Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

2nd MC - Anyone else?

Hi ladies,

Well i'm going through my 2nd consecutive MC at the moment.
I really don't understand why i've MC again, especially as I already have a healthy daughter who is now two. I had a threatened MC with her at 16 weeks but with bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy, she was born fine at 42 weeks.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they wont test until you've had 3 MC, is that right.
Does anyone have any advice on what I can do or where i'm going wrong?? xx

Replies

• They won't test till three and even than they sometimes don't. I have had one mc at 8.5 weeks which we did not discover till 12.5 weeks. And now I had a mc at 5 weeks and one at 4.5 weeks. The last two don't count as mc's but as chemical pregnancies and my doctor told me to have a few more before he would be thinking off testing.

How far along where you the second time? Everything under 6 weeks is classed as chemical pregnancy apparently. :S Anyhow, doctor told me there was nothing I could do. I asked him if a low dose of aspirin and a higher dose of folic acid might help and he told me he would not stop me from buying it over the counter, but did not want to percribe it. :S He did not saw a reason to do so. He just said to keep trying and to stay away from pregnancy tests till I was over a week late and not to test with sensitive tests so I would not pick up an early pregnancy.

I am still fuming about that visit. (it was last week) I don't understand how people can be the opposite of understanding. I am speaking to the nurse tomorrow and might mention how I feel. We decided to keep trying for now and to just continu with the sperm meets egg plan. No charting, no ov tracking and I will test on lo's birthday if af hasn't arrived. (than period is over a week late)
  • Hi Breighlin,
    I was only 5 weeks this time and 6+2 last time, so both were very early. That must have been horrific not finding out until 12.5 weeks image

Did you find the SMEP work well for you? It took us 6 months to conceive this time and don't fancy waiting another 6 months.

My Mother also said about the aspirin thing so that's interesting that your doc mentioned it too. She said it was to help with 'sticky blood'?!?! Apparently you can have a blood test for it. I didn't know about the folic acid though, i'll read up about it, but thank you very much for the tip. What were you reasons for the aspirin and FA?

I'm so sorry that you had such an awful experience with your GP, that's really unfair. I think it is a good idea to see a nurse xx
  • hi hun, I'm sorry you're having to go through this again. I too have had 2 consecutive mc, 1 at 6+2 and the other at 6+5 and both times have hurt like hell. It took me quite a while to realise that there wasn't anything I could do to prevent it, though I know that doesn't make it hurt any less. I'm sorry my reply is quick but I'm on my fone and I don't want to lose my reply. Sending you lots of hugs sweetie x x x
  • Hello Amy,

I have read about the aspirin and folic acid and because of that made an appointment with the doctor. knowing very well that there is no evidence to support it. If you do have something clotting wrong it doesn't always show up in tests and it could just be a one off thing. So a lot of doctors refuse to perscribe them. Other say it can not do any harm, so I will perscribe it and see what happends. (it really depends on the doctor you see)

We have done the SMEP whilst conceiving after our first lo. First time took us 2 months (mmc at 12 weeks) second time was in february but was only the second real cycle (5.5 weeks) and the third was in march in the cycle straight after the early miscarriage last month. (5 weeks) So it does made us conceive easy, but must say before with our lo we did not do anything except stop using contraception and fell within first month.

I really hope you get a sticky bfp soon. They do say you are more fertile after a mc because your body is preparing itself for carrying a baby and it could be easier to fall pregnant after a miscarriage. That is one of the reasons we decided to try straight away after the last two.
  • Thank you, we'll defo follow SMEP then and i'll book a GP appointment to discuss the aspirin, although even if he says no i'll prob still take it if I read enough! Lol!

Hi rainbow, sorry to hear that you have had to go through this twice too. Thank you for taking the time to reply. This site has helped so much in the years since I joined, especially through my last MC so i'll prob be on here more now with lots more silly questions! xx
  • Hiya,

Mine haven't been very consecutive in a way but you could say they sort of have been as my first was 14 years ago and my second 2 weeks ago but i haven't been pregnant inbetween.

I've never heard of the aspirin and folic acid thing before.

My doctor said to me that my next pregnancy i may be monitored a bit more closely and could possibly get an earlier mw appointment. But i'll see what happens when it happens.

A friend of mine was tested for Factor V Lieden after her second mc which is to do with blood clotting which she only gets during pregnancy not normally, you can't be tested until you're pg but you could ask to be tested then.

xx
  • Really sorry to hear that you are going through a second mc. I would go back to the doctors if I was you and take a list of questions - good luck sweetie!