Forum home Babies Baby

First Foods

We started the boys on solids today. They have been ready for a little while and the dietician we see for their milk allergy suggested starting at 21 weeks (17 corrected).

We cooked 2 carrots and mixed with about 2oz of their milk (Neocate). Alfie was really keen and would have eaten the whole lot given the chance! He did have more than the recommended 2 spoons though!

This was at 12pm. Tonight he has been a little uncomfortable - not much more than normal but almost like he needed a poo, even though he had already been.

Is this normal or should I have stopped at the 2 spoons? He seemed to be crying for more so I didnt want to stop! lol. What did you do when first weaning?

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 21 weeks today xx

Replies

• When i first started Alfie on solids he would have eaten the whole bowl full. He was on 3 meals afer 3 weeks so we went really quickly all led by him but still went faster than what is recommended . He was fine with it so i didn't worry too much. I would see how he goes tomorrow and see what his poo is like tomorrow.

charlene and Alfie
    XX
  • We're doing baby-led weaning (we did wait until 26 weeks) and Wills first 'meal' was cucumber and cheese sticks! We have never restricted the amounts he eats (but thats all part of baby-led) so I assume its safe to let your boys have as much as they want to?! x
  • Personally, I'd stop him at the 2 spoonfuls at this early stage and whenever you introduce a new taste for the next couple of weeks.
    This'll give you chance to make sure his tummy can cope with it and will stop him being uncomfortable.

Once the boys are used to the solids, their tummies will be able to cope with digesting larger quantities and you can let them go for it.

At the moment, they won't associate food off a spoon as something that can make them feel full so they may not know when to stop until it's too late and they've overloaded themselves.
    It won't take them long though and you'll be amazed at how much they can put away. My girls eat more than I do in a day!

Have fun with the solids. The faces they pull are brilliant sometimes!!

xx
  • Personally, I'd stop him at the 2 spoonfuls at this early stage and whenever you introduce a new taste for the next couple of weeks.
    This'll give you chance to make sure his tummy can cope with it and will stop him being uncomfortable.

Once the boys are used to the solids, their tummies will be able to cope with digesting larger quantities and you can let them go for it.

At the moment, they won't associate food off a spoon as something that can make them feel full so they may not know when to stop until it's too late and they've overloaded themselves.

xx

I don't know if different rules apply when you wean before 26 weeks and if you wean the traditional way but Wills certainly never suffered with eating more than he could digest. We introduced a variety of different foods straight away (all in their natural state) and he was absolutely fine, I really don't believe doing one flavour at a time is necessary.

Similiar to breastfeeding, a baby is very clever at taking exactly what it needs x
  • DD started 3 weeks ago and first we started her on baby porridge but now we add natural yougurt and bananas into it and she loves it, and in the evening she gets pureed carrots and loves it. She actually says mmm when eating every spoonful and she eats the full bowl, she is almost 19 weeks.