Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Wed 3 Feb Start4Life baby health webchat

Join the Start4Life campaign's Professor Mary Rudolf to talk all things baby - from newborn feeding, to development, weaning, health and toddlerhood. Prof Rudolf will be joining us between 12-1pm on Wed 3 Feb, so get ready to post your questions on how to give your baby the best start in life. Web Ed

[Modified by: bxwebmaster on 03 February 2010 13:44:47 ]

Replies

• Hello
    I am posting this early as I'm not sure if its info she would have to hand or would need to bring but following the Panorama programme the other day, I wondered if they may post info / link to the reccommended daily allowances for nutrients for babies and toddlers?
    Thks
  • My lo is 10 months old and starting to show signs that he may become a fussy eater. I find it incredibly difficult not to get stressed about it as he's following the 9th centile so his weight is something that plays on my mind.

How should i handle this? I don't want it to develop into a big problem. If he doesn't eat what i've offered (and i know that its something he likes) should i just take it away or try him with something else. Some days i end up preparing him 3 different meals just to try and get him to eat although when he's in a 'fussy' mood he refuses them all. I just feel that i have to try my best to get him to eat something.

I sometimes offer him a biscuit after all else has failed, which he'll nibble on but i know this is probably a very bad habit to start. I just hate putting him to bed on an empty tummy (although he does have a full breastfeed before bed)

Thankyou
  • Hi, I don't know whether you will be able to help with this but at the moment, anything is worth a try.

My son is 14 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. Over the last 2 or so weeks he has started to feed approximately every 3 hours (prior to this, he was feeding around every hour and a half or 2 hours). He has never slept particularly well, usually 4 hours is the maximum stretch he will have at night time and from the first time he wakes, the amount he sleeps until he next wakes decreases e.g. last feed at 6.30, wake at 10.30, then at 1am, then 3.30am, then 5am and then will not really settle but may doze on and off in his cot.

However, for the last week, he has been waking for a feed atleast every 3 hours and I am absolutely exhausted. He feeds for 5 minutes, has a nappy change and then feeds for another 5 minutes (which is similar to how he feeds in the day). I have tried to offer him more but he refuses to take anymore. He has a really good bedtime routine and is always asleep for 7pm, he self settles and has a dummy when he first goes down (he doesn't really need or want it but have been giving it to him as recommended by cot death research). There has been the odd occassion that he has slept for 6 hours, had a feed and then gone and slept for another 5 hours so I know he is capable of it.

He is a big boy, last week (at 13 weeks) he weighed 15lb 10oz but I don't feel as though he is ready for introducing any solids as he is still young and he does love his boobie milk. I am just sick to death of people telling me to 'top him up' with formula as I really don't want to do this. I have also tried 'dreamfeeding' at 10pm with a bottle of expressed breastmilk but he refuses to take milk from a bottle.

Sorry this is so drawn out, I just wanted to give you as much detail as possible in the hope you may have some useful tips. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks Jo
  • Welcome to today's Start4Life webchat. Professor Mary Rudolph will be here shortly to answer your baby queries. It looks as though it is going to be popular so for a better chance of having your question answered start posting now... thanx Web Ed
  • Hello, Professor Mary Rudolf here. Looking forward to answering your questions.......
  • Thank you for your question p. bob.
    There should be nothing to worry about if your baby is growing in line with the 9th centile - that's a healthy weight gain.

It's very common for babies to start to be particular about the food they like at around 10 months. It's a really hard balance between being responsive to likes and encouraging him to eat the foods that you would like him to eat. While respecting that he may not like something, do remember that babies often need to be offered new foods 10 or even 15 times before they will take to them. I wouldn't worry about him going to bed on just a breastfeed, it's more important to have him developing healthy eating patterns, so don't feel you have to give him a biscuit if he doesn't feel hungry or want foods.
  • Dear Honeyboo, I hope I can help.

You are doing the best thing for your baby by breastfeeding him. It sounds like it hasn't been easy but you're doing very well. It's very common for healthy babies to wake frequently at this age, it does not neccesarily mean (as I think you realise) that he's hungry. I agree completley with you that he's much too young to start solid foods and as he is growing so well, your breast milk is clearly giving him everything he needs at this stage (so don't start formula). It is very common for babies to start to wake more frequenty at this age.

