Forum home Babies Baby

Article re family parking (also in BIJ)

Morning ladies

I posted a good old rant a while ago regarding fdamily parking spaces and the abuse that these are subject to.

This morning I have found the following article on the daily mail website:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1310009/Family-parking-bays-cause-fury-mothers-shoppers-unfairly-hog-spaces.html

I have posted a comment as the article is innacurate in the fact that it says tesco fine for misuse when in fact they don't.

It makes interesting reading I think.

Kay x

Replies

• I've not read the article (can't stand the Daily Mail :lolimage but thought I'd let people know that in Sainsbury's, parents with young children can now park in disabled bays and vice versa! I was quite surprised, but it seems to work well in our branch...

• Hi everyone, if you'd like to post any comments about m&b parking in supermarkets don't forget to add them to our Save Our Spaces campaign here: http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/5815
    As you can see we've had over 23,000 views, but it's the comments that count as we plan to confront the supermarket bosses with our users views to get some action! Thanks for your support, Web Ed
  • i have commented, i cant believe how many pig headed selfish people read that paper, thats the reason the world is in the state it is in, no one gives a crap about anyone but themselves!!
  • I've not read the article (can't stand the Daily Mail :lolimage but thought I'd let people know that in Sainsbury's, parents with young children can now park in disabled bays and vice versa! I was quite surprised, but it seems to work well in our branch...

x

SERIOUSLY? That is so irresponsible of them. M&B spaces are a nice perk, but for disabled people, not being able to find a suitable space (because they're filled up with mums and babies who quite honestly could cope in a normal space) might mean having to turn around and go home.

We have a disabled badge for my daughter, and we do utilise it if we have to, but will park in M&B spaces if there are some free.

Having children in tow is not a disability. I'm really surprised at Sainsbury's.
  • Sites like the tabloid newspapers are a breeding ground for trolls. Honestly, don't let them get to you they'll only get a kick out of it. We all know there are selfish idiots out there, don't invite them in by responding to their ridiculous outbursts.

Liz x
  • i dont think they are allowed by law to let people who are not disabled in a space specifiaclly for someone with a disability??? i know the law recently changed so that disabled people can park in parent and baby but luckily where we live there are always loads of free disabled
  • Some of the comments are unreal. It's not until you've attempted getting a car seat out of a car with no room at all that you appreciate these spaces. However I do think that there is no need for them to be so close to the shop doors. If they were further back we would still have the extra room and no one else would want to use them as they'd have to walk further.
  • Wow I only read afewcomments, I will get too mad if I continue! The reason the spaes are wider surely is to allow us to get car seats out/ put prams up without scratching others cars!? It is probably safer to be closer to shop with small children, however, I completely agree with Laura it is the space that is essential!!! If we daaged these peoples cars because we did't have eough room, they would be the first to complain!!!!
  • SERIOUSLY? That is so irresponsible of them. M&B spaces are a nice perk, but for disabled people, not being able to find a suitable space (because they're filled up with mums and babies who quite honestly could cope in a normal space) might mean having to turn around and go home

I was surprised too! There have always been disabled spaces free when I have shopped there (there are 4 long rows' worth). If there are no M&B spaces, I just use a normal space - I have a disabled relative and know how frustrating it can be when there are no spaces.

Last week when we were in a service station and had to use a normal space, we ended up accidentally scratching the car next to ours trying to get the car seat back in. It was a brand new BMW and the owner (a man in his 50s) was standing right next to us! He was so kind (could clearly see we were struggling) and refused to let us pay for the damage. So there are some lovely people out there after all - they just don't leave comments on the DM website :lol:
  • Some of the comments are unreal. It's not until you've attempted getting a car seat out of a car with no room at all that you appreciate these spaces. However I do think that there is no need for them to be so close to the shop doors. If they were further back we would still have the extra room and no one else would want to use them as they'd have to walk further.

I haven't read the article because I know it will wind me up! I totally agree there is no need for them to be near the entrance and I actually emailed my local asda branch saying that yesterday.

At our branch there is an under cover section at one end of the car park furthest away from the entrance (not a big car park so not miles away) and I suggested they should move parent and child spaces there. It would stop people abusing it because they are not near the door, stop everyone getting wet in the rain when they are putting the shopping, baby, pushchair etc back in the car and there is a walkway all the way round it and to the store so it's safer for toddlers because they won't have to walk across the carpark.

I know I will be totally ignored but it made me feel better after seeing loads of people parking in the parent and child spaces with teenagers etc. I can Never find a space in the parent and child and find it pretty annoying to be honest because I see it being abused so often.

I do stand by what I said months ago though that heavily pregnant women should be allowed to park in them too, got pretty much battered for saying that when I was pregnant.

I find it wrong that they allow people to park in disabled spaces, I was told this by a car park attendant in a multistory in Leeds a while back after he had to help me down some stairs. I would never do it!
  • I'll join in and have a mini-rant if I can. It amazes me that people abuse the M&B spaces. I never parked in one before I had my baby and only ever use them, if I have my baby with me and will be getting him out of the car. It's the only way I can go shopping. I have a huge car and if I have to park in a normal space, there is no way I can get him out of the car and that's with leaving the seat intact. Unless of course I can get an end park, which I now look for wherever I go!

The solution, which others have picked up on, is to move it away from the supermarket doors and I guarantee the problem will be solved.

