Forum home Babies Baby

Rant-selfish people parking in parent spaces!!!!!!!

i need a rant!

why do people WITHOUT children think its ok to park in the PARENT AND CHILD spaces at supermarkets???? its sooooo annoying how people can be so ignorant! EVERY time we go shopping we drive straight to the parent spaces and can we EVER find one? NOOOOO! so we sit and wait until some young lad turns up and drives off in his BMW little sports car with no child! i really could swing for people like this! does anyone else get frustrated with selfish people??? you dont see people parking in the disabled spaces and rightly so, so why can they get away with parking in the parent spaces????

ashy x

Replies

• i agree!! To make things worse I saw my boss parked in one the other day and her youngest is 13!! Made me so mad-wanted to find her and have a go at her but don't think it would have gone down to well lol!!
    xx
  • this happened with me today too. i was waiting behind a car in a parent and child space at tescos (didnt know he didnt have a child at the time) as i was waiting for another lady with a child to leave a space and this bloke got in his car put his reverse lights on and just sat there! i was waiting for him to get arsey or beep and i was ready to give him a peace of my mind (after the last person at the town center car park parked SO close i couldnt get lizzie to the car door let alone open it to get her in it! left them a note!well my mum did,lol) but he didnt he just sat and waited, think he knew he was in the wrong!! it does annoy me but what can you do?!
  • hi
    this topic has come up lots of times on here. Infact there is a petition to sign on the information forum!

The fact is, I am not lazy! I don't mind walking to the shop but I NEED a safe walk (not across a car park) and a wider space to get my kids in and out. This also protects the car next to you from getting hit by the kids opening the door too wide.

It makes me soooo mad when people who have no need of the mother and baby spaces. Because they put the spaces so close to the door then ignorant lazy people will always use them.

I had a go once at a lady who parked in one with no kids. She said
    ' its alright for you bloody mothers you have all day to shop, I am on my lunch hour and need to get some shopping '

she honestly thought that was justification enough to take up a valuable baby space...

The answer is ...

my local authority issue mother and baby badges. You have to apply for them with the babies birth cert. They are issued till the child is 8. If you park in a space without the badge you get clamped or fined. Its not great for visitors but usually if they see a car seat in the car they will leave a note asking you to register online as a visitor. It is a good deterent and shoud be a system that is adopted countrywide..

d x
  • I had my first experience of this last week and I am so shocked at the number of people who park in these spaces without children. I have never done so and wouldn't even consider parking there beforehand!!

It's ridiculous and I wonder if anyone has ever had any joy with complaining at their local council, as I am considering doing this xx
  • oh god dont get me started......and to the point that we witnessed (er were gazumped) by a couple in a car with a disabled badge but all disabled spaces were full..........i mean i no they need to space too (more so) but we cant take theirs and dont so y should they be able to take ours....
  • oh god dont get me started......and to the point that we witnessed (er were gazumped) by a couple in a car with a disabled badge but all disabled spaces were full..........i mean i no they need to space too (more so) but we cant take theirs and dont so y should they be able to take ours....
  • Dont get me started either!! I get anoyed when disabled people park in our spaces, ive seen that a few times. The worst was my own SIL in a parent space with her 13 year old when im struggling with 2 toddlers and a big bump, and a 2 door car, and i couldnt get a wide space!!

AAARRRGGGHHHH

Gemm x
  • Next time I can't get a p&c space cos of morons, I'll park across two regular spaces in protest. Bet the patrol will do something about me doing that!!

This is actually what we do!
    I've only ever been questioned about it once, and I told the guy who asked me about moving it to go and grow some balls and get all the non parents out of the P&C spaces first.

I've never had a problem since. image

Honestly though, we do a quick sweep of the spaces, if there are none available we chose two spaces with a safe walk, even if its slightly further away or round the side, so we can take both kids in safely, and hand in our tesco mother and baby badge, with a note with our reg on it, and then pick up the badge on the way out image It works for us and means we get a big enough space to get everything in and out (esp as we usually end up with about ??250 of stuff in the car afterwards! :lol: you can imagine the moving around to get it all to fit in)
    not sure if it would work at other stores though

xxx
  • I got told off today for parking in P&C by a disabled woman, she was screaming bloody murder at me saying the youth of today (I'm 24!!), swearing in front of my baby girl and saying she'd slap my face if I was her daughter, that I had no respect etc etc, thinking I'd parked in a disabled space, I pointed to the pram painted on the floor and my baby and waited for a response. She didn't even apologise she just went on her way muttering about it. I couldnt believe it.

