Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

can cycles improve after a mc?

morning ladies! bit of a random one but can anyone help?

I came off the pill in April 09 and had three cycles (130 days, 50 days and 47 days) before I got my BFP. Even though my cycles were really long (grrr) I felt like I was starting to get my head round what my body was doing, hence the BFP, but after my mc, one of my biggest fears is that my body will be mucked up again and it'll be like coming off the pill and I'll be waiting months for my cycles to sort into any kind of pattern!

Now, I was speaking to a friend about my mc the other day and she said that sometimes pregnancy can improve cycles (length and regularity -is that a word?) because the pregnancy helps kickstart all the right hormones. She might have just been saying this to be supportive, and I might just be grasping at straws but has anyone else heard or experienced this?

lb xx

Replies

• I had PCOS before I managed to conceive my 1st lo (now 2). After pg I went back to normal cycles, so I agree that pg can help kick start your hormones back to normal.

I had an ERPC on 9th January and was still showing as pg on tests a couple of weeks ago (on CBD I was 2-3 weeks pg)! I took one this morning which showed negative so I'm hoping hormones going to go back to normal now. I have been having lots of CM this past week so not sure if OV or just hormones playing tricks on me. My hair keeps going really greasy too even after just washing it so I know my hormones are crazy (I had this when pg with 1st lo in 1st trimester).

I have read Af can return in a range of 4-8 weeks after an ERPC. Not sure if you had natural mc or not.

After all that rambling your friend could be right as it happens after pg, but I'm not sure after a mc, although all the same hormones would have been working for a while. Let's hope we get our AF's soon eh?!

Good luck xx
  • mine did. I came off pill after 12yrs on it. had cycle 28days later, but then 3month gap with no pg and no AF, then cycles from 28ish anything up to 50. got pg after 8months. MC'd at 8 weeks. then 1st AF after MC was 33days later. had 2 more cycles around 30days. then got bfp month after last AF. Hope it works out that way for you. Good luck.
    Gxx
  • thanks for the replies! I know everyone is different, but it is really encouraging to hear of cycles settling down.

ccbmommy - I had a natural mc, and I was lucky that the bleeding didn't last too long and my hcg levels dropped fairly quickly, so I'm hoping that my body won't have been too disrupted (if you know what I mean!?)

gemgems - congrats on your BFP and I hope baby enjoyed its first holiday!
  • thanx hun. my MC was natural too, so hope your experience is similar.
  • I hope this is the case as I was very iiregular before my BFP. I had been on the pill for 10 years when I came off in 2008. Since then I have a slightly shorter cycle (ranging 30-37 days) and then a longer cycle (ranging 46-76 days) would love to be more regular! I have my CBFM to thank for our BFP too and will turn it on after AF turns up. Going blind this month with opks!

I had a mmc and had to have a erpc anyone else like me??
  • Hi - before my lo was born (he is now 21 months) my cycles were v irregular - could be 8 weeks between AFs some months, then 4 weeks the next. I had tests but they couldn't find any reason for that. Since he was born my cycles became much more regular at about 5 weeks each time. I had a mc in Nov and my first AF took 6 weeks but I am currently on CD2 of my 2nd cycle post-mc and this time only had to wait 4 weeks so yes, I think it can definitely help to regulate your cycles.
  • Hi - before my lo was born (he is now 21 months) my cycles were v irregular - could be 8 weeks between AFs some months, then 4 weeks the next. I had tests but they couldn't find any reason for that. Since he was born my cycles became much more regular at about 5 weeks each time. I had a mc in Nov and my first AF took 6 weeks but I am currently on CD2 of my 2nd cycle post-mc and this time only had to wait 4 weeks so yes, I think it can definitely help to regulate your cycles.
  • The erpc didn't make my cycles any more regular (I was pretty regular already though), but my periods are alot lighter now and only last about 5 days, whereas before they were 7. I also don;t have any period pains at all any more, which is fine by me as when I was a teenager they were excruciating and I would faint on a regular basis!
  • I've heard that post pg your af can be better from friends & family.

Before we conceived our 1st pg my cycles were all over the place, I came off depo exactly a year before we conceived.

After that mmc it took a while for my 1st Af but they settled into a routine of 32 days (much shorter than before)& after another 3 mc later they still go back to 32 days.

xx
  • thanks again for your replies ladies - they make me feel more hopeful about ttc again.

As for fainting from period pains, I'm sure you're glad to see the back of that m&s!? if men even knew what we go through.......!