Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

BFN day 32, time to give up hope?

Hi I am new here.

I am on day 32 of my cycle and today is *roughly* 14dpo, so I tested with a Superdrug early test and got a BFN. I have irregular cycles but I think I know when I ovulated as I charted CM and had a couple of twinges, however, I can not be sure I definately ovulated then (if at all).

I felt quite hopeful (not letting myself get too hopeful though) that today there might be at least a faint line because I have had a few waves of nausea, one strong and a few mild. Other than that no symptoms at all except extremely vivid dreams.

I just want to know has any one got a BFN with a superdrug early test at 14dpo and then got a BFP after 14dpo?? I don't want to go and buy lots of tests to 'make sure' as it is so soul destroying seeing the blank space where the line should be :cry: and maybe I should just accept I'm not pregnant. But until AF I can't help still clinging on to a bit of hope...

The test is meant to be EXTRA sensetive though. So even if I was having a very long cycle a positive would show up by now wouldn't it??

Casey

Replies

• Hi Hunny - I know its hard - but the only advise I can really give is if you get a BFN - wait 3 days and do it again. Keep going like that till AF comes.

I thought I was pg last month and AF showed up on day 33, our bodies and minds play tricks on us when we want something so bad !

Could be a shy bean and too early for you to test ! Easier said then done I know (last month I was a nightmare) - but try and put it to the back of your mind for a day or 2. Test again Weds/Thurs and see : )

• Thanks Stace, it makes a big difference knowing I'm not alone.. Also, I guess I'm clutching at straws, but can someone be pregnant and just not have enough of the hormone to show up in a hpt for longer than normal? Is that what you mean by shy bean? (sorry I am new to the forum). How long can someone be pregnant for without the HCG showing up? Maybe I should stop thinking so much about it!
  • Thanks Stace, it makes a big difference knowing I'm not alone.. Also, I guess I'm clutching at straws, but can someone be pregnant and just not have enough of the hormone to show up in a hpt for longer than normal? Is that what you mean by shy bean? (sorry I am new to the forum). How long can someone be pregnant for without the HCG showing up? Maybe I should stop thinking so much about it!
  • Yeah it could be that you do not have pg hormones in your system yet? I believe it varies from person to person.

Unfortunately there is no 'normal' answer to anything as we are all different : ( It really is hard not being in control of it all ! It drives me mad that there isn't a straight black and white answer to every question ! lol !

Just try and relax and do another test in a couple of days and try not to worry xxx
  • Hi Casey
    Stace25 is right - it's the hormone HCG which the HPT's test for. If you are pg - the amounts start to double from conception to 12 weeks, then they drop off. "Normal" pg ladies have enough HCG for the tests to pick up at around 14DPO. But you could be a low hcg girly. I had a 10 day wait for AF last month and found alot of examples where BFP's had taken 5 to 10 days after 14DPO to show up. There are some rare people who only show as pg on a blood test.

So in short - try to wait as long as you can to test again, but until AF gets you - you're still in the race!

Ooh and BTW - if you go to the docs - they'll likely only do a POAS HPT until it;s been a few weeks without AF - unless you are either very determined. Check out MrsPinkPlayboy's posts - as she's onto her second missed AF poor duck

Baby dust and PMA
    CTBxx
  • Hi Casey
    I can't tell you about how long after ov that tests will pick up hcg but i'll tell you what happened me this month.
    I thought I ov on fri 5th (i say think as i have irregular cycles thanks to PCOS and recent m/c). But the signs were there. I did have some more signs the following wed but thought little of it. Anyway, I tested last fri night with a 1st response following a coule of days of feeling tired and nauseous, and got a very faint BFP. Then got some SD tests on sat but when i used one it only had the faintest of faint lines- like 'could have been imagining it' faint. Was gutted til hubby went out and got me another 1st response and when i did it- it was a BFP with a darker line.
    So, the point of my ramble is a) could you have ov later than you thought given your cycle is irregular and b) SD early are sensitive but not as sensitive as FR- if i had tested with SD only I would still be thinking i wasn't pregnant.
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you hon!