Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hello can I join you and have some advice please :-)

Hi Ladies,

I've been over on the 'trying for a baby borad' but have been diagnosed with PCOS today.

To cut a long story short I came off the pill in Febuary after 8 years and only had one AF then and one in June. I'd been to the doctors a couple of times and finally they sent me for blood tests last week. I've been told I have PCOS.

My doctor is refering me to a gynaecologist at the hospital and she said she or they (I'm not sure which) will prescribe Clomifen- can anyone tell me more about what it is and what it does or pros and cons so I can know more about it.

Also what kind of symptoms do people have? Other than hardly having any AFs I hadn't really noticed any symptoms but I've just had a quick look at the NHS site and I have been losing lots of hair- I have thick hair but keep finding trails all over the bath and house haha. I seem to have acne again since I stopped the pill and whilt I could do with losing a few pounds my BMI is normal.

Any help, advice or support would be much appreciated.

Hope xx

Replies

• wow, i just commented on someone else's post a sec ago who had just been told they had pcos and didnt know it.

symptoms vary really so it is possible to have it and have no symptoms, or it is possible to have the symptoms but not have the cysts (just to make it even harder to get ur head round! lol)

clomifen? not heard of it but maybe its known as clomid for short. im still relatively new to all this too (not the pcos - the ttc side of things) so i cant say for sure.

if it is clomid tho there are quite a few posts about it so maybe have a bit of search around and im sure someone can give you a bit more advise than i can!

ps - love ur avatar, i found that yesterday when i was looking for inspiration for a new tattoo... love it even tho butterflies arent 'my thing'...! image

xXx
  • Hi Hope09, i'm in a similar situation. Got refered to gyn as have had no af since stopping the pill in dec. Had first appointment last week where they gave me a progesterone injection to induce a bleed, didnt' work. Back today for a scan where they saw that my ovaries were polycystic. I too don't have any other symptoms to speak of, normal BMI but noticed i've put on a few pounds since coming off the pill.
    Gyn going to give me a few rounds of clomid to see if it will help me to ovulate but she's not hopeful coz i seem to be resistent to the progesterone.
    Sorry, not really giving any advice but it's nice to know you're not the only one going through this x x
  • Hey Hope!

I've mainly stayed in the waiting for AF group in ttc but it would seem slowly we're drifting into the PCOS group - I've found Magpie here too.

I've been to the doctor today and been referred for a scan after my bloods came back with raised LH (apparently indicative of PCOS).

My sister has PCOS and mother is pretty sure she had it so I'm convinced it's the explanation for my crazed cycle as a teen and lack of cycle since coming off BCP.

As for symptoms - I've always been prone to spots and am still using super strength spot creme at the age of 28 (I never did grow out of that!). Keeps it under control but I break out if I don't use it twice a day. I've always had a lot of hair come out in the shower etc.. but have thought of that as normal - who knows??!!

Anyways, I'll keep you up to date and may well be joining this group properly soon xx