Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PCOS Girlies!

I was just thinking we do this on the ttc forum but I haven't seen it on here and thought it would be nice for us all to know a little bit more about each other seeing as we already have quite a lot in common!

So this is me.......!

I'm 28 and DH is 32. We got married last March (so we're looking forward now to our first anniversary!) and we're ttc #1. I'm from South Wales and DH is from the North East but we live in London. I teach and he's in construction and we're both pretty into our fitness!

I was properly diagnosed with PCOS last month but I've known there was something up since 1997 so they really took their time! Came off BCP last August and have had one AF since but trying to keep positive now with acupuncture, metformin, exercise and trying to eat healthily (well..... most of the time!).

How about you guys....??!

H xx

Replies

• Hey hun

Well I am 32 and hubby is 37 (what does DH stand for??) and I am in HR. We live in Kent

Got Married in August and been TTC ever since but same as you and my first cycle after coming off the pill was 130 days!! Now on cycle 2 and currently on CD20. Am having acupuncture which I am really liking, taking Agnus Cactus, folic acid and eskimo 3 tablets which were recommeneded by acupuncturist

I was diagnosed with PCOS in December but dont really have any of the symptoms of it! I have noticed 2 large lumps near my hairline and think this may have tied in with ovulation which I think happened a couple of days ago as they came and went!

Got our first proper appt to talk about next steps in March :\)
  • Hi Catherine and butterfly!

With the acupuncture I'm having a session every two weeks at ??35 each and six for the price of five so it's still a fair bit but nowhere near ??50 a week - I don't think we'd stretch to that at the moment! May be worth shopping around or going less often....??

Catherine - what are Eskimo 3 tablets? I've never heard of them!

Butterfly - well done for losing two stone - that's good going!!

H x
  • Hello girls good idea for thread MrsRobson

I am 25 and DH is 23 im currently not working and DH is in the army, got married 5th dec, been ttc since beginning of Jan, but only just really looked into it and proper trying this month. Got diagnosed with PCOS about a year or so ago but must have had it all my adult life as i have had problems since starting my periods.
    Been taking agnus castus since coming off the pill and had a regular period 27th jan so fingers crossed thats helping!

xx
  • Hello all and I like the introductions idea!

I am 34, my husband is 32 and we are ttc our first. I have PCOS and separate cysts on one ovary, which my Gynae says is not PCOS, but something else. I also have a thyroid problem and don't ovulate much. Currently on CD 52!!

If we can't get pregnant in the next two months the Gynae said he is probably going to put us on Clomid. Fingers crossed I get AF soon and we can do it without drugs!

Good luck everyone!

Bee
    x

• Hello Faye and Bee as well - heheh! We've got a bee and a butterfly - well it made me giggle!

Sounds like that's a good acupuncturist so stick with it butterfly! Hope it happens quickly. As for the weight issue I was chatting with a girlfriend last night who also has PCOS and we talked about how most girls lose weight coming off the pill but how we'd both put it on because of the condition. I went from a 10 to a 12 but since going on metformin I've gone back to my regular 10. I do a lot of exercise but between the pill and the metformin it just didn't seem to do anything. May be worth looking into to help with those last few cravings. It has stopped me having sugar crashes and craving food all evening and that in itself has really helped my energy levels in a busy working week!

Sorry to go on but I really feel different since I've been on it!

Faye - I've always known there was something wrong too - they just don't look into it until you really push them, eh?! Hope that AC keeps doing its magic for you.

Bee - fingers crossed AF comes soon - or even better a BFP!!!

Anyways have a good weekend ladies and lots of baby dust to you........... xxx

P.S. Two weeks tomorrow since I got my smiley so testing this weekend - had a false positive though so not sure I did ovulate so we'll see............!!! Fingers crossed!
  • Hi girls

I'm 26 (27 in 2 weeks!) and hubby is 33 (34 in 1 week!) and we've been married for 17 months. Been TTC for a year and got told I have PCOS last October. Got a laproscopy booked for mid-March and then on to Clomid in April. Had a session of reflexology a few weeks ago which was fantastic, so relaxing!

Happy Valentines to you all for tomorrow! image

xx
  • Hi Girls

I'm pretty sure I'll be 'officially' joining you pretty soon, so I'll introduce myself anyway...

I'm 27, DH is 31, we've been TTC since I came off the pill last May. Had really irregular cycles, and currently on CD83. Went to docs recenty who wants to do blood tests during CD1-5 before then referring me to gynae (thankfully I have private healthcare through hubby's work) so it's a waiting game for me right now!

I've been taking agnus castus for about 3 weeks now, and wondered if anyone has noticed their wee smells funny while taking it?? Not sure if it's just a strange coincidence....

xxx
  • Hi all,

MrsRobson - thanks for the welcme and lol about birds and bees!

Really agree that GPs have to be pushed to diagnose. I could have had this diagnose years ago, I reckon.

