Forum home Babies Baby

Fetal bowel obstruction

G/C from pregnancy & due in april

Hi all - just after some advice if anyone's been in this situation.
I had a private 3D scan at 29+5 and the sonographer identified some prominent loops of bowel and said that i should talk to my NHS consultant about it and that it should be checked at my 32 week scan (i've got to have a growth scan as i've developed gestational diabetes).

Anyway, my appt with the consultant is next week - I'm just wondering what i should ask/what i should prepare myself for. I googled some stuff (probably not the best of ideas) and have found out that my little one may need an operation when he's born to clear it but that it could also mean that he has other problems.

As my appt gets closer, i'm feeling more anxious about it and i just wondered if anyone else had been through the same and could tell me about their experience/suggest what questions i may need to ask.

At the moment, the questions i've thought of are:
- is it definitely a bowel obstruction?
- if so, what's the treatment?
- what are the chances of him having other problems/what's the prognosis?
- will this affect how/when i give birth?

Is there anything else i should be asking?

thanks in advance
B
x
30+5

Replies

• Please please don't google!!!!!!!!

My LO was born with a tres complex heart conditoion that affects many of her other interal organs and we googled it (after finding out at 20 wk scan) and all you hear are worst / bad case scenarios.... no-one ever writes up the positive cases so bear that in mind!!

You may find it is something easily solved or even something that may right itself by birth. My LO had malrotated intestines, which is different, but if you have any q's pls feel free to ask x
  • oh, so q's to ask......

- could it right itself by birth?
    - how closely will you be monitored from now on scan wise
    - would this / how would this affect your birth plans. if they would need to treat lo straight away, you may find you need to get your head around how your birth may not be as you had planned (ie, would they need to be taken to scbu or can they stay with you) - don't mean to sound scary as this may not apply to you hopefully but it is worth asking.
    - re whats the treatment - when would this need to be done (may not be immediate)

and i agee, this little'uns are stronger than we give them credit for so your LO will come bouncing back, whatever the treatment i'm srue x
  • oh, so q's to ask......

- could it right itself by birth?
    - how closely will you be monitored from now on scan wise
    - would this / how would this affect your birth plans. if they would need to treat lo straight away, you may find you need to get your head around how your birth may not be as you had planned (ie, would they need to be taken to scbu or can they stay with you) - don't mean to sound scary as this may not apply to you hopefully but it is worth asking.
    - re whats the treatment - when would this need to be done (may not be immediate)

and i agee, this little'uns are stronger than we give them credit for so your LO will come bouncing back, whatever the treatment i'm srue x
  • Sorry, one more thing. Following Avas op, we are on look out for bowel obstuctions too and we have been told that if she does get one, they can sometimes be resolved just via a drip so pls try not to panic until the docs give you a full picture x
  • Hi bodlondon!!
    Google can be a blessing and a curse at times!! My lo was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at two and a half weeks and I nearly gave myself a nervous breakdown reading all the outdated crap that Google threw up.
    I know it's almost impossible but try not to worry. It could (and prob will) be nothing serious (God willing!).
    I know little about bowel obstructions but as others have said if there is an obstruction it can often be resolved easily.
    If you want to chat feel free to email me.
    Hope it all goes well and that you are okay xx
  • Thanks ladies - i really appreciate it.
    I'm not looking forward to tomorrow but at least i have written down some questions and I'm taking my oh with me just in case i get upset so he can ask the questions.
    B
  • I saw the consultant this morning and he doesnt know whether its something to be concerned about or not but he has told me to ask the sonographer to look at it at my growth scan on monday so hopefully we'll know more then. Thanks again,
  • let us know how monday goes - good luck x x
  • Good luck on Monday xx
  • thanks for thinking of me wanna-bump
    The appt was good - the sonographer thinks that the mass is his gall bladder rather than a bowel obstruction, particularly as it hasn't got any bigger in the last 3 weeks. She made us another appt for another scan on 18th march so that the consultant can have a look at it but fingers crossed it was a false alarm and nothing to worry about.
    I feel very relieved and have everything crossed that all will be ok on the 18th. The good thing was that there were no other indicators on the scan - he's growing well and my amniotic fluid hasn't increased dramatically which apparently is a sign of a bowel obstruction.
    I feel hugely relieved and feel like i can relax again.
    thanks for all your advice and support
    B
  • Thank you! I'm feeling much more chilled out now!
  • Hi all

I was told at my 20wk scan that my baby might have a dilated bowel loop - the consultant had a second look and said its not something that is 'normal' and may have to be operated on once LO is born.

Like most of you I have googled all the possible resons/answers as to why this is happening!! I feel so stressed out as they have called me in for a second scan soon to see if there is any change.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

• Hello kay 19 

Pls tell me the latest condition of ur baby

I have the same problem with my baby I am 37 weeks pregnant n foetal bowel loops appear prominent 

• Hello :) I had my little girl yesturday who passed a large amount of meconium in the sac. Only found out when waters had gone  I had been having growth scan regular but didn't pick this up, & they said it was old meconium not fresh.

She didn't end up swallowing any. But they took her to be checked as soon as she was born xx hope all is ok xx

• Huge congratulations Bet124! We can't wait to hear all about it!

• How did all end up with this? I am currently 35 weeks and the sonographer reported dilated loop of bowel. Would love to hear from you 

• Had baby 5 th april she had obstruction in intestines and slight twist which wasnt picked up at any of my scans had bout 5 due meds im on and extra fluid. I do therefore wonder why it wasnt picked up but guessing maybe its not always easy to. Shes had operation now just bout increasing her feeds as she tolerates, not being sick any more. And about her putting weight on and being well enough to return toto margate

• She had blockage of intestine and malrotation not common but easily treated with an opporation. She was in hospital for bout 4 weeks first week was before op. Had to go london for op and start of recovery ith the best team nd all the professionals you need in 1 place. Shes doing great now at almost 10 weeks eating well putting on weight. Hope your little en was ok