Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Hypnobirthing

Hi, I am hoping to have a water birth and my midwife suggested doing a hypnobirthing course. Has anyone done one and would they recommend it? Thanks Amanda

Replies

• Hi Amanda,
    I've not done a course but I've read the book, Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method. It's actually a quite refreshing approach. I would like a natural birth and the book has given me more confidence that this is possible.
  • Hi, I've also just looked into local classes I'ld love to hear what others say too!
  • Try asking Sim75 in Due in November - she's done a course and was full of good info when I asked her about it a while ago.
    xx
  • I looked into a course but thought at nearly ??300 they were too expensive for me. I looked on the NCT website and found a CD which looked quite good with positive reviews - it arrived today and I listened to it for the first time tonight and thought it was really good, I almost felt disappointed when I didn't feel the contractions. I wasn't scared about the labour but now i'm really looking forward to it and that was after just listening to it once.
  • I'm doing a hypnobirthing course in February (due early June). It's ??250 but most of that cost will be covered by the ??190 (non-means tested - everyone gets it) Health In Pregnancy grant. I was recommended by a friend from work who did a course and used the techniques in her labour - she said she was so calm that the consultant at the hospital thought she'd had an epidural!
  • Hi there

I am currently half way thruog my hypnobirthing course. I decided to do it after 2 freinds recommended it to me. I originally just bought the book and CD's first, but convonced myself that they were rubbish and that the classes would be so much better!!!

so I have spent ??250 on classes, which to be honest, has been a waste of money. We have spent a total of 20 mins practising the relaxation techniques, the rest of the time has been just a lady talking / presenting info from the book.

I know that other people have found the classes beneficial, so if yo uhave the spare cash then go for it. With the benefit of hindsight, i would have saved my money and put it towards the pram!

I cant even be bothered to go to my class on saturday, but I have paid for it, so i will.

Lisa xx
  • Hi there

i had my baby 8 months ago and heard about hypnobirthing when i was about 7 and a half months pregnant and i wish i had found out about it before. I didnt have enough time to go to the classes so i ordered the book off the internet and thought it was worth a try.

After reading the book i did feel much better about giving birth as i was really dreading it before. The breathing techniques were really good and very calming. I was 5 days overdue and went for a session of reflexology that morning and went into labour that night around half 7 and my baby was born at half past 11 with no pain relief and i didnt actually think it was that bad and i was able to breathe through the contractions and when i arrived at the hospital i was fully dilated and had my baby in around 40 mins! I didnt even need stitches!

I would definately recommend reading the book i found it helped me so much i dont know if the classes would help more but i know their really expensive. I think your better off buying the book for ??10 and having a session of reflexology to relax you which is money well spent.

Good luck with everything and hope you have a good labour

Sam x

• I bought the CD's second hand off eBay...I totally recommend them - I was so calm that I didn't realise how far along I was and got to hospital just 20mins before giving birth!!!

I looked at the courses but my closest would have been a 30mins drive away at the time so I really couldn't be bothered & the CD's worked anyway...I laughed the first time I listened to them but they DO WORK, doesn't stop the pain but kept me very much in control.
    xxx
  • I have loved the hypnobirthing. I did the classes at 28wks I think it was. I cannot rave about it enough for what it has done for me. Im quite fearful of hospitals and all things medical, and the thought of giving birth petrified me to the point where I couldnt even think about it or discuss it. But after reading the book and doing the course everything changed and I now cannot wait to give birth (Im planning a home water birth).

You can do it alone by reading the Marie Mongan book and getting the Rainbow Relaxation CD (plus other downloads available on the net) but I personally got a lot out of the course, as did my hubby. We had a very good teacher though.

Not sure where you are based, Im in London and can recommend a good one here if you are based here too.

There are some great clips on you tube as well. This one is my all time fave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriqhDFo088

I have loads of other info too if you need more. Just give me a shout in the Nov forum or email me.

xx
    41+3
  • Where should I look for a class & do you know if they get booked up really fast?
  • hiya someone said i did hypnobirthing all on my own in labour lol im not so sure but you can read my birth story if it helps you? personly i wouldnt spend that much money on classes all i kept thinking was listen to you body! only push with your contraction and listen to your midwife image ill re post me birth story if you guys want to read? might not be useful but maybe worth a look? xxx
  • Oh my goodness, that youtube clip was amazing sim75 - just amazing. I cried at the end - it was the way she reacted to her baby being born when all along she had seemed almost in a trance. Just amazing! Good luck with your hypnobirth!

Ruth x
    27+1
  • I did the cds when pregnant with my lo (nearly a year old) and they were great, not only for relaxation in pregnancy but with the labour. I had a really quick labour so a lot of the techniques went out the window but we played the birthing music and I think subconsciously they helped me to relax. I got mine second hand off ebay too.

• Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for all your comments. My friend has given me her CDs and I have bought the book. Didn't feel I could justify the cost of the course! Thanks again

Amanda
  • Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to say that i had hypnobirthing with a lady called Sophie. She was so great and I ended up having a completely natural birth! I didnt need any med. intervention at all! I also got the cds and book but felt that i woulf get so much more from a live class and i'm so glad i did it. I cant rave about it enough! Her website is www.hypnobirthingfortyou.co.uk and you can email her on sophie@hypnobirthingforyou.co.uk

Definitely worth the money

xxx
  • I have loved the hypnobirthing. I did the classes at 28wks I think it was. I cannot rave about it enough for what it has done for me. Im quite fearful of hospitals and all things medical, and the thought of giving birth petrified me to the point where I couldnt even think about it or discuss it. But after reading the book and doing the course everything changed and I now cannot wait to give birth (Im planning a home water birth).

You can do it alone by reading the Marie Mongan book and getting the Rainbow Relaxation CD (plus other downloads available on the net) but I personally got a lot out of the course, as did my hubby. We had a very good teacher though.

Not sure where you are based, Im in London and can recommend a good one here if you are based here too.

There are some great clips on you tube as well. This one is my all time fave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriqhDFo088

I have loads of other info too if you need more. Just give me a shout in the Nov forum or email me.

xx
    41+3

Is this the right thing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hypnobirthing-Natural-Approach-Comfortable-Birthing/dp/0757302661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263377014&sr=8-1-spell

does the rainbow cd come with the book?

thanks
  • I've just come off the phone to a lady that runs a hypnobirthing course near to me. I've been watching lots of birth videos on youtube and the hypnobirthing ones seem so relaxed which is what triggered my curiosity.

The course i have found costs ??275 and consists of 4 sessions across a month. I get a book and a cd/dvd as well i think... Not really sure what to do after reading this thread as it is expensive but i think i might have a browse for the book and cd on ebay/amazon first and see how it goes...also need to discuss it with the hubby! lol!

Jubilee- look on http://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/ you can then find your nearest hypnobirthing class.

xx
  • can someone tell me what is the right book to buy please? amazon have so many!
  • good luck - i had a hypnobirth and had a totally pain free birth xxxxx
  • can someone tell me what is the right book to buy please? amazon have so many!

marie mongan rainbow relaxation xxx