Shouldn't there be an upper age limit, so people don't carry on using them when their children are old, don't use a car seat and are as able as an adult to get out of the car and walk.

As for disabled badge holders, while I sympathise with those having real disabilities, some people do abuse these as well and it really irritates me to see a person who has a badge get out of the car normally and then walk off at a normal pace WTF!

Rant over xx
  • Did anyone hear the debate on Radio 2 this afternoon?
    One of the women (who was a mother herself) said something along the lines of mothers are one of the biggest groups of overweight people in the UK and it disgusts her to see chubby legs peeping out of people carriers in the P&C parking spaces to stock up on sweets and pizza's! I was outraged!!
    It should have been an intelligent debate but she just couldn't see the point.
    I felt like phoning in and complaining! How very Britishimage

xx
  • I think lawso hit the nail on the head. The spaces are alled 'Parent and Child' with no age limits on them. I have had so many arguments about this, people parking with no kids or they have teenagers in the car! The problem is, they argue that they arewith their children - which the space states.
    Regarding disabled bays, I also have a blue badge, because of my arthritis. Some days I find it hard to walk and these spaces are fantastic. Very clsoe to the store, meaning I don't have far to hobble.

• As for disabled badge holders, while I sympathise with those having real disabilities, some people do abuse these as well and it really irritates me to see a person who has a badge get out of the car normally and then walk off at a normal pace WTF!

The only way you can get a blue badge is either to be awarded the Mobility element of Disability Living Allowance, or to apply to your council outlining the details of your disability, which are then checked with your medical care providers. Having been through these processes, I assure you that neither are easy, and anyone who holds a blue badge has a very 'real' disability.

Just because you see somebody walk away from their car "at a normal pace" doesn't mean they aren't affected by a disability. My badge is for my daughter, who might well get out of the car and scamper off into the store looking perfectly normal, for which you would no doubt lambast me for 'abusing' the space. What you don't see is her after five minutes suddenly getting pain in her over-tight muscles and unable to walk, or tired out after walking around the supermarket with me (she's too big for the child seats in the trolley now) and limping back to the car, falling over every three paces, or me having to carry her, plus push the trolley with my 4 month old in it, because she is so tired or in so much pain that she can't walk any further.

Disabilities affect people in different ways, and if someone has a blue badge, it's because they need it. Please don't think that you have even a fraction of the information you'd need to judge if they are worthy of one.
  • I'll start by saying that I myself have had a rant or two about people misusing parent and toddler/baby/child spaces.

I find comments like "As for disabled badge holders, while I sympathise with those having real disabilities, some people do abuse these as well and it really irritates me to see a person who has a badge get out of the car normally and then walk off at a normal pace WTF!" quite shocking! As Maenad points out, you can't always see a disability. My Mum is disabled, and often looks well from a distance. But she can't walk far, so does need to to be parked closer to a store. I know the hoops you have to jump through to get a badge, and although she would be more than entitled to one, it's a lot of hassle for us to get one.

I have been speaking to my sister about this, she is a manager for Asda. She said that when she works in a store, she deals with at least 5 complaints per day from angry Mums.

Now, disabled spaces are a neccesity by law, something to do with the disabled persons act. Imagine if a disabled person couldn't do their shopping? Not a nice situation.

Parent and child/baby/toddler spaces are a gesture of goodwill. Yes, it's annoying when you see them misused, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really that bad? If I see this happen, I just call them a gobsh!te (under my breath), and move on. I either park at the back of the car park where I know there are tons of spaces, or shop when it's quiet. If you are not happy with the way a store handles it's car park, then shop elsewhere! Don't give them your money image
  • While I don't want to fuel the debate, I just want to add that when I made the statement about some people abusing the disabled badge scheme, I was talking about my father! He has had a badge for years, probably 20 years or more. Yes, he has arthritis, receives Disabled Living Allowance and "qualifies" but he is also fit enough to park in a normal space and walk around the shops for 8 hours. Didn't mean to cause offence to those with real disabilities but I stand by my original statement, the scheme is often abused.

Our supermarket car park isn't big enough and is always full, so parking at the far end isn't an option for us, we just have to sit and wait for either a M&B space or hope an end one becomes available xx
  • I'd love to know how big your car is. I drive a Mondeo estate which is roughly the size of a yacht, and on several occassions when all M&B and disabled spaces were full, have managed to park in a normal space and get a baby and a 4 year old with a splint on her leg out, without causing damage. I wasn't *easy* but it was doable.
  • Iawso, im def in agreement. My father is the same. he is perfectly able to go into B&Q and carry out heavy items to his car in the disabled spot, legally parked with his blue badge. Also including my cousin who has a blue badge, yet was perfectly able to go windsurfing for a weekend last week, his arthritis is mainly bad in winter. Of course there are millions of people who actually deserve badges but there are also some that dont,
  • Regarding disabled badges- my sisters freind parked in a disabled spot and put her blue badge up..my sister said 'what the hells wrong with you' and she said she has a skin condition!!...no necaserily something that warrants a disabled space if you ask me!! X
  • I use to manage ok when i just had my dd so i would park in normal spaces most of the time but now i have my dd (almost 2) and ds (10 weeks) i find it a bit tricky juggling them both... i have to get dd out and make sure she is safe and not going to run off then i get ds out. Its hard to keep her close to me in a normal space as there just isnt the room!

Im not going to read the comments as im sure it will annoy me haha x