Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Didn't realise how much I DIDN'T know about getting pregnant

Hiya,

I had the implant out on sat and had UPSI for the first time yesterday and plan to continue to actively TTC, but I have realised I actually know NOTHING!

Sorry if I sound so stupid but if I was lucky enough to get pregnant yesterday (which I know is very unlikely and I am just using it as an example) but how soon would I know from having UPSI if I was pregnant?

Also I have just been to the supermarket and I was looking at Ovulation kits and I have no idea how they work?????

Also me and OH were discussing whether or not there are positions that are better than others???

Anyway I will stop rambling on now!

thanks for reading xxx

Replies

• hi broodykate! congratulations on starting ttc! don't worry you'll learn quickly on here!
    basically you can only get pregnant if you have sex around your ovulation time (which is about 14 days before your next period starts so if you have regular cycles you should be able to figure it out roughly) really you should wait til your period is due to test so you can find out if you're pregnant about 2 weeks after bding (thoguh some people on here have tested early and got bfps so it can happen!)
    i use ovulation tests and its basically like a pregnancy test (ie you pee on it!) and if you test each day then it will tell you when you're about to ovulate and therefore you can make sure you're bding ant the right time! (it really is beyond me how anyone ever gets pregnant its so complicated!)
    as for positions i don't really know apart from obviously helps if you're lying down so theres no.... erm... leakage!
    hope this helps, if you have any questions everyone on here is really friendly so don't hesitate to ask!
    xxxx
  • hi broodykate! congratulations on starting ttc! don't worry you'll learn quickly on here!
    basically you can only get pregnant if you have sex around your ovulation time (which is about 14 days before your next period starts so if you have regular cycles you should be able to figure it out roughly) really you should wait til your period is due to test so you can find out if you're pregnant about 2 weeks after bding (thoguh some people on here have tested early and got bfps so it can happen!)
    i use ovulation tests and its basically like a pregnancy test (ie you pee on it!) and if you test each day then it will tell you when you're about to ovulate and therefore you can make sure you're bding ant the right time! (it really is beyond me how anyone ever gets pregnant its so complicated!)
    as for positions i don't really know apart from obviously helps if you're lying down so theres no.... erm... leakage!
    hope this helps, if you have any questions everyone on here is really friendly so don't hesitate to ask!
    xxxx
  • Awww, glad you've decided to start TTC hon! What about Peter Kay though?!

I've just bought my first lot of OPKs as well! I got ones that were pee in a cup and dip instead of poas as they were a lot cheaper but you seem to be only able to get them over the internet. Saying that I ordered mine yesterday morning and they came today!!
    Website was www.homehealth-uk.com - sell all sorts of things!

And C&C is right about lying down! Supposedly if you want a boy you have to do doggie...no idea where I read that though!

Good luck with TTC and ENJOY!! Baby dust xxx
  • Haha, just read your post in planning ref your oh! Bless him he's really getting into it now, isn't he?! Take it he doesn't mind putting the wedding on hold then?

Aww, knew he'd come round quickly! xxx
  • Thanks for the replies and the advice image

No he doesnt mind, I think I put on another thread somewhere, we have been looking into whirlwind weddings (i.e. book in under 12 weeks) we started planning a wedding previously but had to postpone and we never set a new date but I do have my dress, shoes, veil etc, and we have our wedding rings, so we wouldnt have all that hassle its just finding the money as something always comes up, for example I got a flat tyre last week that was ??55 pound to replace, and then we had a service on Fri which has ended up costing us ??416 image

I just want it all lol xx
  • Ouch! You've got me worried now; my car is goingi n for a service next monday, hope it doesn't cost that much!!

If you already have the main bits though you might as well do it - you might not be the same size after having a baby so your dress might not fit (hopefully you will be alright but you never know) so its the perfect excuse to get married before you get too big in the bump!!

Awwww, babies and weddings!!! Just want to give you a big hug and dance around in excitement! Hell, might dance around anyway!!

xxxx
  • woohoooo!! cyber space celebrations!! yipeeeeee!!

Im struggling to find a cheap venue though? unless my expectations are just too high???

Do you mind me asking what your wedding was like?? xxxx
  • Mine was quite big as dh has a huge family. But we kept it as simple as possible; registry office (but a very posh one in Maidstone, Kent, not sure where you are in the country!) and then a hotel for the food.

