Forum home› Getting pregnant› Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

regular periods = ov?

I have pcos and was diagnosed 5 years ago. I was on the pill for a few years but before that I had a regular 28 day cycle. My main problem is hair growth and weight issues, never missed a period in my life!

Since being off the pill I have had a 25, 26 and 28 day cycles.

My main question is are the problems with ttc for pcos sufferers related to irregular cycles or are there any ladies on here with regular cycles like me who have still found ttc difficult?

I know you don't necessarily ovulate with every period but everything I have read online suggests that if I have regular periods with my pcos then ttc shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ANY advice is welcome please xxx

Replies

• Hi,

It sounds positive that you have regular cycles but I know it doesn't always mean you are ov'g...would it be worth going to gp and asking for 21 day bloods to be done? Just for peace of mind as that will tell you that you are def ov'g or you could try using opk's for a month or so as they will aslo tell you that you are ov'g.

You are definately ina positive position as I know alot of ladies with PCOS either don't have regular periods or have really long cycles.
  • Thanks Sazzle - I think I might go to the doctor for 21 day bloods xx
  • hi hun my doc suspected pcos and i had no periods once a yr or so but went on to have 4 beautiful children with my ex husband. i still have hair growth probs and went to docs today about it but because im trying for a baby he concentrated on the fact i can concieve ( this time new partner) and dismissed my concerns on my hair ok for them... grrrrr and my periods are regular since my daughter arrived she nearly 5 now infact they have gone to early since started ttc ... u aint alone hunnie xx
  • Thanks Brammer - it's just good to hear that it can be done image xx
  • Hi,

I have just joined, so this is my first post/reply.

I had regular periods all my life. But also had thining hair, and the spare tire LOL for most of my adult life. I am married and well was trying for a baby, still am, when I noticed my periods were getting irregular...this went on for 6months. By irregular I mean I used to be every 28 days, then it became 21 days 23 days, 29 days etc.....I finally went to a doc when I had severe ab pain, and spotting. I was diagnosed with an infection....I went to this doc for months, and was put on clomid to help concieve. I was not diagnosed with anything other than an infection yet...I live in Libya, it is the norm LOL. So I got very unnerved by this doc, she kept saying my infection was back and that is why I was not getting PG. I went to another Fertility doc, and he thought it might be Endo, so booked me for a Laproscopy.....It was during this we discovered I had Mild PID( the reoccuring infection) and moderate PCOS. Well Doc did Ovary drilling there and then (ahhh once again Libya hahahaha) and once I healed, I was put on Clomid. Just finished 1 round. No luck

So anyway the reason I am telling you all this, is I did not fit the ''PCOS criteria'' either apart from the hair.....and even the doc did not spot it 'till he investigated/ microscope.

So you may be like me.....My prob is I DO OVULATE, but I qvulate too early, therefore my eggs are immature, and cannot be fertilised. It is an imbalance with my FSH, and LH..
    The Clomid helps, by disguising my ''normal'' FSH, so my body produces more.

Hope this helps.....BTW Doc says I have ''excellent Ovulation '' now, so in a way I consider myself one of the Lucky PCOSrs....by the fact I am half way there, ie ovulating.....maybe you are too.

BTW yeah I did not find much on internet about my situation either.....confusing eh.