Forum home Babies Baby

Opinions please ladies-Your Baby Can Read

http://www.yourbabycan.co.uk/default.aspx

I saw this on teleshopping early hours of this morning its called your baby can read and I was quite impressed but although they say its fun for children good for them to learn early do you think its too much too soon? im quite tempted to buy it as i've always wanted the best start for everything with my children, as we all do. and education is a big thing my husband and i really want our children to do well in or to know we've done our best in helping our children to do there best i dont expect them to be A* students or anything and i wouldnt push if they didnt like but just wondered what you thought of this x
also if you go on you tube theres several videos on it on there x

Replies

• I think it looks pretty good. My dad taught me to read very young and insisted that I read an article from the paper to him when I was 2 years old every night, I know it sounds like it was strict but it wasnt I loved it and because of it I have grown up with a real love of reading and I read books constantly.
  • I'm going to give the opposite perspective. I was a 'slow' reader. I was in remedial reading classes until I was six and remedial writing classes for a year or two after that. My parents didn't teach me to read before I started school, but they are both big readers and I was brought up in a house full of books and was read to from the day I was born.

After those first couple of years, I became an avid reader and highly academic, to the extent that I have a PhD and am a professional writer and editor. I still read as much as I can, both professionally and for pleasure, and I still love being read to (although mainly audiobooks these days.)

Personally, I am less worried about teaching Peter to read very young than to bring him up surrounded by books and with a love of them which will, hopefully, transfer into a love of reading. I'm not sure that that can be taught by any programme, but that is just a personal opinion.
  • Two of my friends have this and think it is fantastic!

In fact I ordered the deluxe set BNIB off eBay yesterday. The seller still has some if you search (he has them listed for ??95) but he accepted my offer of ??86.

So, I can't speak from experience yet but thought it worth a go! My mum taught me to read and I could do so quite well from a young age and wanted the same, if possible, for my DD who is 5 months today!

Em xx
  • I'm with you THG! I'm a Primary School teacher and I really am all for children being able to read, but the most important thing is that they develop a love for books - all books!

Furthermore, we met this guy at the Baby Show last year and when we asked him (hubby also teaches, but A level Psychology) about the basis for his scheme and why it was better than doing it yourself, he most certainly did not impress me with his answer.

I will teach Daisy to read, and I hope that she can read relatively well by the time she starts school, but I'll be doing it my own way (which will be a hell of a lot cheaper than that!)..

Good to hear everyone's opinions though!
    C xx
  • Agree with Mrs Buttons - it seems very expensive - when there are free methods to teaching yr child to read. I could read before school - my parents sat with me lots and we wld read books together. I also knew my 2 times table at the age of 2 1/2 (parrot fashion lol).

xxx
  • Hi there, I'm a primary school teacher with an early years specialsim and am definitely in the 'foster a LOVE of books' camp. There are some children who are just good 'mechanical' readers which can seem impressive at first, but by the end of key stage one they tend to stall and other children catch up with them anyway. They can lack expression and understanding of what they are reading. Obv this is a massive generalisation but just a little something to bear in mind before spending all that money! I'd take that dosh down to Watersones and spend it on some gorgeous books, God I love it in there!

Helen x
  • I saw the end of the infomercial thingy one morning, how is it any different to just looking at flash cards and pictures with your baby? I think it seems like an awful lot of money!

I'm very keen on reading with Jak, I could read very early and it definitely gave me an advantage. But my parents just played with me and let me look at flash cards of words - I used to put them all out on the floor and make pictures with them! :lol:
  • Save your money hon, I'm with THG too. In some European countries (partic Scandinavia) they don't even start teaching their children to read until they are 6 - and those children go onto to be better readers than UK children (taught at 4 or earlier).

In our house we try to show a love of books as both me and my husband love reading and are v academic - but we don't force it on our pre-schoolers.

I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with early reading - some children seem to pick it up so early and love it - just that it is not the early intro to reading which is important. It is a love of reading and books in a family environment which is important.
    xx
  • Save your money hon, I'm with THG too. In some European countries (partic Scandinavia) they don't even start teaching their children to read until they are 6 - and those children go onto to be better readers than UK children (taught at 4 or earlier).

In our house we try to show a love of books as both me and my husband love reading and are v academic - but we don't force it on our pre-schoolers.

I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with early reading - some children seem to pick it up so early and love it - just that it is not the early intro to reading which is important. It is a love of reading and books in a family environment which is important.
    xx