Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010

Bottles and naps...arggh

Hi, I hope someone can help me out a bit.

My son is almost 11 months old and seems to have dropped down from 3 naps to 2 naps a day. I am finding it hard to work out when to give im his food/snacks/formula.

I think he is giving up on his 3pm bottle, so that leaves a morning and evening one.

What I'd like to know is what people do in terms of: do you give bottle when they first get up, then breakfast about an hour later, or do you give breakfast and bottle at the same time?

He then tends to go to sleep about 9.45am for anything upto about 1.5 hours (so about 11.15am), would you then give a snack if you were giving them lunch at 12pm, or would you give a snack and then give lunch at say about 1pm...and what sort of thing do you give as a snack?

When do you give a snack in the afternoon, what sort of thing, and then what time do you give tea? Currently he has his tea at about 5pm, then a bottle about 7pm then bed.

Also, how do you transition from milk in a bottle to milk in a beaker? (he'll drink a little bit of water from a beaker, but not usually much during the day).

Finally how much formula should they be having at this age in a day? I'd say he currently has about 12ozs, plus the cows milk on his cereal, plus a yoghurt at lunch, and sometimes some cheese with his tea.

Sorry so all the questions. We were doing absolutely fine on out little routine, then he decided to change his naps and now I'm totally confued, and go back to work in 2 weeks so would like to be a bit more sorted by then as he'll be going to stay at my mums and she'd like to know when to give stuff. x

Replies

• hiya im confused about what to do at the mo too! Freya was 11 months last week and she has a bf first thing, then weetabix with cows milk at around 8.30-9 then a 5 oz bottle at 10.30 ish, then lunch and a little dessert or fruit followed by a 4oz bottle, then tea t about 4.30 to 5pm followed by another 4oz bottle, then another 5oz bottle around 7.30, then bath and a quick bf before bed! I think she is having too much milk, so might try to cut the first thing bf and 10,.30 bottle and just give her a bottle at 7.30 when she wakes and then a snack (eg. yoghurt or rice cakes) mid morning. Ill keep you posted!

WRT naps she tends to have one just before lunch for about an hour and then around 4pm for between half an hour and an hour.
  • Hi there.

Lily dropped her afternoon nap quite a while a go, so we're in a pretty stable routine again.

Lily wakes at 7AM, has a bottle straight away then a weetabix with full fat cows milk. She then naps from 9:30AM until 10AM, and then she has her lunch at 12 (no snacks in between), then nap from 12:30 until 2:30, and then a beaker of formula straight away, and then dinner at 5:30, then last bottle of formula at 6:30, then bed at 7.

So Lily doesn't really have any snacks.

As for moving milk into a beaker, my advice is just take it slow, Lily has been having her 2:30 milk from a beaker since she was about 9 months, I'll be moving her morning milk into a beaker soon.

I think I read somewhere that at this age they should be having a minimum of 12oz of milk a day. Lily has 17oz a day, which is why she doesn't have snacks, as she has quite large meals.

Hope this helps.

xxx