was really starting to stress and worry and decided to go to my GP for a blood test. My hormone levels came back normal and I was asked to come back once we had been trying for a year for further check ups and to receive fertility help. Well, we didn't need any help as a few weeks later I found out I was already pregnant.

Once I had my daughter I decided to follow up and get to the bottom of my irregular periods. I was sent for a scan and diagnosed with PCO.

My daughter is now nearing a year and since she was born we have not been using any contraception. I would like to have (many) more children, God willing, and I am hopeful. Now that I know what I have, I can face it head on. Once again thank you for sharing your stories! 

• I know this is a very old thread but I had to say something. ( sorry my English is not good) I was diagnosed with pcos 10 years ago, I was then 22. I didn't really care back then. I married at 28 to a wonderful person, we been trying for a baby since the moment we married. Doctor recommended  metformin, but I hate to take pills lol. So I never did, she told us March 2015 our only option was Vitro, it really crushed us. 1 week later I decided to take a pregnancy test, (not sure why, I knew my only chance was vitro) and to my surprise it came positive. I am now 7 weeks pregnant.  Couldn't be any happier. We are just praying that our little miracle arrives with no difficulties. Keep faith in God

• Sorry,  I am 32 , will be 33 in may. So we tried for almost 5 years

• hi i am 28 i was diagnosed with pcos when i was 18 i knew something was up because my periods had been bang on since i was 12 all of a sudden when i was 18 they stopped,, i was only getting two to three periods a year til i was about 24,, i am with my partner 3 years and have been trying for two to get pregnant,, i was on clomid a year and a half ago for 6 months i was so hopeful i really thouht it would work but instead it swelled out my ovaries the pain was excruciating and i was hospitalised for a few days,,, after the swelling went down the doctors just sent me home and no more was said about it im still trying without any fertility treatment but i not as hopeful as i was before,, it's killing me not being able to concieve,, he has a child from a previous relationship and i love her dearly but i want my own image im so let down and exhausted what really got to me this week also is some body just dumped their newborn girl in a bag and left her at the side of a road in dublin yesterday,, when she was found she was about 24-36 hours old and was suffering from hypothermia what sickens me is why people can concieve and treat a child so wrongly when others like us are desperate to have kids love them and rare them properly xxx