Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

New with some questions!

Hello everyone!
I hope it's okay to jump right in. I've just signed up, but have been lurking reading some of the boards for a few weeks!
My husband and I have decided we want to TTC, it's all very exciting but it also all seems quite confusing right now! I have a few questions that I'm wondering if any of you can answer for me?

I want to check that I am ovulating - I do have periods but I am underweight and it is not usual for me to have periods at this weight (I have had an eating disorder and my weight has gone up and down, but my period has usually stopped and started at a higher weight than I'm at now). My husband said that it's possible to have a period but not to ovulate, so I want to check that I am actually ovulating. I'm aware you can test this, but not sure of what's best to do/buy....does anyone have any recommendations?

Is it a good idea for me to be taking folic acid starting from now?

What is the best/easiest way for me to track my fertile days? I have some knowledge of it being mid-cycle, but I've not kept a record of my periods over the past year or so, so it's hard to know when my dates are! I am quite regular, and will start writing dates down from my next period...is this the best I can do?

Thank you in advance! I hope to get to know some of you soon image

Emmy x :\)

Replies

• Hi and welcome!
    Your body does several things that tell you you're OVing, Your basal (resting) body temperature will raise just after ovulation-you can get special digital thermometers to track this from places like Boots.

Cervical mucus will change as well around OV, becoming more clear and stretchy, like egg white (known as EWCM on here). Your cervix also gets higher and softer the more fertile you are.

Best way to track your cycle is to use OPK's (ovulation predictor kits) which tell you when you're about to OV, I use cheap ones from a website called home health which seem to work for me!

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • Thanks Plumduff! And hello... I'm a fellow YAYW-er!
    That info does help. I'll take a look in Boots and on the website. It all seems very confusing but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it! It's all the new abbreviations that are confusing me most!
  • It seems confusing because it is confusing lol! You just kind of pick it up as you go along.

Meant to say as well around OV your sex drive goes up!