Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

had a hospital appt yesterday - here's what they said x

Hi Ladies,

apologies for the hugggeeeee post!!!

Sorry I've not been around much - hope you're all okay x

I was going to have a little longer off BE, but I had a hospital appt yesterday so thought I'd share what was discussed, incase it helps anyone x

I think my story is a little different to some of you, so big apologies if this offends or scares anyone - that's really not my intention, I just wanted to jot everything down so that it makes more sense to myself, and also to mention some of the tests that have been done, incase it helps any of you. (as I've learnt from my doctor, that sometimes you don't ask you don't get - but that's another story!image )

Little bit of history if you don't know my little story -

In Nov I had the triple combined bloods test, a week later I had a phone call to say they had shown an increase risk in spina bifida, so I was booked in for a detailed scan the following day (I was 16 + 6 weeks), that's when we were told our baby had passed. As we were unable to have a post mortem, we are unsure if our baby did have SB , or that the increase risk hormone was showing up because our baby had already died.

In the middle of Feb I had an appt at the hospital, where they took loads of blood test to check everything with me. I had my follow up appt yesterday, and here's a few things which were discussed.

I had the bereavement officer with me and a consultant and they went through all of my notes, from even before I was pregnant to even little thing during the pregnancy (did I feel pregnant etc). they were both really nice and went through everything really detailed

??????? they weren't able to tell me why, but mentioned some things which will help me for a future pregnancy

??????? going to increase my folic acid intake (got to get a special prescription for this - bit peeved with my doctor as I asked her this back in Dec and she said there was no need - yet the consultant recommended it without me mentioning it!)

??????? I can have the nuchal fold test done at 11 weeks pregnant (in our area this isn't done on the nhs - so a bit shocked that even considering my history we will have to go private for this - about ??120 but will be worth if for the reassurance)

??????? will have the 2 normal scans (10 - 12 weeks and 20 weeks) but will also have an extra scan at 16 weeks - more for reassurance

??????? I will be under consultant care for our next pregnancy (the same consultant that I saw yesterday - I was really impressed with her, so I'm relieved she will be keeping a good eye on me next time)

??????? At my last appt I had blood tests taken to look for any clotting problems which could have been a reason for the mc - these have come back as normal

??????? had a thyroid test done too - got to wait on the results for that 9will let you know)

??????? when I think my baby had passed I had a bad cold, so asked if there was a possibility that I had swine flu or another infection. Unfortunately, they won't know for definite, but if I did have an infection which harmed baby I would have now built up the anti-bodies for the next pregnancy.

Hope it was okay to jot all of that down (apologies for the bullet points, it was just easier for me to remember everything putting it into points)

Feel a lot better now we've had the consultant appt and happier about next time,

Just got to get preggers now (poor hubby is absolutely knackered!!!)

Babydust to all you

Purple bubbles

X x x

Replies

• Well done purp,

Sounds like you have a few answers if not all. I hope you get your BFP soon! Keep doing the BD!

Lots of love xxx
  • Hey PB

So glad they were able to sit down with you & discuss everything in detail, very reassurring for nxt time, roll on that BFP now so hubby can get a break LOL xxx
  • Really pleased you had the opportunity to discuss all these things! At least you know the support is there when you need it next! I had a bad cold when I lost my littleone too and think it may have been swine flu. Least we will be protected next time round! xx
  • Really pleased you had the opportunity to discuss all these things! At least you know the support is there when you need it next! I had a bad cold when I lost my littleone too and think it may have been swine flu. Least we will be protected next time round! xx
  • Heya PB! Was just looking for you to see how you are and saw your post!
    I'm glad you have had some reassurance, it sounds very positive! Got my fingers firmly crossed your BFP is on its way! xxx
  • thanks for all of the replies girlies, feeling a lot more positive and reassurred now.

squiggle - thanks for looking out for me. how are you? Im always stalking you may girls. can't believe there have been two babies already, good to see they're doing okay and going from strength to strength. hope you and bump are good.

thanks again ladies

x x x
  • I'm good thanks, shocked at how quickly the time has gone! I know it's crazy 2 May babies have arrived already but it's lovely to see they are both doing well! I can't wait to see some pics. I just saw your other post with all your plans, sounds very exciting! Loving your positivity too, it's the best way to be! xxx
  • thank you for share your results... i hope things go well in the furture