Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Soooooooo Ashamed - nits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I can't believe my little boy has nits!!!!!!!! I know its something you shouldn't be ashamed of and most kids get them but ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Shea got them just before christmas from nursery, there seems to be one child there who constantly has them and the parents aren't treating his head!!
so I had to go to chemist and buy some Lyclear before xmas and I've done his head every 7 days since (costing me a small fortune) but he still keeps itching his little head and combed through last night and got more out still!!!
So i've now gone and bought the new Headrin 1 hour gel to do tonight. Even i've got them now!!!!

Trouble is I can't afford to keep paying ??18!! a bottle everytime he goes to nursery!!! has anyone else had this problem or know how to finally stop the cycle?? I comb everynight too........

come back the nit nurses imageimage

Replies

• so no support, advice or condolances then?? 10 views and no replies - I'm beginning to feel like a leper imageimage
  • I'm afraid to say I know exactly how you feel!!!! A few yrs ago when ds1 started school he got them, and passed them to ds2 who was about 2 at the time. I FREAKED out too - was screaming down the phone to hubby lol.

They can be hard to get rid of - he just kept being re-infected - the school was sending letters home and everything! It turned out that it was a girl with long hair (lovely hair!) whose mum just didn't realise she had them! So she just kept on infecting the whole class :roll:

Anyway, we got rid in the end. The best thing is conditioner and a nit comb. I gave up with chemicals in the end - they just kept coming back. Persistence is the key - every night, loads of conditioner on the hair, comb through. The nits life cycle is about 3 weeks, so keep it up at least that long.

After that, maybe do it once or twice a week, that should stop any reinfection. And tea tree oil shampoo is meant to be good as a deterrent.

Mx

• awww i'll reply to you!
    nits are a real fear of mine im lucky that neither of mine have had them yet, but now phoebe is at school im sure she will get them soon. i always tie her hair up for school to lesson that chances but its not really possibale to do that for a boy.

i remember when my sister who is now 16 was at primary school theer was one boy who always had them and his parents never did any thing about them so he would jsut reinfest the rest of the class as soon as their parents got them clear.

i havent got any real advice other than use lots of nice thick conditioner and comb his hair through every night with the nit comb until he has been clear for a good few days.

all kids will get them at some point so its nothing to be ashamed of, good luck with getting rid of the little blighters.

xxxx
  • use teatree (sp?) conditioner...nits struggle to cling on to conditioned hair and they HATE teatree...not sure if u can use it on LO's though? i'm sure it's natural stuff? sorry can't be much help? lol x
  • thanks girls, I was just imagining everyone reading this post and going "gross"!!!

I know what you mean by the chemical mimms, I don't like the thought of all those on his head, so will persist with the combing

xx
  • I cannot count how many times I had nits as a child - tens of times! I was never allowed to go to school without my ponytail in a plait because as soon as I wore it loose, I would get them! My mum would use all the chemical shampoos on my head, do the whole combing thing for weeks, and I'd finally be clear. And then someone else would pass them round again and it would all start again! My mum was beside herself, and it was really awful having the nasty smelling chemicals (they used to smell like perm lotion!) on my head what seemed likke every month or so. I never minded the combing bit because I have always enjoyed someone combing my hair or doing hairstyles for me (I am such a girlie ...)!

I dread the day when lo comes home and starts scratching. But I know it will come - there is nothing you can do about it. Its just unfortunate that Shea has caught them already and passed them to you. But really, there is nothing to be ashamed about and you are doing the responsible thing. I hope the other parents whose children have them are doing the same.

Good luck x
  • use teatree (sp?) conditioner...nits struggle to cling on to conditioned hair and they HATE teatree...not sure if u can use it on LO's though? i'm sure it's natural stuff? sorry can't be much help? lol x

this is really good advice, they get immune to the chemicals in the other stuff.
    xx
  • Nothing to ba ashamed of love. We managed to get two children through nursery without getting them but my eldest got them from school at the beginning of December, and we have been trying to get rid of them since!! Wet combing with conditioner does seem to work really well, you just need to make sure you keep doing it.
    We all used the Hedrin gel at the weekend, and hopefully that might get rid of them for now, but be warned, it is really hard to wash out, we looked like the greasiest family in the world, and its taken another two washes to get anything like normal looking hair on any of us!!
    Good Luck!!

