Forum home General Chat General chat

Silly question

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if you can use fabric conditioner on babies clothes? I've been told to use non-bio and wash them before baby can wear them. Was going to do that today but not sure whether to avoid fabric conditioner. :roll: x

Replies

• mmm, good question! Not sure, I washed my daughters clothes with fabric conditioner when she was a baby and had no probs but not sure if it is recommended or not... sorry not much help!
  • Think the non-bio thing is because of allergies but not sure if this is the same for fabric conditioner. There are just too many things too worry about! image
  • I had the same dillema when I was washing my little ones things for the first time. I was advised to use comfort pure (which I still use) she is 8 weeks old now and no problems yet xx
  • Will you be washing everything you've bought for the baby or just the blankets etc?
  • Was going to wash clothes I've bought. Don't have too many as waiting to see what baby is and what prezzies I get. I've also knitted some things and not sure whether to wash them or not. Probably will, just in case x
  • ive washed everything before the baby uses it, i used Fairy's non-bio and fairy's non-bio fabric softener too, everything smells lovely.
  • Yeah i was going to wash everything too. People have said its a waste of time washing all the babygrows etc as you need to iron them all again. But I think it will be fun so I plan on washing the lot.
    I'm 28 weeks though so a little early, when do you think I should start washing it?
    xx
  • Yeah i was going to wash everything too. People have said its a waste of time washing all the babygrows etc as you need to iron them all again. But I think it will be fun so I plan on washing the lot.
    I'm 28 weeks though so a little early, when do you think I should start washing it?
    xx
  • I am 28 weeks and washed all my baby clothes two weeks ago cause I am so excited :\) I used Comfort Pure softener as I have been told that that one is ok to use
  • I think its just a matter of opinion really, dont believe it really matters. Im on my 5th and have allways washed my babies clothes using the same liqiud and softener that i use for all of the family. If you tend to suffer from allergies then maybe go for a gentle, hypo allergenic washing powder, liquid and fabric conditioner. Happy washing! lol. x
  • I've never used softener on my own clothes, is it necessary to use on baby clothes? i got a whole loads of cast offs from friends, they have already been washed, should i wash them all again just in case? was planning to do it when i start maternity leave, can't wait to see little things on the wash line! lol claire x
  • Hi Claire, i think you would feel happier knowing that you had washed them yourself, i know i would! I sometimes feel the some peoples washing is just not up to scratch!! lol. Maybe its just me, im a bit fussy! lol. x
  • I dont think you need to use Fabric Softner, its really up to you. I dont think I would wash them all again.
    Yeah I was planning on washing it all when I start maternity leave at the end of March.
  • I've been thinking i would wash enough for a couple of weeks, i have so many new baby clothes i've filled two small chest of drawers with them all! there's more in the loft for 6m+!! and i know we are going to be given loads of stuff too...oh well, will make some extra cash on ebay when he grows out of them eh?!
  • Good idea Claire, sell them on and make some money!
  • ive decided your all mad, are you going to iron them aswell:\?
  • I don't know if I will iron them unless they really need done. I like the idea of washing them all but I might leave the ironing to my hubby!!!!!
  • Oh, and by the way THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A SILLY QUESTION! so i was told anyway by a teacher! btw, i wish ironing had never been invented! luckily my OH doesn't like his clothing ironed, i dont even know where my iron is. might get into it when i have a month off and nothing else to do though!! lol!
  • I washed my baby's clothes in fairy non-bio and used fairy fabric softner, just because it smells nice and makes the clothes feel soooo soft. It is a personal choice, some people do and some don't. And yes I ironed them aswell!!!!
  • Thanks all. I do like ironing Claire, so you can send me yours image Think i'll give them a wash this week cause i've only five weeks to go and if baby comes early . . . x