Forum home Babies Baby

Bottles for BF babies???

I am still on the quest to find a bottle that my lo will take. Ive got him to start with a cup, which he is doing great with, but he wouldnt be able to take all his feeds from it just yet. He gets too windy and wont drink enough to settle him,

My question is, can everyone tell me the bottles and what type and size of teats they use and get on with. LO is 5 months now

I ve done Avent and TT closer to nature

thanks

Gemm x

Replies

• I remember this well.... I tried soooo many bottles!

NUK bottles worked for a couple of weeks, then he started refusing them... Newborn teat size.

I weaned him off boob using MAM bottles, size 2 teats and so far so good (has been FF completely for over a month so confident he won't refuse them). Lots of people recommended MAM bottles to me, and wish I'd tried them sooner.

Good luck!
  • Yes, agree with Mam.

My LO is now 7 months and I've been back at work full time for 4 weeks now. I started off expressing but found it hard to find the time during the day so she has one or two bottles of formula during the day, sometimes some EBF as well and three normal BFs - morning, when I arrive home and before bed. I was a bit loathe to buy any more bottles when we were going through the process of finding one she liked, we already had just about every make there is in our kitchen, so I ended up buying just teats to try and found that the Mam teats not only were accepted quickly and easily but also fit the Avent bottles perfectly. I heard stories of leaks when you put the two together but I haven't found it leaks at all.

Funnily enough we also had the accepting then refusing on NUK bottles...

Hope that helps
    mrs_ed
  • My LO will only drink from Medela bottles - no idea why!
    I think someone else's LO was the same too.

xxx
  • thanks coco25, maybe try the mam ones next. Its a pity ive got rid of all my avent stuff (had tons). I sold it all when i got the TT bottles and steriliser, which he now refuses as well.

Anyone tried the playtex? My sister used to swear by them for her daughter but that was 15 years ago and im not sure if they are still the same.

• oh dont i posted a similar post to this about a month ago and my lo will still not take a bottle image ive tried avent, tt ctn, mam, nuk, breastflow and no joy with any of them.

coco can i ask how did you get you lo to eventually do it, did you just totally refuse breast and just give the bottle, if so was there a lot of crying etc invovled, how long did this go on for etc etc, I love bfing but dont want to do it forever lol

thanks xx
  • DD would only take MAM. DS will take TT closer to nature, ore breastflow, nothing else! TT and Breastflow are both cheap at TKMaxx if you can find one with stock.
  • oh dont i posted a similar post to this about a month ago and my lo will still not take a bottle image ive tried avent, tt ctn, mam, nuk, breastflow and no joy with any of them.

coco can i ask how did you get you lo to eventually do it, did you just totally refuse breast and just give the bottle, if so was there a lot of crying etc invovled, how long did this go on for etc etc, I love bfing but dont want to do it forever lol

thanks xx[/quote

I just gave up trying basically! And then when I tried again, a couple of months later, he just suddenly seemed perfectly happy with them. No tears at all. I WISH I could give you some tips, but it was nothing I did - Sam just decided bottles were ok after all.... Good luck - I know it's stressful. xxx
  • ive done TT, i got a whole kit with bottles/steriliser and a million other things (all currently on ebay). He did take it a couple of times with lots of crying and we kind of pushed in the top to make the teat shorter.

Im the same as you moonbeam, i love bf and want to continue till he is maybe a year or so but it would be nice to be able to get out of the house for more than 3 hours without worrying. We have a wedding soon and if i cant get him to feed from elsewhere, i wont be able to go!!

Gemm x
  • COCO THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY IN A WAY YOU GIVE ME HOPE THAT HE MAY DO THE SAME LOL

GEMM I HEAR YA I HAD A WEDDING WHEN HE WAS 11 WEEKS AND ONLY STAYED FOR 3 HOURS, AM A BIT OF A PRISONER TO THE BOOB LOL XX
  • I like the prisoner to the boob!!!n lol. I wouldnt mind if it was an evening thing. I had a dancing show last week in the evening and it was fine, i fed before i went, took him with me and fed him at the interval!!! Prob is, its an all day invite so we will be away about 1pm and it wont finish till midnight or so. We were going to stay over there but i will either have to not go, take my expresser and hope, get the baby brought over to me, or ask nicely if they mind a baby at the wedding. None are really appealing!!!

• mmm tough one personally if it was my wedding i wouldn't mind at all if you brought the baby, how well do you know the bride or groom??? At the end of the day if your wee bubs is declining the bottle package for milk what canyou do its not like you being awkward and its not like your requiring seating arrangements (sp?) etc or an extra meal to be provided?? at least if baby is htere you dont have worry of them going hungry etc, im assuming you'll not be drinking any way so it wouldn't affect that?? hope you get something sorted and if i get a eureka moment i'll be sure to let you know lol xx
  • I dont know the couple, ive met the bride once, the guy works with my oh. He is good friends with oh and ive met him a few times but i wouldnt say we are close!! I would prob have a fair few sherry's if baby was not there, but thats not too much of a prob. I do have a glass of wine every now and then and still feed, (following the guidlines) so i would have a couple spread over the day and night.

Ive emailed someone on ebay that sells the playtex bottles. My sister swore by them for her bf awkward baby. The girl has been fab, she is going to send me a bottle and teat free to try and if it works then i will order more from her. Im also going to get a mam, and nuk to try too.

Fingers crossed, i will keep you posted in BF forum!

Gemm x
  • MAM Ultivent bottles! i dont know what i would of done without them!!!

i tried her with a bottle at 4 months and she point blank refused, so tried again at 6months with these new bottles and woohoo! image now she is fully formula fed!
  • We found NUK bottles a godsend after Flynn really struggled with his Tommee Tippee bottles
  • WOOhooo, i got a Platex botle today and expressed a couple of oz and...............................he took it NO BOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippeeeeee

Will try again tomorrow in case he changes his mink but he just smiled at me and drank it all!!

A Happy Gemm x
  • That's really good news, I might have to order one myself as DD won't take a bottle either.
  • omg gemm you are s**ting me!! where did you get the bottle if you dont mind me asking was it the playtax one???

well done you mrs xx
  • did you get the vent flow or use the disposable system and which teats did you go for silicone or the brown lol lol thanks again xx
  • Hee Hee moonbean, are you impressed??? Its a playtex one with a latex teat. I got it on ebay from a shop called baby-bottle (www.baby-bottle.co.uk). They were fab, i emailed back and forward asking about them and they actually sent me one free of charge to try. Im happy to post their name coz were very helpfull.

They have a latex teat and a drop in liner thing that you put the milk in and then chuck it. My sister used these bottles and although they have changed a bit, they certainly worked today for lo. I def think it was the latex teat that made the difference as its really soft for him, and he def have a good latch on it!!

Going to express a full feed tomorrow and give it a go!! Wedding, here i come!!!

Gemm x
  • lol fab news for you for hte wedding am going to order these now and will get the latex teat same as you xx thanks gem, fingers crossed xx