I would never ever park in a disabled space and have no problem disabled people parking in P&C spaces. I would much rather them be further away with a safe walk to the doors then have to struggle, even when I normally park at the farthest reaches of the car park some plank will park next to me up to my passenger side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxx
  • this really gets me although in my supermarket its women with older children who are the worst

why does a 12 year old need extra wide space??? it clearly says parent and toddler !!!!!!! he wasnt even a fat one!

these spaces are not near the store so dont really have lazy people parking there, so when i do get a space i have to carry my baby across a bust carpark!
  • we parket a few times in pandc spaces when i was in late pregnancy as i had spd, was hardly getting out and i needed the extra width to open the car door so i could swing out. usuallu though hubby just stopped the car before going into a space so i coud get out. does this make me a terrible person? image
  • This really fustrates me too!

i was out shopping on my own with Evan the other week and i couldn't park in a p&c space so had to park in a normal space - i came bac to the car to find that i the car next to me had parked that close that i could get evan (in his car seat) back in the car. I had to keep the car seat attached to the pram, leave him nxt to the other car and reverse my car out of my space in order for me to put him back in the car. It was ridiculous!!
  • Yes v annoying. I remember a very well-to-do 40ish woman nicking the last m&b space at asda when ds1 was tiny and marching confidently into the shop - I didn't confront her as I could just tell she was of the 'why should you get a special space' mentality!!

Just the other week I saw a couple nick the space right next to me (I was just about to pull away). The woman was looking at me -looking at her- I gave her one of those 'eyebrows raised' looks at her empty back seat (!) and she turned and said something really angry to her oh, had a face like thunder! I think she was going 'don't take the m&b spaces!' lol. He didn't move though.

Saying that, though, any disabled person is WELCOME to a p&c space before me any day of the week. I certainly think they should get the use of our spaces if all the disabled ones are full.

xx

• Saying that, though, any disabled person is WELCOME to a p&c space before me any day of the week. I certainly think they should get the use of our spaces if all the disabled ones are full.

this is very unlikely to ever be an issure, i have never ever seen more than half the disabled spaces filled, they have to have a certain % of the carpark as disabled spaces but why is this not also with parent and toddler, most of our big supermarkets have 10 max but 40 odd disabled - which are hardly used?
  • yes i agree, why is there so many disabled spaces? there must be loads more people with young children than disabled people? i like the idea of having a badge, like disabled people have that you can use until children are 8 years old, that makes sense to me! but i dont supose that will happen in the whole of the uk...
  • Saying that, though, any disabled person is WELCOME to a p&c space before me any day of the week. I certainly think they should get the use of our spaces if all the disabled ones are full.

i completley agree with this, where we live often all the disabled spaces are full and i'd never complain about a disabled preson using a p&c spot, my brother's in a wheelchair and he wouldn't be able to get out the car in a normal spot as he wouldn't be able to get the chair to the side of the car, his life is hard enough without it being more difficult
    xx
  • oh and i also agree that if all disabled spaces are taken that they can certainly use the p&c spaces!
  • I must admit there was 1 time when I have parked in parent and child out of habit, even though I didnt have my ds with me. It was about 8 pm though , very quiet and there were about 10 other p&c spaces free, and as I was only popping in I thought it'd be ok to stay there - don't shoot me! image
    Before I had lo I wouldn't have dreamed of parking in one!! I cant believe people actually do it, but I only have the 1 and have no problem with parking in a normal space so try to avoid the fighting for them! lol
  • It really winds me up too but I have to admit that I parked in one whilst 8 months pregnant after some idiot parked so close to my drivers side the day before that I had to climb in THROUGH MY BOOT! It's not easy with a massive bump I can tell you!

I did have a baby with me, she was just still inside my tummy image

xx
  • for those mothers on here going on about diabled people try being bloody disabled and see how you like it!!!!!

i am disabled, and by law have every right to park in a mother and baby space. i did before i had my daughter because where i live its hard to get a disabled space.

and the reason why there are more disabled spaces? because its a legal requirement.

i didnt choose to be disabled. did you chose to be a mother???

it always annoys me how whenever someone does this type of topic there are always some mothers who have to be jelous and bring up the amount of disabled bays there are. to be honest its a bit pathetic!

do you know what i do when there are no disabled bays or m&B bays i park in a normal bay, stuggle to get my daugher out of the car, grin and bear the absoult agony i go through just to do that and get on with it and not complain about it. its quite easy to do, you should try it sometime,