Forum home Babies Baby

Any ideas how to get my good sleeper back?

Since my little girl (nearly 9 months) started crawling she has stopped sleeping. Yesterday she had 40 min nap in her cot in the morning and a 2 hour snooze in the afternoon in her buggy which was treally good, but she went to bed at 8 as she was dropping and then woke every half an hour till 11. She woke once in the middkle of the night and then got up at 6. Today she has had a hour this morning, only 10 mins this afternoon both in her cot and has just gone to bed. We worked really hard to teach her to settle herself and always put her to bed awake, but now she is just crawling round the cot, pulling herself up and shouting. I leave her crying and it all goes quiet so I peep in and she uis sat up in the cot sucking her thumb and then starts shouting or crying if she see's me. She even climbed out of the cot one night last week - we just heard a big bang and screaming and she was on the bedroom floor! I just dont know how to get her back to being a good sleeper, apart from sticking her to her cot with velcro. Im now rocking her till her eyes start closing and putting her in the cot half asleep and hoping for the best, but she is a big girl and its killing my back. Its driving me mad, I go back to work soon and I have a nearly 3 year old as well who is and always has been a bad sleeper. Has anyone got any advice? Thanks Jo xx

Replies

• Just to add, she has supper and I have given her a bit of calpol incase there are any teeth coming through and she is nice and warm. She has a mobile but it doesnt soothe her. She has woken once already and is crying at the moment !
  • Just to add, she has supper and I have given her a bit of calpol incase there are any teeth coming through and she is nice and warm. She has a mobile but it doesnt soothe her. She has woken once already and is crying at the moment !
  • ah sorry you and bubba are going through this - cld it be a 'developmental phase'?

This is why I am not too worried about routines - I have witnessed too many times, babies just change the routine when it is all nice and settled. They get clever and wise lol.

If you are ok with cc (I personally am not) then I wld do that rather than just leaving her to cry. Have you tried the whole going back in the room, soothing etc??

Have you tried sitting next to her cot and soothing her to sleep?

I am not sure hunny - I am useless at this stuff!! xxxx

• Woah, a quadruple post hee hee! Do you use a sleeping bag? If not, just wonder if using one would restrict her movement at all? Just a thought. Sounds like you may want to remove your mobile and any cot bumpers too so she can't vault out again! x
  • Thanks Misskittyboo. I'm not one for routine either - whatever goes, but we did teach her to self settle early on. I do use cc, I wrote that a bit wrong, I go in every few mins, but its once its all gone quiet and I peep in and she sees me it starts her off again. Maybe once it goes quiet the trick is not to go in. I've not tried sitting next to her though, a really good idea, but may not always be possible as also have to get my little boy in bed, hopefully I can change things round and be able to give it a go. I've just worked out why it is that she is waking up, she has always slept on her tummy with her thumb in her mouth and now when she is on her tummy she automatically gets up into crawling position and then sits up. I need to get working on that velcro sleepsuit. Littlerose, I kept pressing enter on my post as it was going so slow, didnt realise that it put your post on loads of times, whoops. She does have a sleeping bag, if she doesnt have it on she gets her chubby little legs stuck in the bars of the cot, and we dont have bumpers and the mobile is a light projecter that is on the oustside of the cot. I have no idea how she got out, we didnt even know she was awake as she wasn't calling for us or crying until we heard the crash. I shit myself and thought I was going to a&e but she was laughing within 2 minutes. Ive put loads of pillows around now just in case and the otherside of the cot is pushed right up against a bed. My mum said I used to always get out of my cot so she must take after me. My klittle boy didnt even move till he was one, I think she is going to run rings around me.
  • Thanks Misskittyboo. I'm not one for routine either - whatever goes, but we did teach her to self settle early on. I do use cc, I wrote that a bit wrong, I go in every few mins, but its once its all gone quiet and I peep in and she sees me it starts her off again. Maybe once it goes quiet the trick is not to go in. I've not tried sitting next to her though, a really good idea, but may not always be possible as also have to get my little boy in bed, hopefully I can change things round and be able to give it a go. I've just worked out why it is that she is waking up, she has always slept on her tummy with her thumb in her mouth and now when she is on her tummy she automatically gets up into crawling position and then sits up. I need to get working on that velcro sleepsuit. Littlerose, I kept pressing enter on my post as it was going so slow, didnt realise that it put your post on loads of times, whoops. She does have a sleeping bag, if she doesnt have it on she gets her chubby little legs stuck in the bars of the cot, and we dont have bumpers and the mobile is a light projecter that is on the oustside of the cot. I have no idea how she got out, we didnt even know she was awake as she wasn't calling for us or crying until we heard the crash. I shit myself and thought I was going to a&e but she was laughing within 2 minutes. Ive put loads of pillows around now just in case and the otherside of the cot is pushed right up against a bed. My mum said I used to always get out of my cot so she must take after me. My klittle boy didnt even move till he was one, I think she is going to run rings around me.
  • I have to do cc with my lo a lot, although he can't crawl yet so he doesn't have that problem of climbing out! He's just started to roll over though sometimes when he's trying to get to sleep, and he can't get back so he just cries. So sometimes I put a sheet over him and tuck it in the sides so he can't roll. Maybe you could try that although I don't know if it would be strong enough for a lot that can crawl!

Also, I would try not to go in once she's quiet at least for 5 or 10 minutes to give her chance to get to sleep properly. I try not to go in at all to my lo once he's quiet because sometimes the tiniest little peep from me disturbs him and wakes him then it's hell trying to get him back to sleep.
    Good luck. x
  • We went through this exact same thing with Toby when he started crawling - sorry to say but it lasted about 3-4 weeks for us! image

However, I think Toby crawling also made his silent reflux symptoms come back quite badly as we ended up getting him a prescription for ranitidine and as soon as he started taking that, he began sleeping through again. I don't think the crawling in his sleep business would have gone on as long if it hadn't been for his silent reflux.

Unfortunately a sleeping bag didn't stop Toby - he still crawled and wriggled as much.

Sorry not to help anymore but I can promise it will get better!

xxxxx