So nice to be able to chat to those who understand about what PCOS is like. I am on a thread for "new to TTC" (on another site), but it's quite hard when you are on CD 54 and not seem to have ovulated since early December while everyone else has had three further go's at getting pg since then, and a few have!!!

Anyway, some good news today for me - wierdly I think I am about to ov - so we are gearing up for St Val's day BD frenzy tomorrow!

Actually, girls, I would like to ask your advice if you don't mind. We tried when I ov in Oct. Not in Nov (too much other big life stuff going on). Then would have been trying since Dec, but AF/ov went mising. So by mid March we will have been trying five months, but will only have had two ovs in that time if I ov now(I have hugely long / irregular "cycles").

Doc would give us Clomid in April, I think (because I have some largeish cysts as well as PCOS and thyroid condition) but I really want to at least try to get pg naturally. Given that I will be 35 do you think it would be mad and wasting precious time not to take the Clomid straight away but to try for another few months naturally first? So confused!

• Happy Valentine's Day to all - hope Bee in particular is enjoying - teehee!!

Hmmmmm.... I don't know what I would do Bee - whatever feels right! Maybe talk through with DH and come up with a plan of action that you're both happy with...?

Hey Fergie - nice to see you again. Can't say I've noticed funny wee when on AC but hope it doea its magic for you!

And Snowie - nice to meet you! Looks like things are moving forward for you which is good! Keep us up to date! P.S. Reflexology sounds good!!

As for me...... Got my smiley two weeks ago so been testing this weekend but so far got two BFNs and no AF image. Hoping something happens soon as I'd be gutted if it was another false positive (my last one happened on CD24 of a cycle that lasted 150 days - am hoping all I've done should have moved me on from that!). Will let you know......

Baby dust to us all and happy Valentine's Day!

xxxx
  • Hey ladies!
    Happy valentines day!!

Butterfly77 - I started with acupuncture every week (??45 a time but I am in London so everything is more expensive) but now on 4th go and doing it every other week, ??90 a month is much better than ??180 a month!! It seems to be going well, I am on CD 24 and think I have ovulated but not 100% sure! Have had bits of EWCM a couple of days but not loads so who knows - I have ovulation tests but am not very good with the rules of it all so giving those a miss! Will see how long it takes for AF to appear this time but think I will do a test a week on monday if no AF

Beeb - Agree with MrsRobson - I would chat with your hubby to see what he thinks but personally I think when we get offered the drugs (hopefully we will!!) then I will be taking straight away!! It would be great to do it naturally but if my AF's are as long as last time then its going to be very hard work for us!!!

Baby dust to us all and lets hope we all conceive on valentines day!!image
  • Hi Girls

well my wee still smells wierd, and I'm still waiting for ov or af. It's starting to get me down now... especially as I know my doc is going to refer me, just have to wait for a couple more weeks. Almost makes the wait even harder!!

Beeb - my personal opinion would be go for the clomid, I know it would be lovely to do it 'naturally' but all its doing is giving your body a helping hand, still your eggs and hubby's sperm all in your body, so still 'natural' if you like.... just my opinion though!

xxx
  • Good Morning All
    Pls excuse me as I don't know all the terminology yet - i'm new to this site.
    My partner (31) and I (32) have been ttc for just over a year. Went to see doc in November and was diagnosed with PCOS, Fibroids and an overactive Thyroid. Now on medication for thyroid and have appointment to see if it is working next week. Then they will look at the PCOS. In the meantime my doctor suggested my partner have some tests and he has been told he has a low sperm count of 16 million when the lowest it should be is 20 million???
    I have had regular AF since I came off the pill 18 months ago and blood tests etc show that i ovulate regularly
    Just wondered if anyone else has all of these problems combined and if there is any hope for us.......and any advice for my visit to the hospital next week, just don't want to be fobbed off with more waiting.
    Really look forward to your replies
    N :\)
  • Hi everyone,

I'm 26 as is my DH. We got married in August 2008 and I ame off the pill in February last year. My DH was in the navy and was away an awful lot. After coming off the pill I had my first AF in June. He left the navy in July and we decided to start trying in August but I haven't had a proper AF since. I've had bloods and a hycosy etc done which all show PCOS. I last went to the hospital in December and I m (trying) to wait patiently for my next appointment in April or an AF or BFP in the meantime. I hate waiting with no AF and Ov as I feel like I'm wasting time and not having a fair crack of the whip. Hoping to be put on clomid.

Butterfly- apparently you can peak any time between about day 12 and day 18 so it might happen later.

NJH my advice would be keeping trying regardless there are so many stories on here of people who had all kinds of probems as did their partners but they went on to conceive and then if it doesn't work out there's always plan B with the hospital. The aiting is so frustrating though I literally thought it woul be something they would sort within a week or two- how naive!

