Forum home Babies Baby

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this insulting

Gisele Bundchen's interview in the Daily Mail... Her self righteousness and patronising attitude is infuriating! I'm not trying to raise a breast feeding debate just find her attitude to be terrible and potentially very damaging to young mum's who have not found things as easy as she allegedly has!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1299711/Smug-mother-Gisele-Bundchen-says-law-forcing-women-breastfeed-months.html

Replies

• yeh, i think "whatever love!" i breastfed for 9months but i wouldnt force anyone into doing it!!! silly cow!
  • Stupid cow were my exact thoughts upon reading that! I like how one of her most important factors seemed to be that it helped her keep her figure. How on earth must this make mums struggling with BFing feel?
  • I just read it - what an absolute freaking idiot. I'm quite pro breastfeeding but she just really gets my goat up, she's always coming out with stupid statements, her PR people should get sacked! Having said that I also think Denise VO is a bit of an a**e too. Seems to be so busy trying to self-publicise herself you wonder when she gets time to be a mum. Another debate for another day....

Right I'll get back down off my high horse now...
  • Just read it, I don't only find it insulting but incredibly upsetting. I wish that every mother that wants to bf could find it so easy. What a narrowMinded self obsessed bitch! If she stepped down off her bikini-clad pedestal and joined the real world maybe shed learn something! Sorry but that's really got to me
  • She's just an idiot, babe. I'm not insulted because I couldn't give a flying feck about what she thinks!
    xx
  • To be honest, it just made me laugh! I have absolutely no regard for her opinion at all and she comes across as a clueless, naive little twit
  • She's very, very lucky - she's clearly had an easy., uncomplicated natural birth and has found breastfeeding simple. Not every mother is so fortunate. There are many bottlefeeding mums in the world who would have given their right arm to breastfeed, who mourn that lost dream every day, and whilst she perhaps didn't mean to cause insult and upset, her smug comments from her lofty tower will no doubt wound many of them. Thoughtless.
  • Whilst I think that some of her comments are a bit ridiculous, remember this is the Daily Mail reporting here so is probably worded very differently from what she actually said.........
  • wow, I always admired her for being a model who actually ate but after reading those comments i'm not so sure, has she never heard of women who cant bf, what would she like those women to do if such a law was imposed, very narrow minded.
  • Well lucky old her finding it so easy. If only it were like that for everyone.

*Not for one second did it cross my mind that I was not going to have my baby at home. I am not the first person to give birth naturally. Billions of other women have come before me and have done this - so why can't I do it?*

This annoyed me more than the bf comments. Sometimes babies just won't come out by themselves! And some of us have complications that mean we are better off in the hospital - I'd give anything for a homebirth, or at least a non medicalised experience, but it's just not going to happen, and I feel bad enough without idiots like her waxing lyrical about it. And yes, billions of women have done it all naturally over the centuries - but how many of them (and their babies) have died in the process???

• Flippin eck! Well I might of had an assisted delivery, epidural and not breastfed my baby for very long, but at least I didn't leave him at 6 wks to prance around in a bikini!!!

(Not that anybody would have really wanted to see that anyway!!)

xxx
  • Whilst I think that some of her comments are a bit ridiculous, remember this is the Daily Mail reporting here so is probably worded very differently from what she actually said.........

I heard it on the news the other day and from the look of the article Ii just skimmed through it) it is quoting what she said in an interview with harpers bizarre magazine.

Shes a twat, I didn't BF for 6 days post my babies birth due to tounge tie (undiagnosed for much of that time) if I hadn't pushed for a reason why I would have had to carry on expressing- which I defo would have given up on, and formula feeding.

She clearly has no idea about the real world.

Also I had arranged to have a HB but my waters went and were meconium stained so off to hospital for a c- section I went, maybe i should have stayed at home and had my baby die, afterall I wouldnt be the first woman for that to happen to. IDIOT.
  • Whilst I think she was too blunt with her wording (perhaps due to translation?), I really admire her forthrightness and pro-bf'g stance. Her opinions are strong and unapologetic and I like that.
    I agree with her that bf is best for six months, that a lot of women treat their bodies as 'garbage disposals' when pregnant (I certainly ate way more than I should), and that labour is hard and its best to go into it prepared.
    People may not like what she says but you cannot deny that she is right!! She is just very tactless, and hasn't taken into consideration those who cannot bf or have had other complications.
    I was more offended by Denise Van Outen's words, saying she stopped bf'g after 3 weeks so she could buy starbucks coffees without worrying about being photographed nursing her child. I pity her putting her vanity and insecurities ahead of her child's welfare.
  • Isn't Denise Van Outen now writing for Prima baby? She should get sacked if that coffee thing is true.

Katels I agree with you that breast is best and it annoys me when people argue otherwise and complain about NHS Breast is Best ads, however I think her point is lost when she starts saying it should be made the law, she just sounds like a self righteous moron. Perhaps if she feels that strongly she could use some of her money towards training breast feeding councillors to do their jobs better as from my experience every single one of them was rubbish.
  • Erm, who is she?
    :lol:

I have never heard of her, don't find it insulting as such, but I do think its more a case of think before you speak.. and the DM of course with their wonderful wit and sarcasm twisting things.....

I enjoyed being a slob and spending time with my kids for the first few months after the birth, would prefer that to having to get skinny v v v v vquickly again just to 'go to work'

xx
  • I find this article very opinionated. As a mommy of twins I did not manage a natural delivery and also could not bf past the first few days.

I believe that all mothers should look after their own children for the first 6 months and not have nannys but Im not going to ram that down her throat. The fact that I didnt bf has not affected my bond with my children and does not make me a bad mum. I would question whether having someone else raise your child and just being there for the nice bits is actually being a good mom. I would like to know how many night feeds she did!!!
  • She def lives in her own little bubble doesn't she, she needs to take her head out of her a**e!

I tried for 3 weeks to bf my son who has a tongue tie, i was holding out for an app to have it clipped as feeding was painful & stressfull & in the end i just couldn't do it!
  • I cant believe a woman would be so stupid and judgemental of others, i would have given my right arm to BF both my daughters but couldnt with either and it devestated me to the point where i got sevear PND with dd1. stupid cow should have thought before opening her clearly thick mouth!
  • silly cow!!! My little girl had a bad tongue tie and couldnt latch on!!! I have continued to express for her but dont think I will have the will to do it till she is 6 months!!!!! what would she suggest I did!!!!
  • Whilst I think she was too blunt with her wording (perhaps due to translation?), I really admire her forthrightness and pro-bf'g stance. Her opinions are strong and unapologetic and I like that.
    I agree with her that bf is best for six months, that a lot of women treat their bodies as 'garbage disposals' when pregnant (I certainly ate way more than I should), and that labour is hard and its best to go into it prepared.
    People may not like what she says but you cannot deny that she is right!! She is just very tactless, and hasn't taken into consideration those who cannot bf or have had other complications.
    I was more offended by Denise Van Outen's words, saying she stopped bf'g after 3 weeks so she could buy starbucks coffees without worrying about being photographed nursing her child. I pity her putting her vanity and insecurities ahead of her child's welfare.

I agree with you Katels, i think her opinions are right but she could have employed more tact! I don't agree that there should be a law but i do think that there should be alot more support in hospitals and alot more funding for promoting bf for those that want to try it. I got lots of support in hospital and bf is received very postively in my area which has alot to do with how comfortable i am about bfing. I am one of the lucky ones, i wish other councils would do more for new mums.