Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Part time and planning baby number 2

Hi. Not sure if anyone has ahd any experience of this but thought I'd give it a go anyway!
I'm a teacher who has returend on a part time basis after having my 1st baby. In September I will be going back full time again (with the same employer). My husband and I are thinking about trying for baby number 2 but can only really afford it when I'm on a full time wage. As I understand you only get SMP if you have worked for your employer for 26 weeks, but does this mean I have to work 26 weeks full time to get full time maternity benefits? If I was to get pregnant now I would be finishing on a full time wage but wouldn't have worked 26 weeks full time- hope this makes sense??!!

Thanks all xx

Replies

• Hi,
    I have only just stumbled across this forum so sorry for the late reply. As I am a nurse, I work shifts therefore my pay varies according to what unsociable hours I do or don't do. Therefore, when my maternity pay was calculated, they based it upon my last 6 weeks of employment before I commenced maternity leave. I would have thought this would go the same for you, providing you are working the hours and haven't changed employers it shouldnt make a difference when you put your hours up providing it was before those last 6 weeks. However, I would imagine that increasing your hours once you have announced your pregnancy may make it difficult - or at least they may be less willing to accommodate that....

all the best

• It is taken on what you earn so many weeks before the birth, I have 15 in my head...I think it is based on what you earn 15 weeks before you are due. x
  • Thanks girls. I phoned my ht department but had no luck . They said it depends on when you handyour forms in. Not sure why they couldn't just answer all i wanted to know is how many weeks full time I need to wrk so that those first few weeks are paid accordingly!
  • It is based on the earnings you make the 12 weeks before your edd!