Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

8 weeks and no heart beat, any advice??????

Hi,

We went for an 8 week scan today and they also did an internal scan, they could see the sac and foetal pole etc but no heart beat. We think we are 8 weeks and the nurse said that they can usually see a heart beat from 6 weeks so we are now worried. They have booked us back in for another scan in 2 weeks and this is when we are going to get the decision. Nurse said that they should definately see a heart beat then if it's a viable pregnancy.:roll:

Anyone experienced anything like this or got any advice?

Ta !

Replies

• Hi there, can't really offer advice, but will tell you a bit about us. According to my dates (from LMP), I'm about 11 weeks today. However, we decided to book a private dating scan 2 weeks ago and she said there was no fetal pole (altho there was a gestational and yolk sac) and that it seemed to be consistent with an earlier pregnancy, around 5.5 to 6 weeks. We were devastated, however, on going to docs, he booked us in the Early Pregnancy Unit for another scan, which we had a week later, this time there was a fetal pole, but only measuring 3mm (again consistent with an earlier pregnancy - even though we think we should be 3 weeks ahead!), now they want us to go back in 10 days, which is actually Mon next week. We are dreading it, both of us have been sooo emotional. I feel its going to be bad news, ie no growth, or growth with no heartbeart, but on the other hand we are trying to be positive too. The midwife said, if the fetal pole has grown to 6mm or beyond, with no heartbeat, then they class it as a non-viable pregnancy and I will have to have a D&C to remove it. Im scared!! bThe waiting is the worst bit, 10 days has been horrnendous, but I guess for you they can't rule out anything at the moment, hence calling you back to see if there are developments..... I wish you the best of luck. Z
  • How certain are you of the dates of your last period? and how regular is your cycle? It could be that you are less pregnant than you thought you were? I think you should try and stay positive but at the same time prepare yourself in case there is bad news.
    z- I don't know what to say to you as I am a bit of an emotional wreck at the moment. I hope everything works out for you too but having had a scan with a strong heartbeat at 7 weeks and 5 days, I just knew that I had to get another scan yesterday (I would've been 10 weeks & 1day) but there was no heartbeat (baby measured 8 1/2 weeks) and I am now waiting for it to come out. From what others have said, a D &C is probably better than waiting although with my last mc it came out the day after the scan. It doesn't feel like that will be the case this time though and I have a scan rebooked in 2 weeks if nothing has happened by then. It's just all so sad x
  • Thanks for your replies ladies.
    ZLS - I hope that everything is ok for you on Monday. I can imagine how tense you are feeling right now, I think two weeks of waiting for us is just too long, it's cruel in a way. I really do hope that you get a heart beat and you can relax a little. Just stay positive and hold onto the good signs that there has been clear progression in the growth of the fetal pole and remember that although they give you guidlines and they follow a strict protocal at the hospitals, every baby and every pregnancy is different, fingers crossed.
    arg - really sorry to hear about your situation, try and stay positive as well, it's all you can do and I wish you all the best. I'm not sure exactly far my wife is. She is 100% sure of her last period but not sure of her cycle length, we only measured it once and it was 21 days and then she fell pregnant after that so we don't know if 21 days is her regular or whether it's usually irregular.
    The next two weeks is gonna be tough for me and my wife but I hope that the little one is ok.

Thanks again and all the best !
  • what a horrible situation - i really hope that your dates are wrong nad that all is ok. The heartbeat should be apparent from 6 weeks so if your dates are 100% accurate then its unlikely that there wouldnt be a hb - however - someone with a short luteal phase (the time between ovulation and period or bfp) then this could alter dates quite dramatically.

I think it is terrible that you are being made to wait 2 weeks - it is hard enough in any case and a week really is enough.

I reallly hope that all is ok with your pregnancy nd it is a case of mistaken dates. Wether good or bad news then this is a fabulous site and there is support for you and your oh whatever the outcome.

Good luck and hugs to you both x x x
  • Hi, I just wanted to share my experience, I was what we thought about 12 weeks pregnant but the baby had only grown to 9 weeks and had no heartbeat, I was so distrught and devastated that the shock brought on my miscarriage which took 3 days from friday last week to the sunday.

I really hope that its different for you hun. prepare yourself just in case its the worst case.

• Hi. I am in a similar situation. Could someone please help??? Here's my situation. My LMP began on 1st December 2012. 2 weeks later, I had unusual brown clots, which stopped and returned 2 weeks later. I did a pregnancy test, which was positive. I went to hospital for tests. My blood tests showed my HCG levels at 8000. The internal ultrasound showed a baby measuring around 5mm. There was a small bleed visible next to the sac. The sonographer dated me at 5.5-6 weeks. This was 2 weeks more than I thought. I have PCOS so my periods are very irregular and they're very painful and heavy - the period I had on 1st December 2012 was no different to usual. Therefore, I am led to believe that my dates are correct. I returned for a second trans-vaginal ultrasound 6 weeks after the beginning of my LMP (11th Jan 2012). The sonographer said that there was no heartbeat but there had been a fraction of a milimetre of growth. I've been bleeding red fresh blood (going through around 1 sanitary towel a day with some small red stringy clots). I now have to wait 10 days to return for my 3rd scan!! What does this all mean? The nurse won't tell me much apart from that they're following guidelines. CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE! I'm going crazy not knowing what's going on.

• Hi Help wanted.

Sadly it can be any number of things happening & whilst the wait is torture it is needed for them to be able to correctly assess/determine what is happening.  Baby's heartbeat should normally appear on scan between 6-8wks into the pregnancy so if they haven't found it in an early scan they will normally advise you to return for a scan within your 'estimated' 8th week.

Bloodloss can occur for a number of reasons - low lying placenta, cervical sensitivity, overstretching of muscles/ligaments with uterus growth or the sad case of miscarriage.  Take care of yourself and rest when you can to help ease the bleeding.  Whatever happens in the next few days you can find friends/support on here.  Best wishes.

•  I am going through the same situation as daddy1982., waiting for my third scan next week and I'm hopeful.Thanks all for your encouraging words

• I just found out that I had a triplet pregnancy, but that two of the babies don't have a heart beat at 11 weeks (I had a scan a couple of weeks ago and at that time only one baby didn't have a hearbeat, which is why they sent me back again, to see that baby would develop a heart beat or not). 

My first question is shoul I have any concerns about the last baby?

I was on clomid, would this have any affect on why two of the babies didn't make it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Can you tell me what was the outcome? i went to my first us and they saw a 13 mm sac with a yolk sac and then ten days later they said my gest sac was 22mm and a 3 mm fetal pole with no heartbeat seen. I have to go back in two weeks and ammm sooo upset!!