Beeb I would go with the clomid personally. It has taken me a while to acept that it's hihly unlikely (although not impossible) for me to get pregnant on my own so I've gotten to a stage where I'm prepared to give mother nature a kick to get my ovaries working again. I want a BFP and no longer care what method it takes. I know what you mean thouh it did take me a while to come to terms with not just magically thinking one day oops I've missed my period only to be greeted with a BFP like in a film. My DH didn't understand why I was annoyed with my body for not working with me on this. I only used AC for a week or 2 but vaguely remember my wee being a bit strange- is it possible you could have a touch of a water infection too or you're a bit dehydrated? I thought it was making my wee 'fizzy' but I've since realised that it only seems that way for a day or 2 after we've bd'd so I think it's down to my husand haha (blushes).

Mrs Robson- crossing everything for an AF or BFP for you- and soon! xxx
  • Thanks Hope - got my fourth negative this morning so thinking I'm not pregnant and got no AF either so it looks like another false smiley. Boo!! image

I think on the clomid debate my personal choice would be to jump at the chance of having it as my body has proved to be pretty unreliable fertility wise but it' definitely a personal choice. I'm already on metformin so it's not as if I'm drug free now! My doctor has said I can try with clomid in August but I have to wait until then. Well, if my track record so far is anything to go by I'll only miss one shot in that time anyway!!

DH is having a semen analysis this Friday just to rule him out. To be honest I think he'll be fine as he did get an ex pregnant whilst using the withdrawal method - he must have super sperm!!! So it's all just me and my messed up ovaries. Ra! But good to have DH do something otherwise I feel it's just me going to the doctor getting checked out and poked and prodded.

NJH - don't have your same combination so don't know what to suggest, sorry! Keep browsing teh internet though - it's really been brilliant for keeping me informed!

Butterfly - I don't use a CBFM not because I don't want to but because I think you have to have some kind of regular cycle for it to work. I also seem to get false positives on OPKs so really don't think it's gonna work for me.

Hope you guys are all having a good week!

Baby dust xx
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you so much to you all for your replies to my question. It is so much appreciated and I know you all understand where I am coming from. Your comments have made me feel a lot better about the idea of starting the Clomid too.

Butterfly, I had to give up with CBFM as it didn't seem to get my peak days right (only went to peak a few days after I ov'ed according to temps). I'm sure you already know it doesn't always work for those of us with PCOS.

MrsRobson - good luck to your DH for his SA. Mine just had his too (so they know if there is any point in me taking Clomid). Let us know how his numbers come out!

Njh78 on SA there are some really useful threads on Long Term TTC where some ladies DH/DP's have really improved their SA results with diet/cutting alcohol. And where people have gone on to get pg. Might be worth a look?

Hope everyone enjoyed St V day!! We did!

Bxx
  • Heheh!! After two BFNs by that point we had bubbly and oysters for Valentine's Day - double pregnancy no-no!! Well we gotta make the most of it I guess....! xx
  • It's really interesting to read all your stories, makes me feel less alone in this. :\)

My husband and I (married 6 months) are both 25, nearly 26. Came off the pill April 09 and PCO diagnosed in December 09. First Fertility Unit appt in December 09. Very irregular cycles, 40 days to 6 months! In fact that one could have been longer but Af was brought on by Provera to prepare for HyCoSy. This showed clear tubes in Feb 10. Hubby's SA is abnormal and being redone, he has high prolactin levels so is also seeing an endocrinologist. Hoping for Clomid in March 10 when we go back to the Fertility Unit as they don't think I can ov on my own.

It sounds so complicated written down all in one go!
  • Definitely good to be able to chat to people in the same boat. I get so jealous on ttc when it seems like everyone else has perfect cycles and knows when they can expect ov or AF! I know it's not like that for everyone but it so easy to feel alone in being different with no days to count! I got so excited thinking I might actually have ov'ed and am feeling quite deflated now image Hope we all ov soon! xx
  • Im Vickie, im 21 (nearly 22). My hub2b is 22. we have been together since Wednesday 3rd December 2003 (lol, i remember the time and what we were wearing too!) so that is just a little bit over 6 years. we are hoping to get married in July. I was told I had PCOS when I was 16, I have since had 3 operations, 2 keyhole, 1 Invasive. The Invasive op saw me lose half my right ovary... I was 19! I have also had 7 misscarriages that resulted in the loss of 8 boys. My Aunt also had the same problem! Infertility runs in my family *snigger*!
  • Hi

Can I join you? I have been married to my dh 3 years now and have 2 sons - 1 is 3 and other is 19weeks old. My oH has decided that maybe we would like to do it again. Just thought I would give you bit of hope. I have PCOS and struggle with my weight. It took 4.5 years to have Alfie and was on Metformin to regulate my cycles. Never used any precautions after birth knowing how long it could take and conceived him using metformin and clomid as apparently they work better when used together according to my consultant. Well now I am TTC for number 3.
    I know alot of you are trying for number 1 but I thought it would give you some hope to know the drugs can work if you get them.
    I had to lose a lot of weight to be able to go on clomid - unfortunatley it has gone back on during pregnancy as I obviously had to stop the metformin which helped alot.

Any way hope you all get your BFP ASAP and I would def get the drugs if offered as they worked for me.