Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 08

Bottle to cup.

I know this topic has been done to death but can anyone recommend a decent cup. Abby will drink about 2oz of milk out of any of the 1000 cups I have but then refuses more. She is still thirsty though and will finish drinking from a bottle. Am I setting myself up here again? Should I just say "Tough, have it in the cup or nothing"?

Anyway the cups I use are:

Nuby cup - the valve doesn't seem to work properly and as Abby sucks the whole thing turns inwards and she gets sick of it. Plus how is this different to sucking from a bottle? And I can't get it clean!

TT First Cup - has drunk water from this for months and will drink milk but only a tiny bit before putting it down.

Cow cup - the valve is awful, she can't get anything out. If I remove the valve the teat is so big that she seems to find it uncomfortable in her mouth.

TT? - I have some strange TT bottle/cup that has a valve style sucking thing. I got it free with something ages ago. Anyway Abby can't get anything out of it. I've tried, it's really hard!

What are other people using or what have you tried that is awful so that I don't buy more c**p?

Thanks,
H xx

Replies

• The doidy cup! Rachel will happily take 5oz of milk at lunchtime from this, which she wouldn't from anything else, and after only a week of using it is now doing it without guidance from me, and next to no spillage. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Hannah xx
  • dd has the tt free flow cup and loves it

• 2 more possible options - avent spouts (you can use them on the bottles or buy cups with them on) seem to work pretty well - I've also removed the valve so they are free flow when we were struggling with sucking.
    Other one is the TT explorer which again have a valve. I wanted to stick with the free flow, but DH gets really fed up when he leaves them upside down having walked around with it (we don't make him sit down at snack times).

I found initally he struggled with all valves, but we just kept trying and he did then get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Doidy cups can be good - depends on how you want to use them as they are basically just a cup with an angle.
  • Still really happy with the Tesco My Toddler 3 handled cup. It's a silicone teat so not disimilar to a bottle teat, and really easy for baby to hold. It has my vote after trying many a different cup with Skye, and once giving up the dummy is mastered then we are going for the bottle / cup next!
  • Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Abby will drink water from her Doidy cup but I don't fancy her having her bedtime milk from this as she is ready for bed and sitting on our bed to have it - disaster seems certain. image

The Amadeus one is used by a friend of mine for afternoon milk but her daughter takes all afternoon to drink 5oz and just sips from it on and off. I really want Abby to see milk as a proper snack/meal in that she must sit down and have it in one go. No offence to anyone - sorry.

I love the look of those sipper lids for the First cup. Might get some of them.

H xx
  • leigh, ive got that 360 degree thingy (along with all the other cups and beakers under the sun!) maddox can sip out of it no problem, he has the junior one with no handles, didnt know there was even one with handles! he holds it no probs and it prob stops hin from jiggling it around so much! he doesnt drink milk out of it tho, but thats another story : ) and just maddox being fussy : ) x
  • I just don't think Juliet seems ready. I really am trying it during the daytime but she barely seems interested. Today, out of interest, I moved the milk into a bottle (after she'd pretty much refused it from her tommy tippee little cup with hard spout...dunno what it's called) and she took pretty much the lot. I don't want to push her but I do worry about her teeth. I'm just going to be mega patient with it as I can see this taking 6 months or so!!!!
  • hey, does anyone use those kind of sport drinks bottles that have a straw instead of a cup? just tried theo's milk in that today and it's the first time he's drunk any milk (like still only about an oz or 2, but he only does about 3 or 4 out of a bottle anyway!) so was thinking about changing to that before cups, but don't know if that makes any sense or is just as bad for his teeth??? i also don't know whether i need to worry that much about his teeth and bottles as he only has 2 bottles a day and only drinks about 6 oz of milk in total! (i am a bit worried about that but use about 5 or 6 oz in his cereal and then more in cooking etc). kate x
  • hey, does anyone use those kind of sport drinks bottles that have a straw instead of a cup? just tried theo's milk in that today and it's the first time he's drunk any milk (like still only about an oz or 2, but he only does about 3 or 4 out of a bottle anyway!) so was thinking about changing to that before cups, but don't know if that makes any sense or is just as bad for his teeth??? i also don't know whether i need to worry that much about his teeth and bottles as he only has 2 bottles a day and only drinks about 6 oz of milk in total! (i am a bit worried about that but use about 5 or 6 oz in his cereal and then more in cooking etc). kate x