Forum home Babies Baby

dreamfeeding does it really make a difference?

we have been dreamfeeding for a week now, before LO was going from 7-7.30 until about 3, since dreamfeeding he goes till about 4, he takes about 3oz at the dreamfeed,

have you found a gradual difference in sleep, i wonder if its worth it for one hour extra?

Replies

• Yes it made a BIG difference for us. DD would go from the 10.30pm feed taking 6/7oz's through to 7.30/8am.
    Without it she would wake at 4am for a feed.

I kept it in until last weekend (when she was 20 weeks) and she now goes 7pm - 7am.

If it's only making an hours difference then I'm not too sure, I'd possibly not bother. However if you could get more in him at that last feed then he'd go for longer (which I'm sure you'd know that :lolimage

How much does he take during the day? x
  • Made no difference for us. We did it for months, then one day decided to just see what she'd do if left and she slept til the normal 2nd feed time anyway! So we were giving her extra milk for no reason which didn't seem worth it if we want her to eventually go 12 hours without food as we'd only have to work at dropping it later on anyway.

• I've done a dreamfeed with both of mine and I'm sure it's made a difference. With Elysia we started it quite late on and she didn't start going through the night until we started it but with Sebastian we've done it from about 3 weeks old and he's now strated going though the night from about 2 weeks ago. It did take him a while though to get the hang of it. At first he just wouldn't take enough even if he was awake but now he downs between 5 and 6oz whilst still asleep.
  • Always made a big difference for us. Lo would go through much longer. He always took a full bottle at this feed. I think if they drink a lot at that time it can make a difference. If they don't take much prob won't make much of a difference x
  • thanx ladies

he takes about 6oz in the day 3-4 hourly
  • We don't actually dream feed, but James although fed on demand, does end up with a feed before midnight. He still only goes a maximum 5.5-6 hours between feeds. But he stirs a lot earlier than that, and needs time to drink the milk, and fall asleep! So dream feeding wouldn't make too much of a difference to us at the moment! xx mithical and James 8 weeks today.
  • hi i was doing a dream fed but i wouldnt call it that now, as its one of her main bottles.Lizzie has 5x 6oz bottles in 24 hours. and sleeps from 9:20 til 7am. I can only say whats worked for me and my girls but it might be worth a shot as your LO is having about the same amount of milk as Lizzie in the day. we had definate feeding times:7am, 10:30am, 2pm, 5:30pm and 9pm all being 6oz bottles and this seems to have made night times so much better.
    does your LO clear a 6oz bottle or does he only take 5oz or so?
  • it depends sometimes he can drain all 6oz every feed which makes me think i need to up it then he has days when he only takes 4/5??
  • we have always put toby to bed at 7pm and used to dreamfeed at 11pm - i cannot remember how long we did it but one of us suggested that we dropped at and pretty much since then tobyu has done 7pm - 3am 4am - 7am.

This is gradually pushing forward and wen now do 7pm - 5am (give or take an hour) then he sleeps till about 8am..

Dreamfeed really didnt work for us.

Sarah x x x
  • we have always put toby to bed at 7pm and used to dreamfeed at 11pm - i cannot remember how long we did it but one of us suggested that we dropped at and pretty much since then tobyu has done 7pm - 3am 4am - 7am.

This is gradually pushing forward and wen now do 7pm - 5am (give or take an hour) then he sleeps till about 8am..

Dreamfeed really didnt work for us.

Sarah x x x