Forum home› Getting pregnant› Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

TTC with PCOS & Scared of needles.

Hi all

I'm 29, my hubby & I have been trying to concieve for about 18 months unfortunately I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago, so we are already aware we could experience issues, I have been putting off going back to the doctors but unfortunatly I haven't had a period since October 09 (have done 3 home test - all neg) so I was getting a bit concerned however now my doctor wants to take some blood tests! This absolutely petrifies me as I am terrified of injections. Just writing that sentence down sounds stupid, but I am just so scared of them.
I have tried to talk to my other half & he can only assure me he'll be there for me the whole time & tells me not to look. I am affraid to say I have had no sleep at all since the appointment was made & I feel so scared I could just cry.

If anyone out there is in the same boat I would love to hear from you just so I know its not just me.

A x

Replies

• Hiya

I'm exactly the same as you - hate needles, hate the thought of needles and hate anything to do with blood tests. I've got to have an laprascopy in a few months as I also have PCOS and I'm not worried about the operation (well, I'm lying - I'm scared stiff) but I'm more scared about having the needle thing put in the back of my hand.

I can't tell you not to be scared, cos I hear the same thing from people myself but I will say that there's no way it's going to be as bad as you think. If possible I'd defo recommend taking your other half with you - it really helps to distract you and it's a really welcome support. I've never been for tests on my own, even had my neighbour with me at one point...must point out that she does work in doctors, didnt just drag her off the street! image Onc e it's over, it really doesnt hurt.

You'l be fine hun. image Hope that's helped, at least you know you're not alone.
  • Ah thanx chick, I am still chewing my nails about my appointment tonight but at least I'm not on my own, I thought it was just me. Everybody I speak to seems to look at me as if I a mad!!
    I have heard of a cream call Emla that is susposed to numb the area when applied 1 hour before - anyone used it? does it work?

I will take OH with me so he can distract me.

Thanx for the advise.
  • just to udate you Snowie I didn't have a blood test tonight but she has referred me for another scan. Then I will need to start Metformin. OH has to go for sperm tests too. Thanx for the reply earlier.
    A x
  • Hey, GC from LTTTC. I am 28 and I hadr a complete phobia of needles. I usually pass out. I have been putting my bloods off for about 6 months and during that time I have been forcing myself to watch injections on television, I could never watch them, and to start with they made me feel really sick and dizzy. I can now watch them. So today I went to get the bloods done, I didn't pass out and I can honestly say it was much easier than having an injection. Not painful at all. I told her it was the first time and that I might pass out. I told her I didn't want to see the needle or the blood, then I shut my eyes and tried to think of something else. I never thought I would say this but it honestly is just a scratch and I never thought I would say it. I have to go back on day 21. I took hubby too but mainly so that if I passed out I wouldn't be on my own. The other thing of course is that if we do ever get pregnant we are going to become human pin cushions anyway so I figure the sooner I move on with this the better. Hope you get good news with your results xxx
  • Hiya - glad you didnt have to have blood test - was just searching for your post to see how you'd got on. image
  • Thanx both, It is so nice to be able to talk to people about this as we haven't told anybody we are trying just in case!!
    Luckly I didn't have to have a needle on Thursday night, what a relief, but my doctor has referred me for another scan as my PCOS was disgnosed so long ago they want a clearer picture of what my ovaries look like now. aAs I said before she is putting me on something called Metformin, does anybody know anything about this as I am a novice at all this?

A x
  • No idea try asking in LTTTC someone in there is bound to know xx
  • I am the same when it comes to needles but fortunatly my mums job is to take blood at the hospital so i always get her to do it for me and she uses the tiny blue needles which dont hurt at all.
    I had a lap to remove cyst in august and she put emla cream on me an hour before - you need quite a lot of it on the area but i didnt feela thing when the canula went in - def ask for it if you are scared like me.
    xx
  • Thanx Natster
    I thought they might think I was being a wooze!! I just seem to work my self up so much where the bloods are concerned I just needed to talk to somebody who was in the same boat as me.
    A xxx