TBH I didn't care what it was like; just went with the flow. My mam kept on at me to double check everything was booked & everything was in place & I told her so long as my fiance and the registrar turned up I didn't care about the rest, lol!

You could always do something low key and then have a blessing later on when you have little ones running round as well. Thats what we wanted to do but it escalated!!
    Where abouts do you live? I've lived all over the country so might know of somewhere!
    xx
  • Sounds lovely, I want something simple too - if there is such a thing these days, as soon as you mention the word wedding everyone goes wild lol

I'm right on the border of derbyshire, notts and south yorkshire! so you would think I would find somewhere wouldnt you lol

Have a couple of ideas in mind, theres a nice golf course local to me that does meals and evening discos, however we cant find anywhere to actually get married lol

I suggested church but OH against it as we never go (which i see his point) and the registry office near us is horrible image its located right nr the market, so pics would have market stalls in the background and car parks!, and im not keen lol xxx
  • Sorry that is really rude of me. You might not want to say where you live, so please just ignore that. I wasn't thinking!

It is hard to find somewhere that fits a budget though, especially if you're TTC at the same time! It tends to be the food side of things that cost the most; perhaps a relative could lay something on instead? Or go for a buffet style meal somewhere (we did that) which was cheaper than a formal set menu.
    xx
  • Oh thats a beautiful area - I used to live in Yorkshire (on the dales) when I was much younger!

You have a lot to chose from area wise though! You don;t have to get married at the nearest registry office though; our one was horrible as well, on a main road with no outside space other than the car park with views over the road into the building site!! So we went further afield for it and found a gorgeous one elsewhere. But you can still do everything you need to at your local one beforehand (signing to say you are actually allowed to marry (the banns or something its called) instead of having to travel to the one you've picked). Thats what we did.

The hotel we used was a golf course so was really scenic and beautiful, so sounds like a good option hon!
    xxxx
  • Thanks Kel,

Im sure something will work out and dont worry I didn't think you were rude at all!

Im just watching one born every minute....

Me and OH had UPSI before just incase it put us off (sorry if TMI !!) XXX
  • Not TMI at all hon - we have some very frank and open conversations round here! lol.

Wanted to watch that but lo is having a bad night so no tv, no music...all silence tonight...was recording it but power keeps cutting out so lost that me thinks!!

Are you anywhere near Doncaster? Have a vague recollection of being at my cousin's wedding at the registry office there and was lovely - set in beautiful gardens...you might be miles away though!

xxx
  • Aw bless LO hope he's Okay? I bet you will be able to watch it over the internet!

I didnt actually realise it was a series, its on again next week!

Im not too far from Doncaster, will have to have a look, my mum said sheff is quite nice too, as you can have pics outside next to the fountains, but not seen it for myself

xxx
  • Oooh yes, Sheffield! Never thought of that - its beautiful there, really old style building with huge fountains. MUCH better than Doncaster!

Aww, get married there! hehe.

I'll try and watch it over net and if not will just have to watch the other episodes. LO has 3 teeth cutting so is just in pain and restless. Hubby is away and keeps txtin me to check he's ok - we've just put him in a big bed and dh is worried about him! Bless!

xx
  • Oh that would be gorgeous! I guess it would depend when you wanted to do it and how booked up they are. Wow, that would be wonderful wouldn't it? Wonder if they have a hall they can put you in if it rains? Some places do offer an inside space if weather is bad but no idea if they would or what it would be like...worth a look though!

xx
  • ooo the register office does look nice... what do you think....

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/tourist-information/visitor-attractions/heritage/town-hall/townhallroomsforprivatefunctions

Bless your LO I hope he feels better soon, and how sweet of your OH xxx
  • Oh that looks so lovely hon; tell your oh you have to get married there, lol! Oh wouldn't it be perfect to have a wedding and a BFP at the same time?! So excited for you!
    You might have to go take a look; at least then you will know what your money will get as well. Although the price seems good from what I remember of ours.

Lo is alright, just unsettled from those teeth and a busy day at playgroup! He settled back off himself again (I'm very lucky with how good he is! Just hope next one is the same!)
    xx
  • I've emailed them.... ooo i'm naughty! Will def keep you updated on the situation image Im on one now, looking a bridesmaid dresses the lot, oh poor OH how does he put with me, I can be so high maintenance at times lol xxx