Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

When can I test?

Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilema because me and oh had sex without protection on saturday but he pulled out JUST before he came. We're not ttc yet as we get married in 3 months.

I know that you can get pregnant from using the withdrawal 'method' so I'm a little worried as we're not financially stable yet so it wouldnt be a good time.

I'm due my period around the 5th-7th March. When's the earliest I can test? How early do you get symptoms like the dragging feeling?

As you can probably tell, I'm a little scared lol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. If I am pregnant then we will definitely keep it. We will love it even if we can't afford to spoil it rotten. I don't want this post to come over too negative. I'm just a bit scared and unsure.

Replies

• Thanks soooooooooooo much for replying. I've been sitting here checking my post every few minutes haha.

I'll go and get a couple of tests and test on the 2nd and the 5th i think. The 5th is my birthday so it means that my fiance can't throw a wobbly if I am haha.

xxx
  • ((((Jessie))))

Well, as you know, the withdrawal method isn't at all reliable, so yes, there is a chance you might be pregnant.

Now, if you are due your period on the 5th-7th of March, and assuming a 14 day gap between ovulation and period, then yes, then the dates match up.

On the up side (for you, anyway) even if you have sex that coincides with ovulation, you only have a 20-20% chance of pregnancy, so you are probably not pregnant.

Regards when to test, well, first response is the quickest, allowing you to test up to 6 days in advance, but it's not 100% accurate at this point
    First Response detected hormone levels consistent with pregnancy in 62% of women 6 days before the day of missed period, in 78% of women 5 days before the day of missed period, in 87% of women 4 days before the day of missed period and in 98% of women 3 days before the day of missed period and over 99% of women 2 days before the day of missed period.

You are running a little late for an IUD as emergency contraception, but worth considering if pregnancy is really not an option right now
    http://www.fpa.org.uk/Information/Readourinformationbooklets/emergency#cWir

Good luck, and have a bit of a think about what you can do in the future to prevent yourself ending up in the same situation again.

XXX
  • Thanks Adelicia.

I know it was irresposible but we all make mistakes! We'll be happy either way (well it may take a little while to get used to the idea), we'll just have to make some major changes.
  • Oh bless you, we BD on valentiens and since then thought 'well we might already be so bugger it' but its terrifying, i'd be so happy.
    I gotta wait another 3 days ish... its torture.
    xxxx
  • Ahh Rosemary, you'll have to let me know how it goes with your test. Were you trying or just seeing whether things happen?
  • Well we decided we wanted to 'try' on valentines as its all romantic and lovely duvvy lol

I just texted hubby to get me a test to take today as i am so poorly i need something strong and the 3 days to go is on my stupid cycle which is so irratic... I have every symptom in the book so if i am i reckon it'll show today.

so scared.
  • Thanks Adelicia.

I know it was irresposible but we all make mistakes! We'll be happy either way (well it may take a little while to get used to the idea), we'll just have to make some major changes.

Sorry, hun. Just re-read my post and I think I might have come across as a little preachy.

These things happen... what makes it even more frustrating is our hormones are strongest around ovulation so we are more likely to get 'carried away' at our most fertile times!

Either way, you are very, very, very unlikely to be pregnant, so at this stage it's more of a case of waiting and testing to be certain. I know it's a hellish wait though. I remember when I had a condom snap at just the wrong moment... that was the longest 2 weeks of my life!

• Double Post.

[Modified by: Adelicia on February 24, 2010 02:57 PM]

• No worries Adelicia.

We defo did get carried away. As you say, it's rather easy when hormones take over.

Thanks for all your help.