Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

question about opk please help!!

Hi all,

This is probably a really stupid question but.......

I've just got some opk's from ebay and used my first one today. I should explain I have no idea where I am in cycle as am on cd82 (thanks for messing my body up microgynon!)

The instructions said that the test line must be as dark or darker than the control line to indicate ovulation.

My test had a fainter test line than control line which instructions said meant no LH surge had been detected.

Is this because the LH is in your system anyway and only when it increases will it go darker on test?

Does it give me any indication of where I might be in cycle (getting a faint line)?

Any advice would be great!!

xxx

Replies

• Hi,

Yes, there will always normally be a faint line as you have LH in your system. The test line will go the same colour or darker than the control line when it detects a surge which means you will then OV around 12 - 36 hrs later.
    Unfortunatly it will not tell you where you are in your cycle. You will just need to test everyday. I was advised by one of the ladies on here to test twice daily at 10am and 10pm.
    I got my pos opk on the 4th April. On the 2nd and 3rd the test line had started getting darker (altho it was still neg) than the line had been previously so i was expecting a positive to be imminent.

Good luck.x
  • Hi Kernow, I have similar tests and unfortunately, having done them for a little while now, the lines give you no indication of where you are in your cycle as they fluctuate in intensity everyday until you get the surge, as yes you do have LH in your system all the time. You will definately know you have your LH surge as the line truely is as dark or darker than the control line when it happens. Make sure you test in the afternoon too as this is when the LH is strongest. I thought mine weren't working the first month then I got the nice dark test line! This link will help you, it helped me figure out what I was looking for:

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/positive-ovulation-test.html

Good luck!
  • Thanks ladies, babyonboard, I just had a look at the pictures and that was really helpful so thank you. I tested at about 12.30 this afternoon so do you think tomorrow I should test a bit later? And should I then test at about the same time each day?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
  • oh one more question; The test line whilst def fainter than the control line is quite clear and not that far off colour of control line, do you think that could mean I'm leading up to ov? I know I need to keep testing everyday but just wondered how faint your lines were leading up to the day you got the positive

thanks and sorry for being a bit of an opk numpty!

xx
  • Ok, so did another opk test and now not even a hint of a line? What does this mean???? Have my levels just fluctuated that much in a few hours? is this possible??
  • Hi I am G/C from Due In May. I used OPK's when we tried to conceive. Half way through trying to conceive we decided to put it off until after Xmas and decided to use the OPK's as a back up to the rythym method. IE If I got a POS on OPK we wouldn't do it.

Well, I remember having my implant out on 29th July last year. 1st AF then on 13/08/09. I then got a POS on OPK on 29th August. HOWEVER, we had done it before the positive and then not afterwards, and to cut a long story short, sperm can live for 72 hours, and we must have caught the window and conceived straight away!!

The POS I got on the stick was a faint line, but it must have been a positive as I now look like an elephant (35 weeks). So, whilst they work, I think that any faint POS is a positive, as it was for me. I just had cheapo sticks off ebay too.

Good luck! and just grab your DH every other day for the month and it should happen for you!
  • I disagree with Fabian even though she's in a better position to know than me :\), Saying that I was pg and lost it so maybe not. However I would say she OV'd at a time nearer to when they bd'd and that the line she thought was +ve was not. She may of in fact got a +ve a few days later after she tested if she had tested again.

However a faint line on an OPK is not a positive result. Some people test twice a day but they say it's unecessary although I did on the first month when it came close to the time I thought I would OV. I tested at 2pm and again at 7or 8pm, I got my first +ve at 2pm, again at 8pm, again at 2pm the next day and then again at 8 pm the following day then a -ve at 2pm the day after. So i had increased LH for 2 days and probabaly ovulated right after that. And yes all through testing I got varying degrees of intensity on my lines, and I didn't necessarily get darker and darker lines as I led up to my LH surge. However it was definately as dark as or darker than the control line when I got a +ve finally and I could then certainly see the difference.

I will try and upload some photos for you of my opk's - sad I kept them I know!!!! image
  • I can't seem to get the pics up!
  • I disagree with Fabian even though she's in a better position to know than me :\), Saying that I was pg and lost it so maybe not. However I would say she OV'd at a time nearer to when they bd'd and that the line she thought was +ve was not. She may of in fact got a +ve a few days later after she tested if she had tested again.

However a faint line on an OPK is not a positive result. Some people test twice a day but they say it's unecessary although I did on the first month when it came close to the time I thought I would OV. I tested at 2pm and again at 7or 8pm, I got my first +ve at 2pm, again at 8pm, again at 2pm the next day and then again at 8 pm the following day then a -ve at 2pm the day after. So i had increased LH for 2 days and probabaly ovulated right after that. And yes all through testing I got varying degrees of intensity on my lines, and I didn't necessarily get darker and darker lines as I led up to my LH surge. However it was definately as dark as or darker than the control line when I got a +ve finally and I could then certainly see the difference.

I will try and upload some photos for you of my opk's - sad I kept them I know!!!! image

hey hun, just to let you know I tested each day for the week following the pos and they remained faint positives for about 2 days - we were using them as a form of contraception, so I needed to know so we didn't do it LOL!! Look where that got me, eh?!

I was confused at the time as I used to come on TTC a lot and all the ladies were saying the same as you and a POAS on the OPK's like all the time to find out. I think its the same with the PG tests, even a faint pos is a pos! But I only had one month of trying so I may get a different experience next time we have a go. It could be that I OV'd but the hormone levels weren't as strong as the next persons, but it still happened for me, so I guess there is a bit of hope for someone out there who may never get the dark line that I was looking for, I just wanted to sort of reassure people that they may still lay an egg even if the OPK's are leading them to question their ovulation effectiveness. When you are TTC there is a lot to worry about fertility wise so I thought I would share my experience with you gals image

Baby dust by the TON to you all!

[Modified by: Fabian79 on April 09, 2010 06:18 PM]