Forum home Babies Baby

Hi! How Early?

Hi, I joined trhe site when I was pregnant, but haven't been onit since having my little girl last year in January.

She was born ealy, at 28 weeks exactly and was in NICU for 9 weeks. It was an awful and traumatic time, and its only now, a year later, I look back and think it feels like it was all a dream as she is now happy and healthy and has caught up (size wise) to other 1 year old babies.

I suppose I just wanted to offer my support to other mums who are going through this as I know I never felt as slone as I did when Livvi was born. Friends and family didn't seem to get it at all so I wanted to say if there is anyone out there that has any questions about anything, weaning, sleeping, medications, procedures etc, please feel free to ask me and I will try my best to answer honestly.

By the way, Liv is now 13 months, is crawling and weighs about 23lbs! She has come a long way from the tiny 2lb 11oz baby I was holding a year ago! xx

Replies

• Hi Nikki Ann
    23lb? well done Livvi
    my little girl Emily was born at 26 weeks weighing 1lb 15oz, and has just turned 3. not sure exactly what weight she is but in november last year she was 26lb. she is still only in 12-18 month trousers and
    18-24mo tops
    that is so good that Livvi has caught up.
    Emily started crawling at 13 months, cruising at 14 months and was walking at 16 months
  • Hi Lauren. I know, she has come on so well, but is also quite tall, you wouldn't know to look at her anymore that she was so early!
    She is in 9-12mths and 12-18mths clothes. I remeber when she was born I looked at 0-3 month clothes and thought they lookde massive and she would never be big enough for them!
    Is Emily your only child? x
  • i know what you mean. i have kept some of Emily's preemie clothes (up to 3lb) and they are so tiny! have put them on her baby doll.
    yes emily is my only child. after she was born i said i would never have any more but i might think about it in a few years. maybe when she starts school? not sure as i don't want to risk having another prem baby. how about you?
  • Liv is my first, but I would like another one next year, when she is about 2 1/2. I have kept all her baby clothes just in case! After she was born I said I would never have any more (I originally wanted 4) and now I am back to wanting 4 again! Lol!
    Did Emily have any complications? x
  • she wasn't too bad. was in hospital for 16 weeks. she has chronic lung disease and came home on oxygen and was on it at night until she was 1 and a half.
    she catches colds really easily and has been in hospital back on oxygen 4 times. she is currently on a steroid inhaler and she had all the usual reflux and colic problems but she is good now. a little behind with her development but nothing drastic.
    we have been really lucky as i know babies who were born at a later gestation who have had much worse problems
    Livvi sounds like she is doing really well. that is good it has not put you off having more

[Modified by: LaurenM on February 16, 2010 02:00 PM]

• I feel the same, that we have been very lucky with Livvi, she has ezcema, and suffered from silent reflux and had to have lots of vitamin supplements etc, but she is catching up (size wise at least). She was only in for 9 weeks, had a couple of blood transfusions, a PDA, a small brain haemorrage but was only on CPAP for a day and then was breathing on her own. I am just thankful it wasn't worse.
    There is no reason why we should have another prem baby, they don;t know why Liv was early, so I am nervous, but hopeful.
    What about you? Did you have a reason? x
  • I feel the same, that we have been very lucky with Livvi, she has ezcema, and suffered from silent reflux and had to have lots of vitamin supplements etc, but she is catching up (size wise at least). She was only in for 9 weeks, had a couple of blood transfusions, a PDA, a small brain haemorrage but was only on CPAP for a day and then was breathing on her own. I am just thankful it wasn't worse.
    There is no reason why we should have another prem baby, they don;t know why Liv was early, so I am nervous, but hopeful.
    What about you? Did you have a reason? x
  • only on cpap for a day? that is brilliant. Ems was on for about 10 weeks
    i had a incompetent cervix, where the cervix opens too soon. so i think it would be quite likely to happen again. they can stitch your cervix closed early on but it doesn't always work. luckily i had time for the steroid injections before she was born. not sure i could go through all that again when i have emily too:\?