Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

How long off work?

Hi Girls,

Just curious how long you had / are having off work?

Was work a welcome distraction?

Did any of you feel you went back too soon?

I'm not sure what to do?

Thanks x

Replies

• Hiya,

I had an ERPC yesterday. On Friday, when I was booked in for it, I asked if I could go back to work the same day! The lady obviously said no. I have taken this week off.

I am self-employed, so that is what makes me hate having time off.

I fainted yesterday when I got discharged and tried to leave. My husband said to take it as a sign that I need to slow down and relax.

I will go back to work Monday. I hate work but hopefully will be left alone a bit.

xxx
  • hi Fairythalia,

im so sorry for your loss.

I think everyones different with what they need off - some people need to go back to work to keep their minds off things and some people prefer to wait a bit. I think it also depends on what you do, and what your colleagues are like.

I mc at the end of Nov at 17 weeks, and I had 2 and a half weeks off. when i returned everyone at work so surprised I was back and was expecting me to have longer off. but I personally was ready to go back to work, and was getting bored and was thinking too much at home.

its totally up to you hun,

x x x
  • Hi FT,

I had my ectopic pregnancy in September and I had 3 weeks off of work.

I was in pain and couldn't have gone back sooner. By the end I really wanted to go back and when I did I was absolutely exhausted but that's because i'd had 2 injections of cancer drugs x x
  • MrsJB - just seen that you fainted yesterday - hope you're feeling ok now hun x
  • I had my D&C on a Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday. I am a very busy person who does not deal well without something to do so it was the best thing for me. Everyone seemed very surprised I went back it helped me to get through the next week!
  • Hello

I think it varies from person to person. After my ERPC it took me a week to get back to some kind of physical normality but the doctor had signed me off for 2 weeks and said this was routine. I went back a couple of mornings before my certificate ran out to ease back into work as I was very emotional (also worked in the hospital where it all happened which was hard...)

Take care of yourself and take as much time as you need x
  • Purple Bubbles, I am fine now thanks, think it was more a shock for DH! xx
  • I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through fairythalia.

I had the weds, thurs and fri off work, but then had the weekend before I went back in. I found being at home meant there was nothing to distract me from my thoughts and that I actually felt much better at work, with people around me. I didn't tell anyone at work, which i think was a good thing, as with no one asking how I was made it easier to hold it together. I have had a couple of wobbly moments at work, but think I would have been worse at home. But like the others have said, everyone is different, and take all the time that you need.

lb x
  • I'm going to play it by ear I think.

I've given work a provisional date that I aim to be back, but have said that I may need more time.

MrsJB glad you're ok. PB: 17 weeks is so far gone, you're so amazingly brave, ditto to all the ladies who've had multiple mc's too, massive respect and love xxxxx
  • i had a week off but for me it wasn't enough...4 weeks later i'm starting to suffer emotionally and think i may have bottled up too much and done things too soon...take ur time and go back when u feel ready x
  • Hi Fairy- I'm really sorry to hear of your loss.

I had about 3 days when i first found out and then went back the day after the ERPC.

Looking back, it was too soon, but felt right at the time....ended up really needing a week of a couple of months after.

Do what's right for you and take care.

Emma x
  • Hi,

I had my D&C on a Friday, and went back to work on the Monday. Physically, I didn't find it traumatic at all, and mentally the two weeks before had been so much worse (one early inconclusive scan followed by another the week after, then having to wait yet another week before they were positive that the foetus had stopped growing), so by the time I went to hospital for the op I had pretty much got my head round what was going on and it was almost a relief to be getting it over with - if you see what I mean. The only thing I did do was have a couple of days off the gym.... I think if it hadn't have been the weekend I probably would have gone back to work the next day. However, that was only just over two weeks ago, so like others have said I guess there's still time for it to hit me all over again, I hope not!

I think the best thing to do is just be honest to yourself about how you're feeling, and don't force yourself back if you're struggling - whether it's physically or emotionally.

Good luck xxx
  • Hi,

I really sorry for your loss. I had 2 1/2 weeks off and that was right for me. I eased myself back into work with a couple of 1/2 days. I'm now doing my 1st full week and I am very glad I did not go back sooner.
    Like the others have said it differs from person to person. I was happy pottering at home, I had lots to keep me busy with sorting out this and that.
    Take all the time you need. Don't feel you have to go back sooner than you need to or can't go back cause it's too soon.
    xx
  • Fairy, i'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I took 10 days off work, i think it was enough for me. I wasn't physically ready to go back before then. I felt really tired after the ERPC and its taken ages to get some energy back. I've been back at work for just over a week now, and its been ok, although i've been in tears a few times this week.
    Take all the time you need to feel ready to go back- i was keen to get back quickly, but had to accept that i wasn't up to it! You just have to do whats right for you. Take care xx
  • It is so hard to know isn't it, I had the same question going round my head.

I was off from the Tues to the following Thurs but in that time school was closed for 3 snow days so I only had 4 working days off really, not long but being back at work took my mind off things and I felt stronger being around people who cared. I am a teacher and it is hard to be down when you are with kids all day, they certainly make time fly.

My advice would be take all the time you need, there is no hard and fast rule hun,
    Take care of yourself xxx
  • I had an early mc in December, but it was over Christmas and I didn't need any procedures so I was off work anyway with the hols and was fine to go back when work re-opened. However I lost my son at 27 weeks in Sept and got forced onto maternity leave, I went back to work 4 weeks after my son was born as I couldn't handle being stuck at home. I could have been off for the entire length of my mat leave (9 months) but i couldn't handle being on mat leave without a baby!! It all depends on how you are emotonally more than anything, my first week back was hard but it got easier!! Hope you're feeling better soon xx