XXX
  • thanks for the advice about headrin FourXone, ill bear that in mind tonight when i'm washing it off

better to have greasy looking hair to nits I suppose!!!

off to look for some teatree shampoo too.............

xx
  • dont be ashamed wait till he hits school, omg my 6 year old has had them countless amountless of times, i say teatree too, n i combed his hair with nit comb every night just to check. Hes been back at school a day by next week i reckon he'll have them again xx dont worry hun xx
  • I had them a couple of times as a child. I think every child has had them at some point. They're nothing to be ashamed of!! The special shampoos are a rip off as they become immune to them. Get some tea tree conditioner and just keep combing with a good nit comb & a paper towel underneath while ur combing, to scrape the comb on....It's not very practical with a toddler but it gets rid of the eggs too whereas the shampoos only kill the lice...Have you informed nursery, they might send a letter out to parents advising how to treat nits properly.
  • Hi,
    Just to say I'm a teacher and I've had them! Was soooo embarrassed and had hubby going through me hair for weeks if not months after, as soon as I felt the slightest itch or saw something white in my hair!
    We always ask parents to tell us so we can put a note out to get others to check too. Now with a little one I would want to know so I can attempt to protect him or at least have stuff in just incase! So I agree with ymgm about letting the nursery know too.
    It's one of those things that everyone has at some point and is nowt to be ashamed of at all.
    In fact I'm sure nits only like clean, fresh lovely hair-that's what I kept telling myself anyway!
  • ok I have had them from schools too! I THINK that you can get the lotion FREE on prescription - please try and find out before you break the bank!!!

Hope it eases for you both SOON!
  • I may be talking nonsense and you may not be able to now but when I was younger my Mum used to get nit stuff from the dr on prescription...she had 4 children+herself to treat as we all got it once one of us had it so it was expensive otherwise. Maybe worth going to dr or HV?Nothing to be ashamed of tho hun as like Mum to 1 says nits like clean hair! image
  • I may be talking nonsense and you may not be able to now but when I was younger my Mum used to get nit stuff from the dr on prescription...she had 4 children+herself to treat as we all got it once one of us had it so it was expensive otherwise. Maybe worth going to dr or HV?Nothing to be ashamed of tho hun as like Mum to 1 says nits like clean hair! image
  • My friend swears by the nitty gritty nit comb (tesco sell it)brill and tea tree they dont like that and this
    http://www.vosene.co.uk/products/kids-3-in-1-shampoo
    and of course combing through with conditioner hope this helps we are lucky they are going round the nursery at the moment but Lexie hasnt got them yet...
  • unfortunatly the doctors won't give lice repellent on prescription. maybe if they did then we wouldn't have this issue as its obviously expensive and some people can't afford it, therefore spreading it for the rest of us.

Just to let you all know I ordered some Escenti Tea Tree repellent Shampoo on line yesterday ??1.98 bottle and it arrived this morning so now gonna use that regularly
  • Gah, nits are horrid aren't they?! Most people get them at some point, I'm a teaching assistant and got them last year so know exactly how you feel! You can get the treatments on prescription from the docs or free from the chemist if your docs operates the Pharmacy First scheme.
  • That shampoo sounds good Claire. If it's any good let me know as I might order some to keep in the cupboard and use every so often.

We have managed to avoid nits 3 times now as other children a childminder have had it and no idea how we escaped. Won't be so lucky next time. S x
  • They're definitely nothing to be ashamed of. As others have mentioned nits only like clean hair so it's rubbish that they come from dirty people. They're unfortunately one of those things everyone has to go through. My mum used to get the nit comb out once a week for the 5 of us as a safety measure. We occasionally had the treatments but frequent combing and keeping the hair silky is just as effective so there's no point wasting your money. Although tea tree is a good tip I'll be noting down for the future. I'd like to keep O's hair long so I'm sure we'll be having the nit battle often in this house :lol: