Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Pregnancy web clinic with midwife Nikki Khan, Monday 25th June, 12-1pm

Prima Baby's resident midwife, Nikki Khan, will be hosting a webchat here on Monday 25th June, between 12-1pm.

An expert midwife for the past decade, Nikki will advise on all areas of pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn babies.

Don't worry if you can't make the time and date, post your question now and Nikki will answer as many queries on the day as possible.

Replies

• Hi Nikki

I am in my 37th week of pregnancy and had a flare up of piles in the last few days with external sweling and want to get things under control before the big push!  I am trying prepH, warm baths and increased fibre and water but any extra advice would be appreciated as I am worried about the birth impact and potential postnatal issues.

Thanks & Best, TJ

• Hi Everyone

My name is Nikki Khan and I am Prima Baby's Expert Midwife.

I am here to answer any questions you may have in relation to pregnancy and childbirth from 12 till 1pm today.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Nikki

• Hi Nikki, 

I am only 6 weeks pregnant, I normally exercise 3 or 4 times a week. Do you think I should carry on with my normal routine or shall I stop exercising until my 12 week scan.. I am really worried I might over do it.

Thanks Nikki

CC 

• Hi Nikki, thank God you're here! I've just foud out I'm pregnant and I don't want to eat or drink anything that I shouldn't but the list seems so huge and daunting. A friend of mine said to relax and not worry too much and that I CAN eat blue cheese as long as it's cooked [on a pizza or something] - is this true??

Thanks Lisa

• Hi TJ

Unfortunately haemorroids (piles) do tend to get worse in the last trimester, and there are no recommended surgical options until after the birth, as haemorroids are caused by the pregnancy hormones and the pressure of your growing uterus. You could use moistened toilet tissue rather than dry tissue as this can sometimes be more soothing to the affected area after passing a bowel motion.Otherwise you are doing all the recommended advice already!

Also some women find that the application of ice packs to the affected area can give symptomatic relief but they must only be placed on the area for a short period of time (around 15 minutes).

There are various creams and ointments on the market and it may be worth asking your GP whether an alternative cream with an anesthetic or steroid base could be suitable for you when pregnant.

Piles will initially get worse following the birth but then should start to improve as long as you avoid getting constipated! If they still persist by your 6 week postnatal check, ask your GP for advice on the various treatment options available and he may refer you on.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Nikki

• Hi CC2

Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy!

The main thing to remember is not to start anything new and depending on the type of exercise you are doing there are certain exercises which should be avoided when pregnant, but general exercise such as walking and swimming are highly recommended in pregnancy. In Yoga for instance certain positions are not advised in the first trimester, so always let your instructor know that you are pregnant before a class.

The more active and fit you are during pregnancy, the easier it will be to help you adapt to your changing shape in preparation for labour. However, you are more prone to straining muscles and sprains when pregnant due to the pregnancy hormones so always ensure you warm up with stretches first before an exercise session.

Most importantly listen to your body!

Nikki

• I am 22weeks pg with my third baby. He doesn't move much. I notice movement when i first wake then at 4pm and when i go to bed. These are no more than a couple of kicks. My other sons moved constantly at this stage. Should i be worried? Everything was normal at 20w scan except that my bump is large. However i have had a previous 10lb baby, so am being monitored for this. Thanks
  • Hi Leakyloolah

Congratulations on the pregnancy and I agree with your friend that you should try and relax, however there are certain foods that should be avoided in pregnancy.

Blue cheese is a 'no, no',  I am afraid and should be avoided along with the unpasteurised cheeses such as Roquefort which must be avoided as these cheeses could contain the bacteria listeria which can cause an infection called Listeriosis that can harm your baby.

All fresh fruit and vegetables must be washed thouroughly before eating as they may contain other bacteria which can  be harmful to your growing fetus. Also avoid eating foods which have raw eggs as an ingredient as they can contain a bacteria called salmonella which can cause stomach upsets. Cured meats such as parma ham and salami should also be avoided as should pate and liver.

I know it seems like a long list but, it is important to know the foods that are safe in pregnancy and it is easy to adapt accordingly! Honest!

Sorry, I could not be more flexible!!

Good luck!

Nikki

• Hi everyone

Get your questions in by 1.30pm & I promise to answer all questions recieved!

Nikki

• Hi nimmy82

It may be that you are more distracted with your other two children this time around at this stage and not noticing the movements, but as the movements appear sluggish to you, I would advise you make a conscious effort to try to focus on the movements over a 24 hour period and if they are still reduced contact the Labour Ward for reassurance. The fact that you have had a 10lb baby before and your bump appears large this time around may be that they are monitoring you for gestational diabetes, so check that out at your next antenatal appointment .

Sometimes the reason you don't feel as many movements, is because your placenta is anterior (at the front) & therefore cushions the movements of your baby in utero.

It may be that your baby's movements will improve after you have eaten or even taken a cold glass of water, try it , it usually works!

However trust your instincts and if you are concerned at all regarding your baby's movements, then contact Labour Ward and they can reassure you!

Good luck!

Nikki

• Hi Everyone

I am signing off now!

Thank you for your questions and good luck with your pregnancies.

See you here for next month's webchat!!

Nikki x

• Hello Nikki i am not sure if im expecting i went to the er and the nurse told me that i was but the line on the test was verry faint the did a ultrasound and then said i was not that was wednesday i took another test today but there was no positive line just a verry faint negative line 

• hi i was due to have my period today, i got it friday and yesterday it stopped i was only on for two days i have had unproctected sex, all sunday every time i ate i was sick and dizzy which follows on today could i be pregnant?

• Hi i came off the pill last month didnt have a withdrawal bleed. 4 days ago i did i pregnancy test and got a faint positive line. Ive been having sickness and really bad heart burn which i havent had since i was pregnant with my first. Could i be pregnant? Im concerned after a bad miscarriage at the beginning of last year
  • ive been on the implanon 2years and before years on depo i want a baby i removed my implanon 2weeks ago no sign of af i feel naussea help can i be prego or how long will it take to concive

• I had bleeding at 11 weeks but didn't loose no baby been back to my scan today a week later now 12 weeks baby's fine moving about etc but she see a pool of blood underneath my sack and said be ready for more bleeding but I'm scared I may loose baby.I'm confused as baby seems to be fine but she's said my placenta has come away a bit is there any chance of this baby surviving x
  • ive just found out im pregnet 4weeks  with my 8th child ive had 5 natural births and 2 cezareans i had my last baby 14weeks ago via cezarian is there a chance of safe natural delivery

• Hi.Nikki.Hope you are fine.Well my last period was on 20september.I'm pregnant.i will be in 2month on 20november.But on and off i'm having very light spotting.Does anyone got that?And im having nauseaimage

• Hi

I'm after a little advice I'm pregnant again with baby number 8

I've been losing a brown discharge of and on for two days now

I hv never had this with any of my pregnancies before

My last labour one year ago ended in n emergency c section is this brown discharge to do ith that or because I've had so many children before

I look forward o seeing anyone's adivce please
  • Hi Nikki,

Im 7.5 weeks pregnant and have had few symptoms. at first i had some cramping and nausea without vomiting, but then they started fading. now i very rarely get either, and if i do they are mild. however in the last week i missed two or three folic acid pills and experienced very light bleeding. it started brownish, but then became a little redder. i have taken two folic acid pills since then and the bleeding appears to have stopped. is it possible that the bleeding was caused by missing these pills?

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions