Forum home Babies Baby

Anyone's Mother's Day not going as you'd hoped?

Ok so I am going to have a moan and it's likely to be long, I'm sorry. :roll: I'm being selfish, as this is my first Mother's Day and I would have hoped it would have been special. It's a good job my OH won't read this, as I'm about to diss him! Ok this is why I'm being selfish, long story, but OH's mum is in hospital, and lives 180 miles away. She's having tests done, and we don't know what's wrong at the moment. As far as I can tell it's not imminently life threatening! OH works nights, he's changed the hours round so he can drive up early tomorrow morning, hence will be going to work early evening today. So right now he's in bed asleep, and will be until mid afternoon. I feel bad because obviously he's worried about his mum, wants to see her, and by swapping his hours can see her tomorrow. He'd have been asleep for the day anyway if he wasn't going, but at least I would have had the evening with him. On the other hand this is my first ever Mother's Day, and I feel it's been ruined. I can never experience it again. Although I realise there will be lots more Mother's Day's to come. So basically I feel bad for feeling selfish, but I'm annoyed and upset, and needed to get it off my chest. Please tell me I'm not the only mummy that didn't get breakfast in bed, or who doesn't have a lovely day planned with their family. :cry: I did get a card and present, so I'm grateful for that at least. xx

Replies

• My hubby doesn't believe in Mother's Day! or Valentine's Day, or birthdays.... So yeah, I'm not expecting to be spoilt by him at all today - AND, it's also our 2 year wedding anniversary!!

He's at work at the minute, so I'm on my own in the house with the boys. However, my eldest son has made me the most beautiful card, and from what I can tell, he absolutely nagged and nagged his dad to buy cards aswell from both him and the baby - so I have had a few lovely cards to open. I'm not sure what time hubs will be home either, so I don't know what time to cook the Mother's day banquet thing I bought myself from M&S the other day.

I can see where you're coming from Mithical, I really can, but I think if it were the other way round, and it was Father's Day and my mum was ill, I'd probably do much the same as your hubby, although I would hope that he'll try and get up a little earlier than usual for work to spend some of it with you and your lo.

I hope your day improves babe - but if not, you will have many more to come - and believe me, they get more special as the lo's get older as they can make you things and spoil you too!
    xxx
  • Me!

My OH went out last night as it staying at his friends because we live in the country and a taxi back from town is ridiculous money. So I was upat half six and got a dirty nappy as a pressie lol!

This makes it worse though:

My mum sent me a card and a pressie for my first mothers day. And in the card she wrote 'just incase daddy didn't have the time' now, my oh IS a policeman and does struggle at valentines day and stuff for cards ect cause he always leaves everything to the last minute lol but I can't help but be slightly annoyed that my mum did this even though she was only doing it in my best interests. I feel like she's taken away an experience I should have had with oh instead and I'm sure he's seen the card and read it meaning he won't bother getting a card because my mums already done it.

At this time, mothers day is when your partner should thank you for the wonderful baby you gave him and care for. That's my opinion anyway.

However, I will say that I had a small grumble about this this morning but then my little man gave me the biggest smile and that was the best mothers day present ever! That coupled with te fact he slept all night long haha. X
  • Mine is going to be crap too.

My hubby is in China with work so im all alone.....well until 1pm that is when we have all the mums & nans coming round for lunch.

When we first planned it hubby was going to be here so I would have had help but he had to travel last minute last Monday and we just decided to go ahead and have it anyway because I have a sister and my hubbys bro is around too BUT.....

My sister has refused to come & help and hubbys bro as lovely as he is isnt going to give me the kind of help ill need (i.e baby help!) so im here all on my own on my first ever mothers day sorting the baby out, getting lunch ready for 8 people and I feel like ive been forgotten! Not one of them has recognised its my mothers day too. I know I wouldnt have got brekkie in bed from Olivia, or a dodgy card she made from school etc and I would still have had lunch to make but I just want them to realise its my day too!! My sister is turning up as a guest not as a host which she should be as its her mum & gran too!!

Grrrrrr
    xxxx
  • hi hun, maybe things would have been different if his mum was well and he could have planned a nice day and i hope this doesn't come out as rude he got you a present and card and maybe he make up for it tomorrow and no hun i am having a s**t day cos me and h2b are breaking up so not a good day for me.
  • I didn't get breakfast in bed either! He was going to but the dog threw up in the kitchen and then he burned the toast which set the smoke alarm off, woke Poppy and me up so that was that! He's also gone to Stafford for the day to run a 20 mile race in preparation for the London Marathon so I'm home alone all day with a very active toddler and a disabled dog!
    There will be plenty of other Mothers Days for you so although you feel like this one is ruined, I'm sure he'll make up for it next year and the year after and so on. You know that your hubby didn't plan for this to happen and is obviously very worried about his mum and in all honesty, wouldn't you have done the same if you were in his shoes?
    Hope your day gets better.
    xx
  • I'm going to join you on the ungrateful moan. It's not my first mother's day but even so... My husband lives 300+ miles away and I drove up to him on Friday as he'd booked today off work. We've squeezed ourselves into his tiny staff room and not slept well in order to have a nice day but so far it's gone crap! He bought me a coffee in (has to make it in the hotel kitchen so I couldn't have done it myself) and that's the only high point. He's buggered off at every opportunity leaving me with lo who's bored of this room and the toys we bought and has a bit of a temp and is recovering from a tummy bug. First he went to shower and now he's in his office working on his day off. I bought croissants to have for breakfast and they've been thrown at me, still in the packet, so I'm refusing to eat them without a plate. I've also not got a card despite us being in town for 3 hours yesterday and I bought his own mum's card and present. Grrr, is all I can say. But I know I'm being an ungrateful so and so really, he's just normally ridiculously considerate
  • Can I join the club? My hubby is off playing golf!!! He woke up early, saw it was a lovely day and asked if it was okay if he went to get some practice in. Half asleep I must have mumbled "sure".

Today there will also be grand prix and two rugby games (6 nations and a league game)!!!

My hubby is somewhat clueless! Because he isn't fussed about such days he doesn't think I am! *sigh*
  • Can I join the club? My hubby is off playing golf!!! He woke up early, saw it was a lovely day and asked if it was okay if he went to get some practice in. Half asleep I must have mumbled "sure".

Today there will also be grand prix and two rugby games (6 nations and a league game)!!!

My hubby is somewhat clueless! Because he isn't fussed about such days he doesn't think I am! *sigh*
  • Mine was a little disappointing! I got bulbs (bless, H2B thought they were flowers!) and PJ's that are about 2 sizes to big! Also, 2 mugs!! I'm not normally so ungrateful, it just all seems like last minute panic presents! At least I got something I suppose!

However, I did get a lovely dinner last night and this morning I was got homemade chocolate and rasin pancakes. LO has been very cute this morning to, so the rotten gifts don't seem so bad!

Hope everyones day gets better,xx
  • ME!

Hubby is a chef and this is his busiest day of the year so he is currently preparing to feed 153 booked people and whoever thinks it might be a good idea to turn up on Mother's Day without booking!

I got up with the boys (well, Ryan woke at 3am as he's so bunged up and ended up joining us, then Alfie woke at 5am with the same problem and also joined us!) as he needs some sleep otherwise he may come home with no fingers!

However, after lots of hinting, I did get 3 cards - yes, one from EACH baby as well as one from him - a teddy, mug and chocolates. He NEVER does anything for days like this so I am really grateful. The boys ate their breakfast this morning without being sick, screaming or spitting it back at me, and they are now fast asleep in their cot with minimal fuss while I get things ready to go and visit my mum...

...so I guess the day isnt as bad as first thought! Just wish hubby was here to share it.

Can I just say, it does make you feel better to read of other peoples problems as yours are never as bad as you think when you see what others face. I was feeling really down this morning but at least I will see hubby tonight (sorry about that Winnie, that must be awful), my family are well (sorry mythical) and me and hubby are very much in love (I hope you are ok mummy 2 angels)

I dont mean to make anyone feel bad but we can all be grateful for something.

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 22 + 6
  • Indeed we can, we all have healthy little ones to help make today lovely!
    I'm not at all ungrateful, he has to do this run otherwise his attempt at the marathon could injure him and he needs to know he is capable of running so far. I got a beautiful card (that made me cry!) and a lovely present so despite being alone with my precious daughter I'm a very happy mummy!
    xx
  • I didn't get anything for my first two mothers days from hubby as he said why should he buy for me when I wasn't his mum! My Mum always sends me a card from my boys though which is lovely of her. My hubby has finally cottoned on this year though after being told by his brother to sort it out lol! I got woken up with a cup of tea, card and present this morning and by kisses from my 2 year old and 9 month old. Much nicer way to start the day! I also got a bit of a lie in.
    Nothing else really planned though as the Grand Prix is on! Typical huh?! So I am going to give the house a clean, sort out the washing, and then plant some seeds and bulbs with my 2 year old which should be fun - and messy lol!

I am looking forward to next year as both my los will be in nursery then a few days a week so I should get something they have made which will be so lovely.

Happy Mothers Day ladies! Remember you are all fab mummies and have got the best pressies ever in your los. xx
  • I never said I didn't realise I am being unreasonable! :\( As it's my first Mother's Day, I just expected it to go differently. A know each one will be special in it's own way, and they will be even better when lo can make cards and pressies. I just can't hide my disappointment. poppygirl - I'd have got myself one of those banquet things, had I known I'd be eating on my own! :/) Princess87 - I guess your mum's heart was in the right place. My OH leaves everything to the last minute, so at least he managed a card and pressie. Winnie1981 - I completely agree your sister should be helping. I think you should rope her in as soon as she arrives! mummy 2 angels - I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I know there are much worse things going on in people's lives. I am grateful for the card and present. He won't think about making it up to me, but I'll just have to look forward to next year's. DonnaandPoppy - At least your hubby tried, bless him. I think my OH and I think in very different ways sometimes. Please don't get me wrong, I don't blame him for wanting to go see his mum. That's why I used the word selfish describing myself, and not him! jemmajem - He you OH is usually considerate, with any luck he is planning something nice for later. Hope your day improves. xx
  • I'm having quite a good day so far (2 cards and pancakes for breakfast), although Peter did think it would be fun to wake up twice last night, the first time in ages. *sigh*

But last year was another matter entirely! Peter was only a couple of weeks old and I was struggling with breastfeeding. So my abiding memories of my first mother's day involve mainly pain and exhaustion! Yes, the first one is special - but there will be so many more and happier ones, so please don't feel too bad.

Hope everyone's day picks up. At least the weather is lovely here. :\)
  • Thanks for your comments good and bad. It gets the picture out of my head, of every mummy except me, being woken up with breakfast in bed. Then having cuddles with their lo's, handmade cards and presents. Then spending the day having a lovely walk in the sunshine, a nice lunch out, and later dinner cooked for them after a leisurely afternoon at home! :/) If anyone is actually having that day, grrr get out of my moany thread! :lol: xx
  • Well, we had an argument this morning. oh refused to wake up and sort lo out, so eventually I did it. Than he woke up and was complaining he never had enough time to do anything and that his assignment was not going to be finished. (he knew when it was months ago, but only started 6 days before) So I send him off to do his assignment whilst I sorted lo, myself, our room, lo's room, cleaned the spare room, did the washing up, cleaned the kitchen, did the washing, folded the other washing and put washing away and that all whilst looking after lo. Strange that my oh never gets anything done whilst looking after lo.

So I will have a lonely mothersday. |Did I forget to mention that I had to buy my own gift yesterday and had to fit it, so he did not wrap it either. No cards, flowers or anything remotely mum thing, no breakfast in bed. He is off to his own mum later today for diner and to give her her flowers. (which I had to remind him to buy)
  • Haha mithical I completely understand what u mean. Get yourself to tesco. Buy bubblebath and chocolates, Pluto lo to bed, have a bath, a takeaway and a glass of wine and a movie from sky. When my oh goes out that's what I do, to the point I actually like it when he goes out with his mates image x
  • Can I just say, it does make you feel better to read of other peoples problems as yours are never as bad as you think when you see what others face. I was feeling really down this morning but at least I will see hubby tonight (sorry about that Winnie, that must be awful), my family are well (sorry mythical) and me and hubby are very much in love (I hope you are ok mummy 2 angels)

I dont mean to make anyone feel bad but we can all be grateful for something.

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 22 + 6

thanks hun, i be ok, things have been bad for ages, x i have my kids to get me though it. x
  • Don't worry mithical, you have clearly said you feel bad about the way you feel but you can't help it. I would probably feel the same.

Last year's MD was so rubbish that this year I've planned to spend the day with my girl friends from uni (none of whom have children yet). I don't buy into all the commercial crap and certainly don't expect pressies - but last year I had a 3-month old and had hoped for a break for just one day - no nappies, no making lunch, no housework, no dragging everyone round the supermarket trying to get out of them what they wanted for dinner (like supermarket shopping is a self-indulgent activity I'd treated myself to :x ), maybe a little nap. In other words, what some women's husbands do for them every weekend anyway :roll:

Think hubby is a bit miffed about this year but as we had a total blow-out about last year I didn't want him to feel he had to go over the top this year to compensate, so I opted out totally.

To be fair to him he did bring me toast and a card in bed and I got a lie-in til 8 this morning - but all the same, nope I'm not having the perfect traditional Mothers' Day either!
  • i'm probably on my own here but im really not bothered? hubby is at work so its just me and lo on my first ever mothers day, no cards etc, but you know what, i've just been reading the mothers day thread on the bereavement forum, we should all read it because i'm just so so bloody grateful i have time with my beautiful daughter, sod the cards and presents ;\)

Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go for you guys who feel put out today, thats absolutely fair enough and i hope your day turns out a bit better by the end, you never know :\)