It sounds like you might benefit from hands-on guidance on how to manage his waking through the night. Then once he sleeps through, you're energy levels will pick up.

Have you talked to your health visitor specifically about the night waking? They are often helpful at guiding you through a process called 'controlled crying'. Another source of support for breastfeeding is the National Breastfeeding Helpline - 0300 100 0212. Keep with you - you're doing a great job.

[Modified by: bxwebmaster on February 03, 2010 03:42 PM]

• Hi Professor Rudolf

What would you say is the right bmi to have a baby? I am over weight and pregnant. My BMI is around 29-30. As it was unplanned I didn't get the chance to lose any weight first. Now I am worried that my child will be over weight as well and will always have weight problems. Should I try to lose weight whilst pregnant or will that be dangerous for my baby? Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

• Hi Prof Im very confused about when to start weaning my LO. He's four months, and a healthy weight, but he seems more hungry than usual. He's on formula, but I wanted to know when I could start to introduce stuff like baby rice. Lots of friends seem to think that between four and five months is fine? If he's hungry isn't it OK to start weaning now? Thanks Ali
  • My baby is 3 months and I think constipated. She is breastfed but I am small breasted and do not produce an awful lot of milk and so top her up occasionally which seems to be working for us. However I have been trying to give her water for the constipation but she is not interested at all and will only take my breast or the bottle if it is formula. What can I do to help her I can see she is uncomfortable.
  • Dear Alaina,

I understand that you're worried that you're child may develop a weight problem later in life, but there's lots that you can do in their first 2 years to prevent that from happening.

First of all, do your best to breastfeed your baby for as long as you can - even breastfeeding for a few months can help to protect them from later obesity.

Secondly, avoid starting solid foods early (before 6 months) as this can cause a baby to gain too much weight. When your baby is ready to eat, make sure you offer them healthy foods, without sugar and salt.

My other suggestions relate to getting your baby into a pattern of healthy living. We know that children and even adult lifestyle habits have their routes in their early years.

Try to have regular family meal times and encourage your child to eat at set times rather than graze. Make sure there are plenty of opportunities for active play. Lastly, try to ensure you limit TV watching as too much TV is linked to children becoming overweight.

I am sure that these issues seem a long way off to you now, but bearing them in mind will help you get these things right from the start.

As for your own weight during pregnancy, I suggest that you speak to your GP.

[Modified by: bxwebmaster on February 03, 2010 03:46 PM]

• Dear Ali,

I agree that there's often confusion about when it's best to start solids foods. The recommendations are very clear - that it's best to wait until your baby is 6 months old as younger babies are not mature enough to digest solid foods. Also, starting solid foods early on can be linked to becoming overweight later in life

Babies at 4 months are often more hungry as growth can be rapid at this age, however breastmilk or formula should satisfy him (although he may want more). So, do hold off with that baby rice!

[Modified by: bxwebmaster on February 03, 2010 03:47 PM]

• Hi Professor Rudolf,

Are you still answering questions?

My lo is ten months old and since before christmas has constantly had coughs and colds, twice being given anitbiotics from the doc because his cough went flemmy.

As soon as he gets over one cold, he gets another, consequently I'm currently getting lots of colds too. What can I do to keep him healthy? I know babies do generally get lots of colds but he's been constantly ill for two months now, I need a break!

Thanks,

Caroline and Zachary.
  • Dear little-el,

Constipation is a common concern in young babies. Let me start by saying that the size of a mother's breasts is not linked to how much milk they can produce so don't worry that you don't have the capacity to breastfeed.

It is very common for breastfed babies to poo only once every few days. The breastmik is so perfect that it is all digested! So, if she is not in discomfort and manages to pass the poo easily, there is probably nothing to worry about at all. If the poo is hard or she is distressed by it, do go and see you doctor. In any event, keep up the fluids in whichever way you can give them.

[Modified by: bxwebmaster on February 03, 2010 03:49 PM]

• Thank you for joining us in the chat today. Lots of questions often come up in the first two years of your baby's life. In addition to the help and support of your health visitor, Start4Life can help provide answers to a lot of these questions. Visit www.nhs.uk/start4life
  • Thank you to everyone involved in today's webchat and for Professor Rudolf's informative answers. Unfortunately we have run out of time so please do not post any more questions.

For further baby advice and for more information about the Start4life campaign, visit www.nhs.uk/Start4Life.