Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

tightenings?

Has anyone else started to get the joy of tightenings or braxton hicks yet.

Over the past week I have been getting them in increasing frequency whenever I a moving. I am on crutches but get them walking around at work, going up and down stairs etc. They are not really painful but take my breath away and can be very uncomfortable. I got them earlier on with ds2 but not as early as this that I can remember. Hopefully it is a sign that my body will start early without induction (I can hope)

Just wondered if anyone else was getting these?

Replies

• Options
    yes me too, a lot more than i ever did in my first pregnancy! scary although its preparation! image
  • Options
    It is strange isn't it. I didn't get them with my first. I got them from about 32weeks with my 2nd and this time from 28weeks. They are the boddy practicing and preparing - you would have thought it would know how to do it after the first one and wouldn't need to practice as much!!!
  • Options
    i got them from about 20 weeks but not painful and only occasionally. its my first so it was very very weird at first when my belly went all hard like that.
  • Options
    I never got these with my first and still haven't got them. I am 30 weeks on Monday. My first was almost 6 weeks early but I didn't feel any different coming up to it so my body didn't let me know it was preparing me. It just give me a shock lol. If I feel tightenings this time I will probably panick in case the baby comes early as I don't know how I would know the difference. Does everyone get Braxton Hicks?
  • Options
    me toO! started a couple of weeks ago (now 28weeks today) had them with my first but not untill after 35 weeks, its scary when its earlier spesh with the baby grinding his head down on my pelvis feels like he is trying to get out!

Find it a weird feeling but not painfull although had about 12 the other day every sorta 5 minutes and thought crap, but they went away thank god! lol
  • Options
    Ooh yes. Mine 1st started at around 23 weeks, its so weird. Its so uncomfortable, your belly just goes rock hard. I get it about 4 or 5 times a day sometimes.

I read somewhere if you are getting it more than 4 times an hour then you must contact the labour ward, i would of thought only if it was really painful and your getting blood or discharge with it then we should.

MPP + Blue Bump (28+4)

xxx
  • Options
    i've been getting them this last week (am 27 weeks now, 1st baby) they seem to be started off by baby wriggleing a lot, then suddenly my whole lower belly tightens, feels more so on the left (i think thats where my baby's head is and i have placenta on upper right so not sure if that makes me feel it less on the right). Its a strange feeling but doesnt hurt. x
  • Options
    I had some last week lots in a row then had some bloody dicharge went into hospital to be monitored but all was ok. I havent suffered with these with any of my other pregnancies. If I had just had the tightenings then I would not have been too worried but the bleeding panicked me.

Just want my princess to stay put til at least 37 weeks image
  • Options
    Mine have not started with this pregnancy yet! I can't say I'm looking forward to them as they hurt like hell with Arthur! xx
  • Options
    I have been getting them for past 2 weeks- ( I am 28 weeks on Sat) i thought it was the baby changing position but now i realise that its the braxton hicks!! I have so much to learn in this pregnancy! I prob have it 3-4 times a day for 30secs at a time, its quite uncomfortable! x